Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Anyone here gotten off an ssri and gone back on?

[Fo...]

[mo...]

I cold turkeyed Cymbalta after 6 years of use. I had some pretty nasty physical side effects, but handled everything well mentally for about 6 months.

However at the 6 month mark, my mental health declined significantly and I went back on the Cymbalta. It is the right medication for me. I stayed on it for another 8 years. At the end of last year, I had to go off it again for unrelated medical purposes. Tapered over two months and did SO much better, no major physical side effects.

I do plan on going back on it in the future, after having children.

[33...]

Hi, I was on SSRI for 15 years in a row and tapered successfully and was off for a year but i had to start it again due to huge stressing life problems but a year after it started to harm me deeply, huge reactions similar to serotonin syndrome, i halved my dose and resolved the problem for another year but it started to harm me again so i had to CT, i had no other choice. The WD symptoms were big but could live with them for 3 months, then they got bigger and at 6 months it became unbearable. I tried to reinstate 4 times since then but i was getting worse and worse reactions everytime i tried so i just gave up (btw that's what led me to daily benzos for months and dependency).

So now i am tapering benzos but after a little more than a year, i think SSRI WD is done, i might not be 100% healed but most symptoms resolved and i feel normal about it, as normal as you can feel when you are in benzos WD so i couldn't say if there is any SSRI symptoms around yet.

[Cr...]

Yes. Twice. I’m one of those patients that thinks they’re good and wants to get off and gets off and things go south but I think it’s because I was tapering too fast. Next time I’m going to taper extremely slow. Maybe 5% or less a month. 

Edited by [Cr...]

[id...]

I was on and off remeron a few times. 

It's like a toxic relationship: you think it's good for you so you get back together only to realize it hurts you.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
[Be...]

I was on citalopram for 14 years and came off last year.  I didn’t do a proper taper ( doctors advice 🙄) but was ok.  Then in May this year tried to reinstate it at same dose and ended up in ER with suspected serotonin syndrome.  This is a common theme and Melissa Boultier talks about it on her yt channel.  I have slowly gone onto Mirtazapine in the past two weeks.  Mainly to help my sleep.  When I’m off Valium, I’ll probably slow taper that off as well.