Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Leg Issues

Posted (edited)

Hey guys, 

first of all please excuse my bad English, I’m from Germany. 4 months ago I jumped off from 1.5 years on clonazepam 2.0mg. The first months I got terrible crawling, tingling and numb sensations on my forehead. Since 3 weeks it moved to my left leg which is tingling and completely numb like it’s asleep. But I can still feel everything on my skin, it just feels weak and weird. I also got muscle twitching, stiffness and thightness but just in my left leg:( Sometimes it hurts but not that bad. I am really concerned about never getting back to normal. Is someone here who experienced stuff like that and recovered? 

thanks in advance , wish you all the best!

Edited by [...]
  • Like 1

[Co...]

Hello @[...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

I suffered similar effects when rapidly tapered off (over a period of six weeks) from 4.5mg clonazepam. The solution for me (under the direction of neurologist) was to reinstate a small dose (0.5mg). I still felt dreadful, but I at least my sense of touch returned to the left side of my body.

Why did you suddenly stop taking your medication?

And yes, I recovered. I actually wen through several cycles of withdrawal and reinstatement (again, under the direction of my neurologist). But I could never go all the way down to zero when tapering off over six weeks. When I finally tapered off for good, I tapered off over six months (still a fast taper given the dose).

• Like 1

Hey,

I tapered down similar to you in 6 weeks because I made a rehab from oxycodone 160mg and 2mg Klonopin. Nice to hear that you recovered from that! I’m not sure about reinstating because I’m off 4 months and i don’t have the option to taper down in small doses like that…

The people in m rehab clinic told me that 6 weeks is more than enough. I am really concerned about given permanent damage to my body:(

[De...]

I had Rapid taper from k. Over 4 weeks. From more than 2 to zero. 
i had similar feelings. My left hand was problem for me 😀

now at six month this simptom is almost disapear. It is one of the last simptoms i have to deal with And hope till the end of this month it will disapear forever 💪

• Like 3

[De...]
18 minutes ago, [[v...] said:

You can read my profile to see. I have been journaling since going through withdrawal and just added all the symptoms I've had for the last year. I noted an approx. date next to the symptoms that subsided and approx time frame. 

Where can i find this?

[vo...]
1 hour ago, [[D...] said:

Where can i find this?

In my profile history. If you can't access it, let me know and I'll PM you.

• Like 1

[De...]
1 hour ago, [[v...] said:

In my profile history. If you can't access it, let me know and I'll PM you.

Found it. Thank you! How long you have iching? 

[vo...]
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, [[D...] said:

Found it. Thank you! How long you have iching? 

Since August 2023. It's become progressively less frequent. I guess I'd say I went from a 10 on a scale of really itchy from head to toe most of the time to a 2 or 3 being every couple of days. "Anxiety triggers" now set it off. Progress!

Edited by [vo...]
clarification
  • Like 1

[Le...]
6 hours ago, [[C...] said:

I suffered similar effects when rapidly tapered off (over a period of six weeks) from 4.5mg clonazepam. The solution for me (under the direction of neurologist) was to reinstate a small dose (0.5mg). I still felt dreadful, but I at least my sense of touch returned to the left side of my body.

And yes, I recovered. I actually wen through several cycles of withdrawal and reinstatement (again, under the direction of my neurologist). But I could never go all the way down to zero when tapering off over six weeks. When I finally tapered off for good, I tapered off over six months (still a fast taper given the dose).

Whats with the left side of the body thing?  I have read it from lots of others and experienced it myself. Even my left eye wouldnt look to the left or up. I still have facial twitching on the left almost constantly and its where I had bad T. 

• Like 1

[De...]
8 hours ago, [[v...] said:

Since August 2023. It's become progressively less frequent. I guess I'd say I went from a 10 on a scale of really itchy from head to toe most of the time to a 2 or 3 being every couple of days. "Anxiety triggers" now set it off. Progress!

Thank you for answering! 
i have some iching And i read it can be because of low iron. Mine is extremly low. So not sure if its from wd or low iron. Is your iron levels ok?

[De...]
5 hours ago, [[L...] said:

Whats with the left side of the body thing?  I have read it from lots of others and experienced it myself.

I read about left side too. Idk What is happening there i would like to know why left side is problem for many😀

8 hours ago, [[m...] said:

Hello, I just went through something similar, first on my right foot and it lasted quite a while, I thought it was an infection.Then the left leg, in this case it only lasted a short time and I hardly notice it anymore.In my case, after 28 months of my last piece.

Hey, for how long did you take benzos? And how are you in general after 28 months? For how long did the sensations in your foot and leg last? 

thanks in advance 

[vo...]
4 hours ago, [[D...] said:

Thank you for answering! 
i have some iching And i read it can be because of low iron. Mine is extremly low. So not sure if its from wd or low iron. Is your iron levels ok?

@[De...]Hi. Yes, I had my iron levels checked and they are normal. The Ashton Manual does say that itching can be a symptom of  PWS, but I see online that low iron can cause it too. So I'm not sure about your itching. Mine has to be the PWS. It falls in line with other symptoms that have since subsided - the tingling in my back and twitching and jerking in my legs.

• Like 1

[Co...]
10 hours ago, [[L...] said:

Whats with the left side of the body thing?  I have read it from lots of others and experienced it myself. Even my left eye wouldnt look to the left or up. I still have facial twitching on the left almost constantly and its where I had bad T. 

It something which was noted 20+ years ago. It is not exclusively the left side, but there does appear to be a large discrepancy between the two sides when reporting these kinds of symptoms.

[De...]
2 hours ago, [[v...] said:

@[De...]Hi. Yes, I had my iron levels checked and they are normal. The Ashton Manual does say that itching can be a symptom of  PWS, but I see online that low iron can cause it too. So I'm not sure about your itching. Mine has to be the PWS. It falls in line with other symptoms that have since subsided - the tingling in my back and twitching and jerking in my legs.

I think its more likely to be wd than iron thing. We will see 🫣

• Like 1

[aa...]
On 09/07/2024 at 21:38, [[C...] said:

Hello Colin,

I cold turkeyed 28 months back 0.75mg klonopin after long term use. My left side full body is numb.  Do u think reinstating will make me stable? 

[aa...]
On 09/07/2024 at 22:05, [[v...] said:

@[...]I believe if you just hang in there and tolerate what is happening to your body, you will be ok. I went through symptoms like yours too. You can read my profile to see. I have been journaling since going through withdrawal and just added all the symptoms I've had for the last year. I noted an approx. date next to the symptoms that subsided and approx time frame. The rest of the symptoms are still happening. You'll be ok -  your body is just adjusting.

PLz help me my whole left is numb after cold turkey since 28 months. I dono what to do

[Co...]
3 minutes ago, [[a...] said:

Hello Colin,

I cold turkeyed 28 months back 0.75mg klonopin after long term use. My left side full body is numb.  Do u think reinstating will make me stable? 

Prof. Ashton thought there was no good pharmacological rationale for reinstating with the intent to again taper off - but this time to 'do it properly' - after an extended period of being benzodiazepine-free. After 28 months of being off, reinstatement likely will only result in undoing most or all of the recovery you have experienced so far.

I'll also add that the extent of the recovery is not always fully apparent. Members often report a rapid turn around after an extended period of being off. It seems there is sometimes a tipping point, where recovery from symptoms are really quite sudden.

Of course, I cannot be exact about these things. But that's the perspective I have developed from members at BB over the past 20 years.

[Co...]
5 minutes ago, [[a...] said:

PLz help me my whole left is numb after cold turkey since 28 months. I dono what to do

After you experienced no improvement? Did you see a doctor to rule out other possible causes?

[aa...]
1 minute ago, [[C...] said:

Prof. Ashton thought there was no good pharmacological rationale for reinstating with the intent to again taper off - but this time to 'do it properly' - after an extended period of being benzodiazepine-free. After 28 months of being off, reinstatement likely will only result in undoing most or all of the recovery you have experienced so far.

I'll also add that the extent of the recovery is not always fully apparent. Members often report a rapid turn around after an extended period of being off. It seems there is sometimes a tipping point, where recovery from symptoms are really quite sudden.

Of course, I cannot be exact about these things. But that's the perspective I have developed from members at BB over the past 20 years.

Also therapies don't work..for example accupunture or cupping therapies just give temporary relief but we're as reve up the brain and after we calm from the wave the spasms are back .

[aa...]
4 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

After you experienced no improvement? Did you see a doctor to rule out other possible causes?

Colin as soon as I had this i thought I had a stroke so got a brain mri and spine mri both are normal.