Important Survey - Please Participate ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

Psychiatrist retired suddenly, NEED help

[As...]

I was told all of a sudden on Thursday June 27th that the psychiatrist who has been monitoring by clonazepam taper has retired suddenly. No notice. No transfer of care. My family physician will not follow me for the remainder of my taper. Hospital my psychiatrist worked at says they would speed up the remainder of my taper and discharge me as soon as possible. The nurse I spoke with at the hospital says that because I am on such a low dose, my family physician should be able to provide the remainder of the taper. They do not want to take me as a patient because they are busy with a waitlist of people on much higher doses than me. The psychiatrist I have had allowed me to determine the speed. I am really scared. It has taken me a lot of time to find this taper rate and have some level of function. I am asking if anyone knows of a psychiatrist in Ontario Canada who allows patients to do a slow taper. Thanks in advance for anyone's help! 

• Sad 1

This exact same thing happened to me. I was left without a provider for five months as a consequence. I had to up dose during that time and was declared medically non compliant. I sought help from my PC and was accused of doctor shopping. I finally established care with another provider, but was on my own for all that time.  If you can retain your ability to get prescriptions with your regular provider, the folks on site here will help you establish a tapering plan and finish up. I wouldn’t worry too much about the quality of a new doc as much as he/she’s willingness to give you some latitude in controlling your taper. I’m in the US, but getting on a new patient profile is just as tough. Best of luck. Getting prescribed will be your main concern. Any chance of your Dr. or the agency giving you an extended script while you search this out?  

I am doing a microtaper of clonazepam. 1.5mg is compounded by the pharmacy. I decrease my dose by 1/100th each night. I am currently at 1.164mg. I have been microtapering for 3 years. Before this it was very high doses with dry pill cutting and tapering 5% or even 1% unable to function. I have been on clonazepam for 20 years. At my current rate of taper, I would be off in early 2027. I was at this psychiatrist's private clinic. She also worked at the hospital. The clinic did not tell me. The hospital did. The medical reception person at the psychiatrist's office is not answering emails or voicemail messages. Doesn't look like she will cover my prescriptions. I have 1 refill left. I will be out in August 2024! I can't even get the office to transfer my file to my family physician. 

@[As...] I’m so sorry this has happened to you.  

Have you asked your compounding pharmacist if they are working with other doctors who prescribe benzodiazepine compounds?   If so, perhaps they would be willing to share their names with you if you explained what has happened.

Other suggestions:

(1) More members will see your request if you start a new Topic on our Benzodiazepine Withdrawal, Use & Recovery forum.  I suggest you use a meaningful subject heading — e.g. ‘Looking for Prescriber in Ontario, Canada’.

(2)  Shawn Gill is a Canadian pharmacist who worked for Outro Health (a now shuttered antidepressant deprescribing clinic in Ontario and BC).  He also consulted about deprescribing.  I don’t know if he’s still consulting but here’s a link to his website:

https://drshawngill.com/

(3) Trudy Slaught is a taper coach based in Alberta.  She may (or may not) know of prescribers in Ontario.  You may (or may not) be able to contact her via the Taper Clinic.  Here’s her ‘About’ page:

https://taperclinic.com/coaching/coach-trudy-slaght/

• Like 1