Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Atarax or Zoloft addiction

[di...]

Good afternoon, dear forum participants!

My progress: 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FeyWn2cUXt8UGRp0th2-hMbfjJBzb2PU6Xyg2HcKy_4/edit?usp=sharing

I need your help.

I am 24 years old, I live in St. Petersburg, Russia. I am currently addicted to Atarax.

Anamnesis:

2019 - fluoxetine 1 year + Atarax 1 month (25 mg/day).

2020-2022 - periodic use of Atarax (every 3 months, 1/2 tablet).

May 2023 - January 2024 - once a month/once a week, take 1/2 Atarax.

February 2024 - Zoloft 1.5 months + Atarax 1.5 months.

25 - cancellation of Zoloft and Atarax

April 7 - withdrawal syndrome (Zoloft + Atarax?).

April-May - periodic intake of Atarax 1/2 (every three days somewhere, with a break of 20 days)

May - 5 days fluoxetine + phenazepam (I didn’t like it, so I removed it).

June 4 - cancellation of Atarax, the first 2 days were good, then severe depression and derealization for 5 days, and suddenly a window of 5 days appeared. Then the symptoms began to grow and reached their peak on June 30.

On July 1 - June 29, I resumed Atarax, I am recovering, and I am planning a slow taper.

Symptoms of withdrawal syndrome:

- Paresthesia

- Insomnia

- Loss of appetite

- Sweat

- Severe depression

- Strong derealization

- Anxiety

Today I feel better, but I need to fight. Yesterday the choice was either a pill or a psychiatric hospital.

My questions:

1. Does anyone have experience with Atarax narrowing?

2. I haven't been on Atarax that long and I'm afraid of making the addiction even worse, how quickly can I taper off?

3. Yesterday, in order to relieve acute symptoms, I took a dosage of 50 mg. Can I lower it to the usual 1/2 of 25 mg when tapering begins?

I hope my country will not affect your opinion of me and help 🙏 I am very worried about everything that is happening in the world. All the best!

Edited by [di...]

Hi, @[di...] and wellcome to BenzoBuddies!) We're very glad you've found us.

First of all, it was really wise of you to stop phenazepam that quickly. In my opinion, benzodiazepines should be avoided as much as possible and it's way more difficult to get off them than off atarax or lots of other medications.

I'm so sorry for the rough time you're living through but i'm not sure it's because of atarax only. Your use of it seems to have been rather sporadic and not too long. I'd consider zoloft as well. I took both atarax and zoloft for a month 3 years ago while still on benzo. It was a sad experience but for me, the main cause was zoloft. It took me a few months to get over.  I also took atarax 50-75 mg every night for 4 months at the end of my benzo reduction and further, then just stopped a year ago. No atarax withdrawal but we're all different. If i were you, i'd reduce atarax by and by, just in case, but wouldn't do it long.

I hope other members will join in and share their opinion. Good luck to you!)

hi! @[...]

My doctor said that you can drink for 3 weeks without dependence, but I felt there was a catch.

It also seemed to me that Zoloft was the culprit, because... I took Atarax for a long time and everything was fine. In April, I most likely had withdrawal symptoms from two drugs, but now I noticed that Atarax relieves all symptoms, so I’m sinning that it’s him. My doctor said it's possible In any case, the symptoms with it are more tolerable, and I hope that I will recover with time

• Like 1

@[di...], sure i can be mistaken but i believe most, if not any, of the symptoms are caused by zoloft. It's just so similar to what i had. I took zoloft + atarax in February, 2021 and started feeling improvements in September, 2021 only, but i was also on benzo all that time. As for atarax, it's understandable it helps you now. Atarax helped me during benzo withdrawal too but sure wasn't the reason for the withdrawal suffering. Anyway, just reduce atarax gradually for a while and stop. I absolutely agree with your doctor whatever the reason, atarax or zoloft, the symptoms must subside over time. Hope it'll be pretty soon for you:balloon:!

• Like 1

@[...]

You have been through so much, both Zoloft and benzo withdrawal... you are truly a strong person.

I would like to attach a chart; I have written down every day how I feel. Now I’ll figure out how to do this. Yesterday there was the strongest wave, I didn’t have such waves even in April, and in April I didn’t have such a strong depression, as if another symptom had been added, and yesterday morning there was severe confusion, as if in delirium all day. Also at the beginning of June there were paresthesias, but now they are gone.

36 minutes ago, [[d...] said:

@[...]

You have been through so much, both Zoloft and benzo withdrawal... you are truly a strong person.

I would like to attach a chart; I have written down every day how I feel. Now I’ll figure out how to do this. Yesterday there was the strongest wave, I didn’t have such waves even in April, and in April I didn’t have such a strong depression, as if another symptom had been added, and yesterday morning there was severe confusion, as if in delirium all day. Also at the beginning of June there were paresthesias, but now they are gone.

@[di...], thank you:classic_smile:

I think i can understand you concerning waves and upticks of withdrawal symptoms, of new symptoms as well. For me, everything was absolutely the same then but it's long ago over. At least, you know it's expectable, not your fault and doesn't mean you're really ill. Oh, and that everything must improve in the end! Healing to you!)

Hi and welcome to benzobuddies :balloon:

I never tried atarax but think i took zoloft a while years ago. 

I been to your beautiful city!!

@[...]

Thank you very much 😊 and to you!)

When I was on the website about tapering off antidepressants, they said not to take anything extra, but since I was on Atarax, can I take it on those days when I feel especially bad? If it turns out that this is not Atarax withdrawal syndrome. Will this prolong my withdrawal symptoms?

Edited by [di...]

19 minutes ago, [[d...] said:

Hi, @[PE...]!) It's so nice :) Where are you from?

What can you say about your experience with Zoloft?

Thank you 🙏

I'm from sweden!

It gave me brain zaps when i stopped. Don't remember much else i had problem with. 

I didn't do and benzo back then..

2 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

I'm from sweden!

It gave me brain zaps when i stopped. Don't remember much else i had problem with. 

I didn't do and benzo back then..

I have been to Europe many times and I should have gone to stockholm when i was able to travel to europe. Now I regret because I dont know if I will ever be able to fly again. Benzo destroyed my whole life.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, [[b...] said:

I have been to Europe many times and I should have gone to stockholm when i was able to travel to europe. Now I regret because I dont know if I will ever be able to fly again. Benzo destroyed my whole life.

I think it just feels that way. Stockholm is nice in the summer!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, [[d...] said:

@[...]

Thank you very much 😊 and to you!)

When I was on the website about tapering off antidepressants, they said not to take anything extra, but since I was on Atarax, can I take it on those days when I feel especially bad? If it turns out that this is not Atarax withdrawal syndrome. Will this prolong my withdrawal symptoms?

I'm in no way an expert, but, by my own sad experience, i think it's ok to take atarax on extremely bad days, sure if it helps. Just don't use it often. I took atarax sporadically for 2 years, then daily for about 4 months and stopped it abruptly. For me It was absolutely ok despite the acute phase of benzo withdrawal. And i don't think atarax prolonged my benzo withdrawal in any way. As for zoloft, i had a really tough time due to 1 month of its use, it was just awful, lots of physical and mental symptoms for a few months afterwards. Sure it's just my experience. But something tells me it's also due to zoloft for you. Don't be scared of all the symptoms, they' should pass!) 

Thank you very much for sharing! @[ПЕ...]

Now (I don’t know if Atarax helped with this) I’m moving away a little from the painful wave, I have a little time to rest and check whether Atarax is the source of trouble. The symptoms are not 100% gone now, but I feel much better than the last 5 days.

• Love 1

Thanks for your experience! @[...]

May I ask how things are going for you now? I've seen a few posts, but unfortunately I don't know the site that well yet.

30 minutes ago, [[d...] said:

Thanks for your experience! @[...]

May I ask how things are going for you now? I've seen a few posts, but unfortunately I don't know the site that well yet.

Now everything is much much better than three or half a year ago. I'm more than a year off benzo, still a bit symptomatic but really ok::)

Explore BenzoBuddies forums) There are plenty of useful and interesting things here, not necessary about benzodiazepines (phenazepam etc) Lots of luck to you, Didiyana!

• Like 1

@[di...], hi:classic_smile:

i think why not but will try to clarify a bit later.

I had a look. Really informative. I'd also mark the days you stopped zoloft, and days you were taking atarax.

• Like 1