Important Survey - Please Participate ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

Where does this stress come from?

[be...]

Sometimes I can't figure out where the tremendous stress comes from. Like when I go to a shopping mall, I get so stressed that I feel like I'm on the desert without A/C. 

I don't know if it is because of my hypersensitivity to all the lights there, hyper-anxiety, over-stimulation in my head or a combination of all of them. I can't figure out what it is but I get SUPER stressed out and it really hurts. I feel that I get super stressed and it is because of BWD since I wasn't like this at all until March but I don't know where it actually comes from.

Edited by [be...]

Hello @[be...],

This is such a common, yet unpleasant part of withdrawal. Activities that we didn’t think twice about become difficult and uncomfortable. I also experienced this. I was extremely independent before I was put on benzos. That all changed drastically when I quickly reach tolerance and went through withdrawal. I had to weigh the risks and benefits of doing things. I would shop for only groceries I could put in a hand basket, do self check out and leave as quickly as possible.

The fight/flight response is very high during withdrawal. This does improve with time. I remember the first time I felt calm while shopping. I celebrated by going down every aisle. It got even better from this point on.

It takes time for the cns to return to this balanced state. It’s hard to wait, but in my opinion, it’s worth it.

• Like 3

Yea I would say the stress part is a big part of this,or has been recently for me even on a long hold

im finding even walking the dogs,.or doing something you would usually enjoy,.creates a very intense weird stress

you can plainly see it in your face like emotionally painful 

I always have to lay down,and it can take a bit of time to subside

I can leave the house to go to the supermarket okish and like a flick of a switch,it can come on on the way there

its not like a panic attack with shallow breathing,just like a more intense mind stress

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [[J...] said:

Yea I would say the stress part is a big part of this,or has been recently for me even on a long hold

im finding even walking the dogs,.or doing something you would usually enjoy,.creates a very intense weird stress

you can plainly see it in your face like emotionally painful 

I always have to lay down,and it can take a bit of time to subside

I can leave the house to go to the supermarket okish and like a flick of a switch,it can come on on the way there

its not like a panic attack with shallow breathing,just like a more intense mind stress

I can't even lay down. It is kinda like akathesis

• Like 1

3 hours ago, [[p...] said:

Hello @[be...],

This is such a common, yet unpleasant part of withdrawal. Activities that we didn’t think twice about become difficult and uncomfortable. I also experienced this. I was extremely independent before I was put on benzos. That all changed drastically when I quickly reach tolerance and went through withdrawal. I had to weigh the risks and benefits of doing things. I would shop for only groceries I could put in a hand basket, do self check out and leave as quickly as possible.

The fight/flight response is very high during withdrawal. This does improve with time. I remember the first time I felt calm while shopping. I celebrated by going down every aisle. It got even better from this point on.

It takes time for the cns to return to this balanced state. It’s hard to wait, but in my opinion, it’s worth it.

I’m glad this went away. Great to hear that from someone who’s recovered. I needed it! I’m in a situation right now to where I have to move about 10 minutes away. With my vestibular issues and intolerance to car rides, I don’t know what to do! All the what ifs flooding my mind. I’m trying to do what you mentioned…weigh the risk with the good. My new home is a WAY more suitable place to live. It’s quiet, safer and doesn’t have the triggers that keep causing me waves or stress. I just need to get there to my new home! The stress/ anticipation anxiety is making something so wonderful or me to be stressful. I guess I don’t have any choice but force myself to do it and pray I won’t undo all of my progress. It’s scary to even think that could happen. I was bedridden a longgggg time. No way I want to be back to that again. What are the odds? 
I enjoyed reading your post. Hugs 🤗 

Yeah Benz, I understand your meaning. The thing about it is that this recovery causes stress by itself! Then we have to live life which has stress. The stress causes symptoms/ waves. The waves cause more stress. It’s just a big old mess! All we can do is do the best we can each day to keep the stress at a minimum. Once something is a trigger for us, we develop anticipation anxiety centered around that. You asked where did it come from? From our injured brains. But it goes away with all the other crap this causes…with time. Thank God! I’m the same as Pianogirl in that I’ve never had any of these symptoms before Ambien. It’s unreal ! I’ve read that from many others who have healed, that they never had any of the symptoms before the pills. They healed and I hold on to that I will too! 
I guess all you can do is limit your shopping as Pianogirl said. But I wouldn’t suggest not going at all. Speaking from experience, I wish my brain was more used to being in a car. But I was forced to not go anywhere for a long time due to my severe vestibular symptoms. Now it’s like starting all over. I sometimes wonder if I should have forced myself as soon as I could walk again. 
I hope that stress goes away for you soon. 

3 hours ago, [[J...] said:

yeah I'm getting bouts of this. It's unreal sometimes. I dont know what to call it but it's crippling sometimes.

Just now, [[J...] said:

Jonwill,..it definitely is a very overwhelming strange feeling buddy

Yeah Jay, Ocassionally do you feel like your going to pass out/fall asleep because of it? I dont really know how to describe it. But then you snap awake abrubtly.

This is the cruelest thing. There just seems like there's no escape from this sometimes. All these symptoms are punishing. How do you find relief. 

1 hour ago, [[L...] said:

I’m glad this went away. Great to hear that from someone who’s recovered. I needed it! I’m in a situation right now to where I have to move about 10 minutes away. With my vestibular issues and intolerance to car rides, I don’t know what to do! All the what ifs flooding my mind. I’m trying to do what you mentioned…weigh the risk with the good. My new home is a WAY more suitable place to live. It’s quiet, safer and doesn’t have the triggers that keep causing me waves or stress. I just need to get there to my new home! The stress/ anticipation anxiety is making something so wonderful or me to be stressful. I guess I don’t have any choice but force myself to do it and pray I won’t undo all of my progress. It’s scary to even think that could happen. I was bedridden a longgggg time. No way I want to be back to that again. What are the odds? 
I enjoyed reading your post. Hugs 🤗 

I don’t want to hijack this thread from @[be...] but I want to let you know that moving is stressful for anyone, @[La...]. There is so much to organize and so much to do. Try to make it as easy on your fragile system  as possible. If there is a way to move in stages that would be ideal. If not, try to schedule breaks and time for self care.

Look towards the positive, that this new place will be much better and much healthier for you. It sounds like it will be a huge improvement.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, [[p...] said:

I don’t want to hijack this thread from @[be...] but I want to let you know that moving is stressful for anyone, @[La...]. There is so much to organize and so much to do. Try to make it as easy on your fragile system  as possible. If there is a way to move in stages that would be ideal. If not, try to schedule breaks and time for self care.

Look towards the positive, that this new place will be much better and much healthier for you. It sounds like it will be a huge improvement.

I don’t want to hijack this thread either. So I sent you a private reply. 

Jonwill yea I feel like I’m getting mini burnouts,.it sounds like I’ve lost my voice to when I’m like that

ive gave into it a few times and slept like half hr,.it messes with my nights sleep though that’s not to bad the now

ive only found relief from a long hold buddy,6 week this Thursday,.has the mirtazapene helped at all

I've only took it a few times but took it last night and it knocked me out. I think I'm gonna take it regular and work my way up the dose.