Important Survey - Please Participate ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

Overwhelmed

[gu...]

Yesterday my son came over for the first time in a month. My nervous system felt completely overwhelmed just by him and my husband talking to each other. It  settled down after a while, but that really freaked me out. Do other people have experiences like that? Overwhelmed by almost nothing?

Yes @[gu...], overstimulation can overwhelm us during this process. That’s why it’s important to practice good self care and allow yourself to calm down. You took a big step forward. I think you will find that each time it gets easier and easier. 

• Like 1

Energy drain is a huge deal for me. I finally let my family talk me into traveling with them yesterday. Part of the day was spent in an airline terminal and part in a car with several others. It took several hours to reach our destination. By days end, I was too tired to eat.  I went straight to bed and slept well, but am still exhausted. It may take another day or two before I’m able to regain any strength. I’m at the low end of my taper, but still have a long way to go both physically and emotionally. Best wishes. Much hope and good will to you. 

Yesss. I run into ppl I know at the store and feel HORRIBLE and depressed after talking to them. Even though the interaction went fine.  

1 minute ago, [[l...] said:

Yesss. I run into ppl I know at the store and feel HORRIBLE and depressed after talking to them. Even though the interaction went fine.  

Welcome to BenzoBuddies @[la...]. I have tasted La Croix before, it just tastes like fizzy flavored water but people seem to love it ::)

As for having strong negative feelings towards casual conversation.. I have dealt with that. Part of it is because it feels depressing to have to put so much effort into something that should be effortless. Another reason it is depressing is because we may feel envy over the 'normalcy' of other people.

Also it can be difficult to put up a fake front all the time, and so pretending to be normal during a casual conversation is almost like holding your breath, very uncomfortable the longer it goes on and you feel like you may reach a breaking point in keeping up the charade.

For me it’s not a charade. For me now, interacting with others immediately overwhelms my nervous system, and I feel like I’m collapsing inside…Crono did you have that??

37 minutes ago, [[g...] said:

For me it’s not a charade. For me now, interacting with others immediately overwhelms my nervous system, and I feel like I’m collapsing inside…Crono did you have that??

I didn't mean that feeling awful and overwhelming was a charade. I was referring to trying to appear normal as the charade.

And yes gutsy, I did experience a similar feeling of being overwhelmed by negative emotions when having to converse with people at many points during my recovery. It is a terrifying feeling but in the overall picture it is still just a harmless sensation that feels more devastating than what it actually is.