Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Bradykinesia

[Di...]

[Di...]

Is anyone suffering from bradykinesia and/or other Parkinson's-like symptoms, especially those in advanced age (80+) after coming off benzos?

Thanks.

Hi, @[Di...], and welcome to BenzoBuddies! We're glad you've found us. Could you, please, elaborate a bit on your condition and tell us more of your benzo story? I think BB members could help you better this way.

Are you asking about muscle symptoms,  meaning their weakness, rigidity, twitching, spasms, pain etc or something else? Have you been diagnosed with bradykinesia? Different muscle issues are very common during benzo WD and however frightening,  they can be just symptoms bound to subside. I personally have had lots of it.

Wishing you well with all my heart!

• Like 1

[Di...]

Thanks for this. I'll try to explain more clearly what I meant. It's my mum, 83 years old. She had been on En/Delorazepam for almost 30 years. I am not sure about the dosage, but she had been doing a sort of tapering on her own over the years ending up with 2 drops per day until July 2022, when she had to undergo surgery owing to femur fracture. Until then she was not well, but was overall still self-sufficient. In the hospital, they messed up with the dosage coming to give her 20 drops per day (and this happened again in March '23 in ER). After being discharged, a true nightmare started likely due to - in hindsight - cold turkey. I thought it was the worsening of her condition, since she had been diagnosed with PD/Parkinsonism in 2019 (no medication). However, she has been experiencing so many and awkward symptoms since then as to spur me onto further research: that's how I've landed here. She has now become almost 100% disabled: she can walk but only with a medical walker and for a very short time. She suffers from rigidity, pains, swollen ankles (esp. her right leg), itching, even akathisia... just to mention her major physical symptoms... She is going through a long and painful wave especially after a few months of medical cannabis, which did not help at all. And then there is bradykinesia as she has become extremely slow in all her movements (both arms and legs; her posture is terrible and when she sits her joints look so stiff). After browsing your website and other online support groups, I am all the more convinced that she may be suffering from some kind of iatrogenic or drug induced neurological dysfunction rather than 'normal' PD/Parkinsonism.

I'd like just to know whether such conspicuous rigidity and slowness may be a common symptom during benzo WD. Thank you and all very best.

Hi, @[Di...], sorry for your poor Mother. It's unfair the elderly have to suffer from benzo withdrawal on top of everything.

I'm not an expert but as far as i know, benzo, especially taken long term, as well as its withdrawal makes everything worse and more complicated. Even if your Motherer has her own health issue, its symptoms can manifest themselves much more intens and feel harder than the issue is in fact. It's to do with our Nervous System getting unstable and hyperactive due to benzo. The same goes to any supplements or other drugs. NS may overwhelmingly react just to anything, including other substances.

As for conspicuous rigidity and slowness, there are members here, who are going through exactly the same and due to benzo or z-drugs. These medications are extremely effective muscle relaxers and definitely affect our muscles.

All in all, I think you're right. It's quite possible for your Mother to be suffering from benzo induced neurological dysfunction. Wishing your Mother and you well!

• Like 1

[Di...]

Many thanks for this. We are obviously aware that her old age is a disadvantage. She feels hopeless, whereas I try to stay positive as much as I can. As far as you know, are there success stories of healing related to the elderly?

Thanks and all very best.

[Pa...]

Hello @[Di...], I'm sorry to say I'm not aware of any specific success stories written by elderly members, and if there are, it would be very difficult to search for them as age is rarely mentioned. 

We don't see very many people over 80 sign up here but we'll often discourage them from tapering off of these medications, the risk of never experiencing recovery is too great. 

I wasn't sure from your post but is your mother completely benzo free now? 

[Pa...]
10 hours ago, [[D...] said:

Thanks for this. Yes, she is...

Has reinstatement been discussed?  We never know if it can help, if someone can comfortably return to their previous use but in her case, it might be worth a try.