Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Xanax Tapering and Diet

[Ma...]

[Ma...]

Hello, everyone. I previously posted here months ago that I've been on Clonazepam for 8 months and switched to Xanax which led to terrible withdrawal symptoms. Luckily, I finally feel ready to start tapering Xanax using Ashton Manual. I actually reduced my dosage 10% already and I'm on my first week of tapering. It's really hot where I live, so I had to reduce my Propranolol dosage by half(all of a sudden I had issues with low blood pressure). And now I'm on to reducing Xanax. I'm still taking escitalopram 10 mg as usual. But my question now is: do any of you has any tips for diets? I'm basically addicted to sugar because of these meds and I didn't even liked eating chocolate that much before. I tried quitting sugar 3 years ago but I managed to do it for a month and then I felt my stomach sick all the time so I started eating that sugar again. I've had my blood tests done - nothing concerning on glucose levels. Still I want to quit but the urges are too strong. Also, I'd be happy if you share foods that helped you while tapering. Thank you all. ❤️

[Js...]

Hello @[Ma...]

On 14/07/2024 at 10:18, [[M...] said:

Luckily, I finally feel ready to start tapering Xanax using Ashton Manual. I actually reduced my dosage 10% already and I'm on my first week of tapering. 

Congrats! 10% is a good jump and start <3

On 14/07/2024 at 10:18, [[M...] said:

It's really hot where I live, so I had to reduce my Propranolol dosage by half(all of a sudden I had issues with low blood pressure). And now I'm on to reducing Xanax. I'm still taking escitalopram 10 mg as usual. But my question now is: do any of you has any tips for diets? I'm basically addicted to sugar because of these meds and I didn't even liked eating chocolate that much before. I tried quitting sugar 3 years ago but I managed to do it for a month and then I felt my stomach sick all the time so I started eating that sugar again. I've had my blood tests done - nothing concerning on glucose levels. Still I want to quit but the urges are too strong. Also, I'd be happy if you share foods that helped you while tapering. Thank you all. ❤️

It is humid and hot where I live, downright unbearable at times! When it comes to beating the heat, the best way is diet. Often times when I am sweating excessively, eating something sugary like chocolate or candy will actually dehydrate me more. While it is my first instinct, it is not the best solution; instead, I choose to eat fruits and snack on vegetables: 

• Oranges (sweet and a lot of water)
  • Berries (blueberries are my favorite, can always freeze them too)
  • Carrots and ranch
  • Avocado (whenever I eat one I feel amazing)

Since you are tapering  X, it is best to get a head start on your diet, like you are now. 

The foods that helped me during my taper were just as important to me as the foods I avoided. This allowed me to keep this routine when I finally beat X. I targeted foods good for my gut as I never forgave the benzo belly feeling. I also tried to fit what was in my budget.

So basically lunch and dinner would be almost the same; I would just cook a lot of it and make sure I can eat the same thing for lunch. This alleviates the work for me and controls what I eat. 

Breakfast:

Greek yogurt with banana, berries, walnuts, flax seed, boiled egg w/ salt and pepper. Very little coffee, like two gulps of iced coffee and no more.

Lunch:

Rice, kimchee (they even sell kimchee at wal-mart) black beans or chickpeas canned, protein. I prefer fish but chicken or beef is fine too for me. Onions / brocolli / carrots / mushrooms sauteed.

Dinner:

Same as above, but sometimes soup and vegetables. Brocolli and squash.

Fruits throughout the day to snack on and curb the cravings. A lot of water. I prefer really cold water with ice as that also helps me supress cravings. Now, I always have like a small box of brownies, but I only eat one a day, similarily, in the morning I have coffee. I do not deprive myself of the goods in life, but I have learned to know what triggers me - excessive amounts of processed sugar, or caffeine.

Since I eat healthy, I do not feel the need for supplements. The only thing I take is melatonin at night.

Much love and good luck 

Your buddy, free of X 50 days.

[Js...]

Oh! And no fast food. Gosh fast food is so expensive these days....its not even fast anymore :brickwall:

For 15$ at Mcdonalds, I can buy so many healthy foods that would last days. My wallet and my stomach will feel better.

[Ma...]
On 17/07/2024 at 05:04, [[J...] said:

Hello @[Ma...]

Congrats! 10% is a good jump and start <3

It is humid and hot where I live, downright unbearable at times! When it comes to beating the heat, the best way is diet. Often times when I am sweating excessively, eating something sugary like chocolate or candy will actually dehydrate me more. While it is my first instinct, it is not the best solution; instead, I choose to eat fruits and snack on vegetables: 

• Oranges (sweet and a lot of water)
  • Berries (blueberries are my favorite, can always freeze them too)
  • Carrots and ranch
  • Avocado (whenever I eat one I feel amazing)

Since you are tapering  X, it is best to get a head start on your diet, like you are now. 

The foods that helped me during my taper were just as important to me as the foods I avoided. This allowed me to keep this routine when I finally beat X. I targeted foods good for my gut as I never forgave the benzo belly feeling. I also tried to fit what was in my budget.

So basically lunch and dinner would be almost the same; I would just cook a lot of it and make sure I can eat the same thing for lunch. This alleviates the work for me and controls what I eat. 

Breakfast:

Greek yogurt with banana, berries, walnuts, flax seed, boiled egg w/ salt and pepper. Very little coffee, like two gulps of iced coffee and no more.

Lunch:

Rice, kimchee (they even sell kimchee at wal-mart) black beans or chickpeas canned, protein. I prefer fish but chicken or beef is fine too for me. Onions / brocolli / carrots / mushrooms sauteed.

Dinner:

Same as above, but sometimes soup and vegetables. Brocolli and squash.

Fruits throughout the day to snack on and curb the cravings. A lot of water. I prefer really cold water with ice as that also helps me supress cravings. Now, I always have like a small box of brownies, but I only eat one a day, similarily, in the morning I have coffee. I do not deprive myself of the goods in life, but I have learned to know what triggers me - excessive amounts of processed sugar, or caffeine.

Since I eat healthy, I do not feel the need for supplements. The only thing I take is melatonin at night.

Much love and good luck 

Your buddy, free of X 50 days.

Hello,

Thank you so so very much!! ❤️ I've read your answer yesterday but didn't have the time to reply. 

I'm trying to follow your diet and by far it's going great. I usually don't drink coffee because it's triggering my anxiety. I still struggle with the sugar cravings and it's this time of the month so I'm allowing myself to some sweets but not too much. I've had some pretty bad gastric pains when on Clonazepam and they sometimes keep coming back but when I went to a doctor a few months ago, done the tests for H.Pylori and the echo graphic showed literally nothing. There was no reason for these gastric pains and the reflux. So, my suspicion here is benzos playing a huge role. I've had some pains today but at least I didn't have to stay in bed.

I'm so happy you are free from Xanax!! This is really great! How are you feeling right now? Any withdrawal symptoms? 

Sending much love and hugs ❤️

[Js...]
On 21/07/2024 at 16:50, [[M...] said:

Hello,

Thank you so so very much!! ❤️ I've read your answer yesterday but didn't have the time to reply. 

I'm trying to follow your diet and by far it's going great. I usually don't drink coffee because it's triggering my anxiety. I still struggle with the sugar cravings and it's this time of the month so I'm allowing myself to some sweets but not too much. I've had some pretty bad gastric pains when on Clonazepam and they sometimes keep coming back but when I went to a doctor a few months ago, done the tests for H.Pylori and the echo graphic showed literally nothing. There was no reason for these gastric pains and the reflux. So, my suspicion here is benzos playing a huge role. I've had some pains today but at least I didn't have to stay in bed.

I'm so happy you are free from Xanax!! This is really great! How are you feeling right now? Any withdrawal symptoms? 

The gut was certainly sensitive during my taper and withdrawal phase. Benzo gut/belly went away after about 15 days into being sober. 

On 21/07/2024 at 16:50, [[M...] said:

The only two symptoms I still experience are anxiety (it's manageable) and a tingling feeling in my pinky finger & toe that come and go. Each week the tingling lessens, but anytime it comes up I do get a tad bit more anxious. 

Other than that, fully functioning and working. 

Thank you for your kind words Martina. Feel free to msg me anytime, I still log onto BB here and there to read and support other members in anyway I can.

Good luck on your taper & Godspeed,

Forever strong :boxer:

• Love 1