Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Switching to Valium from .125mg of klonopin

[la...]

I’m on .125mg of klonopin, last time I tried to jump, I had insane brain pressure and burning that I had to get back on it. My question is has anyone switched to Valium from .125mg and any success from that? I know in the Ashton Manual, it’s usually switching from higher doses. I tried to use a scale to go down small bits but wasn’t getting accurate results each time. I don’t know what’s the best way to get off this last bit

the psychiatrist I saw today said Valium was an option for me but when we do the cross over , I’d actually be going up for 2 days from the dose I’m at now which scares me. I asked why I would have to do that and he said something about the chemistry of it. Idk if he knows what he’s talking about. Ahhh 

maybe I need a better quality scale . 
my two options , switching to Valium from here or shaving off a bit of .125mg but as anyone knows taking klonopin - the pill is now broken into 4ths and hard to reduce anymore 

Edited by [la...]

@[la...],

I broke the .5 mg pills into eighths with my fingernails.  Not real accurate and I don't recommend it (I hadn't found this site yet).  If it were now, I'd get a better scale.  I know there are several threads with reference to some good ones from Amazon.

I hate to see you cross over to Valium at this stage of your taper but I'm glad your doctor is listening to you.  I wonder if you might consider tapering this last little bit using liquid. 

7 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

I hate to see you cross over to Valium at this stage of your taper but I'm glad your doctor is listening to you.  I wonder if you might consider tapering this last little bit using liquid. 

Hello Pam, what is your concern with crossing over ? I don’t know too much 

Typically members will only cross over to Valium if they've been experiencing interdose withdrawal because the side effects can be unpleasant.  Valium is known to cause sedation and depression, some will acclimate to the medication, others end up going back to their original medication. Crossing takes time, members will add it in slowly while withdrawing their current benzo to allow time for Valiums long half life to take effect.  And then as you mentioned, getting the equivalency right is a challenge, there are reference tables but the range is quite large and dependent on many factors that only through experimentation will you know what is right for you.

Because your dose is so low, I'm not sure if any of the above will apply to you, but bottom line is, its not a sure thing as far as comfort for the last of your taper. 

53 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

I thought you said liquid confused the body? That’s why I’ve been cutting into 1/8ths now I’m confused 

1 hour ago, [[P...] said:

Typically members will only cross over to Valium if they've been experiencing interdose withdrawal because the side effects can be unpleasant.  Valium is known to cause sedation and depression, some will acclimate to the medication, others end up going back to their original medication. Crossing takes time, members will add it in slowly while withdrawing their current benzo to allow time for Valiums long half life to take effect.  And then as you mentioned, getting the equivalency right is a challenge, there are reference tables but the range is quite large and dependent on many factors that only through experimentation will you know what is right for you.

Because your dose is so low, I'm not sure if any of the above will apply to you, but bottom line is, its not a sure thing as far as comfort for the last of your taper. 

Okay thank you for the information. 

1 hour ago, [[P...] said:

I take my dose at night so sedation doesn’t sound so bad. This might not work but I’ll try it 

1 hour ago, [[S...] said:

I thought you said liquid confused the body? That’s why I’ve been cutting into 1/8ths now I’m confused 

What are you using to cut to 1/8ths? Just a common pill cutter? 

10 hours ago, [[l...] said:

I take my dose at night so sedation doesn’t sound so bad. This might not work but I’ll try it 

I'll be interested to hear what your doctor has in mind for the crossover equivalency, I hope you'll share. 

11 hours ago, [[S...] said:

I don't recall mentioning liquid confusing the body, I'm not sure what that means.  My hope for you using the dry cut method was an effort to rapid taper since you haven't been on the medication very long.  A long drawn out liquid taper would defeat that purpose but if you'd feel more comfortable using the liquid method, we can discuss it on your thread. 

@[Pa...] this is what you said 

“medication is causing you the most difficulty.  

I don't recommend crossing to a liquid at the moment, any change you make in medication form will have an impact on how you feel.  If you went to a liquid now, you'd need to allow time for your body to adjust before making any reductions, yes, your central nervous system is this sensitive!”

1 minute ago, [[S...] said:

@[Pa...] this is what you said 

“medication is causing you the most difficulty.  

I don't recommend crossing to a liquid at the moment, any change you make in medication form will have an impact on how you feel.  If you went to a liquid now, you'd need to allow time for your body to adjust before making any reductions, yes, your central nervous system is this sensitive!”

Thanks, I stand by my suggestion that a liquid taper isn't in your best interest because of the time it would take for your body to acclimate to the new method.  But as I mentioned, if this is something you'd like to try, we can certainly take a look at it.  But, I feel it would be best to see how your dry cutting is going to go. 

Im so sorry @[Pa...] So to confirm bc you said liquid confuses the body then you said it didn’t and didn’t understand what I meant 

going from dry to liquid would be more precise but potentially drag out process and dry taper is okay for me? 
i cut 1/8th off last night. 

20 minutes ago, [[S...] said:

Im so sorry @[Pa...] So to confirm bc you said liquid confuses the body then you said it didn’t and didn’t understand what I meant 

going from dry to liquid would be more precise but potentially drag out process and dry taper is okay for me? 
i cut 1/8th off last night. 

I didn't say liquid confuses the body, I'm not sure where you got that idea?  Regardless, @[la...] situation is very different from yours, so my suggestion to them was based on their situation.  I believe the method you're currently trying is the best for your situation, but we can certainly discuss other methods on your thread so we don't hijack this one.