Important Survey - Please Participate ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

Recognising symptoms whilst on an AD

[jo...]

Hi. For those who are on, or have been on, an AD during withdrawl. Do you recognise the difference between symptoms and side affects? Is it easy to see past the AD and know when you've healed? I ask because I'm considering the possibility of taking an AD long term. Or at least till this is over.

It's hard to say... Not sure but think i recognized, at least some of them. I guess side effects, if an AD is suitable for you, must subside before long and they are felt the most in the very beginning. I also simply discussed my AD with those who took it too and compared symptoms to tell benzo wd from side effects. There were some things in common. And, yes, for me, it was easy to feel the healing while being on AD but some months later, my brain itself seems to have asked to be free of AD as well)

• Like 1

I was put on ad while being in wd. It was a mess in begining because i didnt know anything about wd so i was blaming everything on ad. After i learned about wd i realised that all simptoms were actually wd. Not ad side effects. Since you are in wd already And know about wd windows waves patern i think it wont be hard for you to make diference. If you experience any side effect. (I know people that didnt had any side efects) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, [[D...] said:

I was put on ad while being in wd. It was a mess in begining because i didnt know anything about wd so i was blaming everything on ad. After i learned about wd i realised that all simptoms were actually wd. Not ad side effects. Since you are in wd already And know about wd windows waves patern i think it wont be hard for you to make diference. If you experience any side effect. (I know people that didnt had any side efects) 

Hi Despinaki, was/is your windows and waves patter the same on an AD? I mean very easy to notice. If that makes sense?

1 minute ago, [[j...] said:

Hi Despinaki, was/is your windows and waves patter the same on an AD? I mean very easy to notice. If that makes sense?

Yes. Everything was same. :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, [[j...] said:

Hi Kate, why did you choose to taper the AD?

Hi, @[jo...]) Just as i said. I started to feel as if there was too much of smth foreign pushing from outside. Can't say it was bad or anything but sort of unnatural. And i never really wanted to take AD originally. As soon as i felt close to being stabilised, i began tapering.

• Like 2

It can be very difficult to distinguish the symptoms of ad symptoms/ withdrawal and benzo wd, but since you have been off benzos for awhile I think it would be easily for you the distinguish from someone who started an AD right when they got off!

You seem very upset and frightened by your decision whether or not to take an AD, I would say to go with your gut bcuz the truth is- you probably already know most of the facts by the point, & we can't predict how things will work out for you until you try.  Of course it would be ideal to not add more drugs benzo wd, but if you are at the end of your rope with things & previously had issues w depression/anxiety, it may be a good choice.  All we can do is make a good cost/benefit analysis :)

I will advice you, if you do get on something I would probably stay on it a few years at least before you were to taper off, and with mirtazapine you can not really bridge to another AD since it is in its own class of drug, unlike the regulars such as Celexa, Lexapro, Zoloft etc, so if it poops out, you would likely have to add another AD and taper off Mirt.  I hope this helps!!

Hi, @[De...]) i took my AD for about 17 months before tapering, including 6-7 months of growing it up to my full therapeutical dose. Sure i've had some issues while getting off AD (fits of extra dizziness and creeps in the head a few days after each cut, perhaps smth else) but they seem to be getting lost among benzo withdrawal symptoms and, all in all, it's felt much easier than benzo tapering. As for changes, i feel a bit less cheerful but not at all depressed. That's all so far. Those benzo induced symptoms that i still have (muscle tension&pain) are the same as a couple of months ago.

Ok, I've started mirt at 7.5 mg. I intend to move up to a therapeutic dose for depression an anxiety. I've read mixed views as to what that dose is. I'm thinking of jumping onto 15mg tonight as most say that is still a low and sedative dose. Does this sound reasonable?

Edited by [jo...]

I'd do it more slowly and i did. First time, when i grew mirt dose up rather quickly it felt highly unpleasant and i had to get off it only to start again a few months later bc for me, it turned out to be the best option to get through benzo withdrawal.

I really need to do something about this. Is 15mg a therapeutic dose for mirt? Would jumping up from 7.5mg be to much? It's getting really bad.

Edited by [jo...]

From the Mayo Clinic:

For depression:

• Adults—At first, 15 milligrams (mg) once a day, preferably in the evening just before sleep. Your doctor may adjust your dose if needed. However, the dose is usually not more than 45 mg per day.

So it looks like they often start people off at 15 mgs. If you have taken 7.5 mgs enough times you may be able to make that jump. You might experience side effects at the new dose, but they could occur because of the dose strengths and not how quickly or slowly you updosed.

If you can break the tablets up to get 3.75 portions, you can increase to 11.25 mgs for a bit if you are too nervous about 15 mgs.

P.S. Kate may take a bit to get back to you due to technical complications atm.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

So it looks like they often start people off at 15 mgs. If you have taken 7.5 mgs enough times you may be able to make that jump. You might experience side effects at the new dose, but they could occur because of the dose strengths and not how quickly or slowly you updosed.

If you can break the tablets up to get 3.75 portions, you can increase to 11.25 mgs for a bit if you are too nervous about 15 mgs.

P.S. Kate may take a bit to get back to you due to technical complications atm.

Thanks Crono!

My symptoms feel weird at the moment too. Like a high pitched anxiety if that makes sense. With T to match. Its hard to explain. I can feel it in all my muscles like a weakness and shakiness. My frame of mind is terrible. I wonder if it's the mirt. The heaviness of the depression has lifted some but there's still a depression there. 

21 hours ago, [[j...] said:

Hi Kate, in what way was it unpleasant?

Hi, Jonwil, i felt too much of foreign energy inside during a day, not at night though. Guess it was to do with adrenaline but can't be sure. I never had anything like that the second time when i grew mirt dosage slowly.

• Like 1

yeah thats what I feel at the moment. Like a high pitch energy or anxiety. I feel it in my muscles to and Have a high pitched T.

13 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

yeah thats what I feel at the moment. Like a high pitch energy or anxiety. I feel it in my muscles to and Have a high pitched T.

It seems to be similar. I just don't understand you to the full. What do you mean? English isn't my mother tongue.

Like when benzo anxiety is bad it has kind of a heavy strong feeling to it. But this is more light although still very unpleasent. You could also call it an energy I see what you mean.