Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Switching Antidepressant after long term use

[Al...]

[Al...]

Hi everyone,

I'm curious to hear if anyone has had success switching from one antidepressant to another after long term use. If so, could you provide some details about the switch? I'm in a situation where my long term antidepressant (Prozac) has lost effectiveness and I'm wondering if it is even possible to switch to another one.

[Ro...]

I switched from Lexapro to Effexor.  I did it in step-wise fashion, like going to Valium from another benzo.  The transition went smoothly with zero withdrawal symptoms.  

[Al...]
47 minutes ago, [[R...] said:

I switched from Lexapro to Effexor.  I did it in step-wise fashion, like going to Valium from another benzo.  The transition went smoothly with zero withdrawal symptoms.  

Thanks for replying! Can I ask how long were you on Lexapro and how Effexor compares to it?

[Ro...]
31 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

Thanks for replying! Can I ask how long were you on Lexapro and how Effexor compares to it?

I was on an average of 15 mg of Lexapro from 11/2015 to 03/2021, so about 5 1/2 years.  I actually have my doubts that taking Effexor XR (150 mg/day) benefited me.  The Lexapro seemed to have lost its benefit.

[Al...]

I've heard that Effexor is very hard to withdraw from. Have you tried any other ADs?

[Ro...]
2 hours ago, [[A...] said:

I've heard that Effexor is very hard to withdraw from. Have you tried any other ADs?

Long time ago I was on the tricyclic Adapin, and I was on Prozac for a short time years ago. Didn't have trouble coming off those.

I too have read that Effexor is hard to withdraw from.  The Effexor XR comes in capsules with beads and I'm not sure how to proceed with a slow, responsible taper.

[Al...]
1 minute ago, [[R...] said:

I too have read that Effexor is hard to withdraw from.  The Effexor XR comes in capsules with beads and I'm not sure how to proceed with a slow, responsible taper.

I think it's possible to taper but you have to count beads to do so and it's a bit complicated because not all the beads are the same. If you ever want to taper, Surviving Antidepressants is a great site for support and advice.

[Ro...]
8 hours ago, [[A...] said:

I think it's possible to taper but you have to count beads to do so and it's a bit complicated because not all the beads are the same. If you ever want to taper, Surviving Antidepressants is a great site for support and advice.

Hello, me again. :-)

Just found out that Blink Pharmacy sells Effexor XR tablets, but they're more expensive than the capsules.  I'll have to find out if my insurance covers the cost of tablets for when it comes time to taper.

• Like 1