Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Restlessness is driving me mad

[Dr...]

Hi all, 

Currently I'm going through a phase of huge (inner) restlessness. Can't seem to find any peace. My legs are restless as well and when trying to sleep I move from left to right in my bed and back. Nothing helps. Tried EFT, meditations, shakti mat, singing, dancing, walking around. 

I may got some minutes of relief but then my legs get all hot and tingly again and I'm back to being restless. Have only slept 3 hours in the past 2 weeks. Can't seem to relax at all. 

What to do? 

• Sad 1

It's totally normal but annoying to say the least. Look out for not being able to be still at all! =akathisia. It's up a notch from the internal restlessness you describe. 

There is also such a thing as RLS Restless Legs Syndrome. My mom got this and take a medicine for it. 

• Like 1

Don't want to be taking any medication for this... Hoping that this is a phase and it will go away. Or otherwise advise on all non medical ways to cope with this, are welcome

54 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

It's totally normal but annoying to say the least. Look out for not being able to be still at all! =akathisia. It's up a notch from the internal restlessness you describe. 

There is also such a thing as RLS Restless Legs Syndrome. My mom got this and take a medicine for it. 

To be honest, I'm not sure whether what I call restlessness isn't akathisia. I do find it very difficult to sit or lie still at times. That's why I move from left to right, adjust my pillows, change from duvet to sheet and back (stress makes me overheated), get up to get some water, go to the bathroom, more water, get something to eat, etc. Dance in the middle of the night, then try to lie still again and focus on my breathing. 

It's really driving me mad. 

56 minutes ago, [[D...] said:

Don't want to be taking any medication for this... Hoping that this is a phase and it will go away. Or otherwise advise on all non medical ways to cope with this, are welcome

That's a wise choice. I would hold with cuts until it's a bit better, or at least not getting worse. 

I could only sit for a few seconds at the time at my worst. I only had it for around 3 months. I know some have it for years. 

Color. Put that energy on paper. That’s what saved me at night when I couldn’t sleep. I’ve got some beautiful work to show for it. You will too. Hang on, you’ll get through this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [[P...] said:

That's a wise choice. I would hold with cuts until it's a bit better, or at least not getting worse. 

I could only sit for a few seconds at the time at my worst. I only had it for around 3 months. I know some have it for years. 

Months or even years are unthinkable... I've updosed and reinstated my afternoon dose about 2 weeks ago and am holding. But am afraid I've hit tolerance and things will only get worse from here on. I had a couple of better days but now it feels like it's going downhill again

1 minute ago, [[D...] said:

Months or even years are unthinkable... I've updosed and reinstated my afternoon dose about 2 weeks ago and am holding. But am afraid I've hit tolerance and things will only get worse from here on. I had a couple of better days but now it feels like it's going downhill again

For most it seems like this is the way wd behaves. Up and down..

Having a restless body is a common symptom. The brain is use to have the benzo blanket calming it down at all times.

Is it possible for you to exercise?

You’ll get through it. The body has an innate sense of survival. You’ve just got to tap into your beacon of light, whatever that is for you. 

22 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

For most it seems like this is the way wd behaves. Up and down..

Having a restless body is a common symptom. The brain is use to have the benzo blanket calming it down at all times.

Is it possible for you to exercise?

Some days I'm okay with walking for more than an hour. Other days I'm finding it difficult to walk

22 minutes ago, [[T...] said:

You’ll get through it. The body has an innate sense of survival. You’ve just got to tap into your beacon of light, whatever that is for you. 

Can't find that light, I'm afraid... Spent this morning making an address list so my partner knows who to inform when I choose to leave this hell behind. 

Can't find a way to cope with all of this

4 minutes ago, [[D...] said:

Some days I'm okay with walking for more than an hour. Other days I'm finding it difficult to walk

That's good.. I tend to get relaxed when running or walking. 

4 minutes ago, [[D...] said:

Can't find that light, I'm afraid... Spent this morning making an address list so my partner knows who to inform when I choose to leave this hell behind. 

Can't find a way to cope with all of this

This is not good. This is can be a very intense experience. But still just one of every other experience in life. You will get out of this stronger than ever before. 

• Like 1

Some inspiration:

The Hero’s Journey - Joseph Campbell

Man’s Search for Meaning - Viktor Frankl

The Walk Series - Richard Paul Evans 

YouTube videos of people recovering and thriving after TBI’s 

Success stories here on BB 

Me 😊 still here after a hellacious cold turkey 

If you can’t read, try audio. And another suggestion: listen to music from happy times to remind you of what you’ve got to live for and the good times that will return. Hot baths/cold showers. 

For distraction, brain work and connection: puzzles, luminosity type games, coloring, paint by number, dodo animal videos, watching sunset/sunrise, get out in nature, star gazing, look at old pictures, watch family videos, journal. 

I’m so sorry you are suffering so much. Hold tight and know you aren’t alone. It will get easier eventually, I promise. 

Edited by [Ti...]
  • Like 2