Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Xanax withdrawal ups and downs

[X-...]

Hello. New here so I am not sure if I am doing this right:

Been on Xanax for 16 months for insomnia. Started with 2 mg per night. I take 1 at bed time or shortly thereafter. And 1 at 3 am when I wake up (every night). I didn’t take it on the weekends cause I stayed up so late that I didn’t see the use in taking it when I was gonna be up in 3 hours anyway. 
Dr. Got me a CPAP machine about 6 months ago. I started sleeping a little better and began skipping my 3 am dose about 2-3 times per week. 4 months ago I just stopped the second dose altogether. I started splitting the 1 mg into halves and doing the same routine with .5 and .5. 
I told my doctor and he said that was fine and renewed my script to 1 mg per night. But since the I have ups and downs with my heart rate and blood pressure. I will be resting heart at 90-95 and BP of 140/85 for a week and then a week where everything is normal. 
a month ago I tapered down to .75 per night. .25 at beginning and .5 at 3 am. 
I had about 2 weeks of high heart and BP. Then all went to normal again. So last week I tapered down to .5 per night. I am getting high heart and BP for about 2-3 days on and 2 normal. 
does this sound like I am tapering too quickly?

I love my doctor but I don’t think he is up to date on benzo withdrawal. 
I feel fine other than the cardio issues. I exercise and meditate everyday and consider myself fit. I have no anxiety or depression. 
sorry for the long post. Any input is appreciated. 

• Like 2

Hello @[X-...], welcome to BenzoBuddies.

Generally at this site we recommend the Ashton method of tapering which is a cut of 10% of your current dose every 10 to 14 days. However, there are some people that need to move much slower than that as well as other people that are suitable for faster tapers.

It definitely sounds like your body has become dependent on Xanax, but since you were able to go from 2mg down to 1mg with minor trouble you may be able to handle a faster taper.

There seems to be a pattern after your cuts where you have a period of higher bp/bpm followed by a return to normal. It is typical for people that taper to feel the effects of their cuts until their body adjusts. Since Xanax has a short half-life, you will feel those effects almost the same day or next.

If these symptoms are too much for you to tolerate you can certainly slow down your taper. Many members would be glad to help you figure out a taper plan suitable to your needs.

If you would like a better understanding of benzo dependence and tapering it may help to check out the Ashton Manual if you haven't done so already.

Just now, [[C...] said:

Your welcome. So can you share what your current plan is? It seems you have been holding at least 3 weeks. You cuts are large, but your holds seem to compensate a little.

I am going to stick with .5 for a while. I see my doctor the second week of July. I will probably get a .5 script at that time. I think I want to stick on that dose until my heart issues are fully stable (say, 1 full month of stable heart and BP)  I just want to make sure this doesn’t become a normal thing forever once off for good.

not sure how to cut 10% off .5 from there tho  

That sounds perfectly reasonable. You may be able to taper off the .5mg pills by doing .125 cuts (1/4). Then when you get to .25 you can switch to the .25mg tablets which can easily be quartered into .0625 doses for even smaller cuts. 

Even at .5 xanax a day you could still switch to the .25 mg tablets, that way you could also taper slower more easily if the need arises.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

That sounds perfectly reasonable. You may be able to taper off the .5mg pills by doing .125 cuts (1/4). Then when you get to .25 you can switch to the .25mg tablets which can easily be quartered into .0625 doses for even smaller cuts. 

Even at .5 xanax a day you could still switch to the .25 mg tablets, that way you could also taper slower more easily if the need arises.

Thank you for the advice. Exactly what I came here for. 
I should’ve also mentioned that I quit marijuana recently as well (daily heavy user for 25 yrs) But after the cardio issues began. 
not sure how that effects benzo withdrawal. 

2 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

Hello @[X-...] and a warm welcome to BB. This is the website that has given me so much knowledge and solidarity, I think you will feel the same way.

I find so many similarities in your original post - ironically I now work for a company that administers CPAPs. 

Crono is really great at giving taper advice so I will simply say I support you, and I respect your courage.

Exercise and meditation during the taper stage will benefit in the long run (particularly during the sober stage) - it sounds like you are ahead and in control.

MJ was the hardest drug for me to quit. I was a heavy smoker (started when I was 14) until I found Xanax. 

Xanax allowed me to quit MJ but lead me to be dependent on it for 3 years.

I'm glad you stopped once the cardio issues kicked in, as I recall hacking and coughing my lungs when I was a daily smoker.

You may experience some withdrawals from MJ, that being said, it should not be anything detrimental. It will be hard to differentiate between some taper symptoms and the MJ, but MJ withdrawals, usually, are not anything that prolonged.

Irritability, sometimes decreased appetite and trouble sleeping / lack of interest in somethings - can be similar to a  taper or withdrawal symptoms from benzo's, subject to person to person.

Ultimately when I was free of both, I felt:

• nature was more colorful
  • my memories returned
  • I started reading books again
  • more time on my hands
  • stable respiratory 
  • no more munchies, leading me to a healthy and controlled diet

Sincerely,

Your friend that is 30 days free of both.

Yes. I am not psychologically addicted to weed. I actually hate the stuff and for the last year or so I was so high all the time that each hit did nothing to me anymore. I was just permanently dazed. I felt like such a loser. I am 55 and I was smoking like a college dropout kid. 
But the physical addiction, that’s another story. Very irritable. No sleep. Nothing brings me joy. Work felt stupid and useless. No motivation to leave the house. 
Thankfully all that is beginning to wane. 
You can definitely become addicted to weed. I don’t care what your cool college professor said. 

• Like 1