Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Help please buddies. Having an op

[Sh...]

[Sh...]

Hi team, really need ur help. I’ve broken my wrist really badly and tomorrow morning I am going in for surgery. I am terrified or what they are going to give me. I am 3 years out. Please tell me of ur experiences with surgery and what you took that isn’t benzo? I remember reading where people had to have surgery and used different stuff that doesn’t work on benzo receptors x Thanku so much in advance. My op is in 9 hours xxx

• Like 1

[Ct...]

@[Sh...] I don’t have experience with having an operation, but my heart goes out to you having one more obstacle in your path. Hope someone stops by with experience to share with you. Ctlady

• Like 1

[Pa...]

Hi @[Sh...], I had two surgeries while recovering from my cold turkey and didn't ask for anything different from the anesthesiologist, and did just fine.  I didn't notice any increase in symptoms that I felt were due to the medication.  The fear of the surgery and the stress it put on my body I'm sure was certainly a factor but I don't believe I suffered because of the medication.

I'm sorry to hear you broke your wrist, I hope your surgery and recovery goes well.  Try not to let your fear run away with you, you know how our emotions can bring on the worst.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

[ba...]

So sorry! I would let your surgery team know you have an aversion to benzos, and, having tapered off of them, that you would like other options. My concern is that they would not work. I was looking at having a procedure some time ago, and was told that being on benzos would make the traditional anesthesia not very functional, and that other options would be used. Forget what they were. I ended finding a non surgical option. I think they can give you some options. In this case, i would let the doctor be the doctor. Additionallly, every medication has side effects, even if one is not benzo injured. Any side effects should be disclosed to you of whatever medication is used.

You got this! And of course, it's triggering and stressful. 

This is from the guidlines in this forum:

(10) I have to have a medical procedure during which my doctor says I will be sedated. Does this mean I have to go through withdrawal again?

You should not worry that a single dose of a benzodiazepine will cause the reemergence of withdrawal symptoms. Withdrawal is the result of changes in brain receptors which happen over time and with regular use. These changes in receptors will not occur with only a single dose of a benzodiazepine.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[La...]

Omg shay! I’m so very sorry that this has happened to you. I read that propofol is the best option. I’m praying all will go well with your surgery. I agree with Pam for you too not stress too much over it. Discuss with the anesthesiologist that you are recovering from benzos. Sending big hugs! 

Edited by [La...]
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

[or...]

@[Sh...] I had Versed for a couple of surgeries -- one on my taper and one after -- and I had no ill effects. I think you'll be fine with Propofol or Versed. I'm so sorry this happened to you.:hug:Best,

Katz

• Like 3

[tr...]

I've been anesthetized  since my jump ( 2 years post jump) and only had a mild " reaction" afterwards. You will do well Shayna. Hugs girl.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

[wa...]

Broke my humerus last year. I told the nurse prepping me for surgery I had severe benzo withdrawal and specifically asked them not to give me benzodiazepines. I literally repeated that to everyone I could. I also wrote benzodiazepine allergy on every form that allowed it. I had read they gave Versed, but I know they didn't give it to me, that's for sure. That being said, the only really concerning medication other than that was Lyrica / Gabapentin. The nurse was nice enough to tell me every med they were giving me, as they were giving it to me, and when that one came up I said no. She had no problem not giving it to me. Anyway, next time I should have probably added Lyrica / Gabapentin to the allergy areas but at the time I didn't know that's what they gave, so I'm grateful the nurse was so transparent with me and I caught it. My symptoms after surgery did ramp up because of the pain and being unable to sleep lying down but it didn't reset my healing process. Also, I'm certain the fear of having a reaction probably ramped up my symptoms too.  Finally, I also had to take oxycodone for a bit because of the pain. I went off that as quickly as I could (which was like 30 days of use) with no issues. Best of luck!

Edited by [wa...]
  • Like 2

[He...]

I don’t have experience with surgery but I want to wish you luck. I’m so sorry that you have another difficult situation. I am sure that everything will be ok. 

• Love 1

[Ga...]

Oh, Shayna, so sorry to hear about your upcoming surgery, but as the British are known to say, “not to worry”.   I have had a few procedures/surgeries and have always requested no benzos, just propranolol, which I did fine with!  My medical charts clearly say no benzos or steroids, and I have never gotten any pushback from any of the medical staff.

Actually I have to make an appointment today to have my very large umbilical hernia repaired and when I met with the surgeon last week he reiterated that he would not give me any benzos.  He saved my life in 2019 and knows my whole history with Valium.

Sending big healing hugs……..you will do fine and be all the better for it❤️❤️❤️❤️🙏🙏🙏🙏

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

[Sh...]

Thanku everyone I truly don’t know what I’d do without ur help x I am scared but unfortunately the way I fell caused a deformity so I have no choice. I was roller skating and a ball rolled in front of me and my son who was a total beginner and I put my foot out to protect him. I would do it again tomorrow, but now my future career is also in tatters. I think my heart is a little bit more broken today. But I am a trooper, like all of you and I know I’ll get thru it. 
I truly appreciate your help here. I told them yesterday about the Benzos, they were very kind to me. The level of pain that I was in was like a 15/10 but I refused pain relief until they local they had to give me to set my arm. I can’t believe I did the damage I did from something that was spose to be fun. 

• Like 1

[An...]
5 hours ago, [[P...] said:

Hi @[Sh...], I had two surgeries while recovering from my cold turkey and didn't ask for anything different from the anesthesiologist, and did just fine.  I didn't notice any increase in symptoms that I felt were due to the medication.  The fear of the surgery and the stress it put on my body I'm sure was certainly a factor but I don't believe I suffered because of the medication.

I'm sorry to hear you broke your wrist, I hope your surgery and recovery goes well.  Try not to let your fear run away with you, you know how our emotions can bring on the worst.

I agree. There is really no need to ask for anything special after 3 years off. The fear of one-off benzo administrations putting you back in acute w/d is more of a psychological fear that many ex benzo users have. You do not become re-addicted and experience acute w/d from a one-off use after many years of being benzo free.

I hope your surgery goes well. 🙏🏻

• Love 2

[Sh...]

Thanku mate. X I am honestly a bit more worried about my heart at this stage. I finally went into normal Rythum finally yesterday. Anyway I have to get ready x see u on the other side team 🇦🇺💪🏾

• Like 1

[Sh...]

Or until I am waiting for my op x I’m sure I just have to be there early for prep

• Like 1

[La...]

Please keep us all posted. 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏💕💕💕 

• Love 1

Express your concerns with the physician anesthesiologist. You could have the surgery done under regional block without any IV sedation.  There are also many alternatives other than gaba agonists when it comes to sedation or general anesthesia.  Even if you did have versed or propofol it would probably not affect you in any way long term.

• Love 1

[Sh...]

I’m ok guys. So far. I told them about what I’ve been thru and while I think benzo was included in propofol mix so far I’m ok. In a lot of pain and was sent home with opioids but I’ll see how I go with just over the counter ones for now. Thanks everyone for ur help ❤️ So so tired and the pain is like 😖

• Like 3

[La...]
4 hours ago, [[S...] said:

I’m ok guys. So far. I told them about what I’ve been thru and while I think benzo was included in propofol mix so far I’m ok. In a lot of pain and was sent home with opioids but I’ll see how I go with just over the counter ones for now. Thanks everyone for ur help ❤️ So so tired and the pain is like 😖

Yay I’m glad everything went well. Over the counter is ideal if you can. You did very well sweetheart! Rest and heal. Sending love ❤️ 

• Love 1

[Ga...]

Happy all went well, Shayna!   Rest, restore and recover…..that is all you need to do right now!

Hugs,

Your book lover friend❤️❤️❤️😀😀😀😀

• Love 1

[Sh...]

Again I was to say Thanku so much to my wonderful community of fellow battlers here ❤️ You don’t know how much I appreciate every single comment, it really helped.

I have to say that the silver lining in this a bit of restored faith in drs and medicine. They were truly wonderful and I appreciated being listened to and my concerns acknowledged by a couple of them. There were still some that looked at me like I was a little nuts but we are used to that aren’t we x 

best part was all the interesting and lovely people I met in the waiting rooms, including one awesome lady in her 60s who did the same injury as me “doing a bush wee” 😂

translation- she fell over doing number 1s in the woods 😂

classic 🇦🇺

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

[Sh...]

Oh I slept like a log last night. So far no issues, only over counter meds so far. Haven’t taken any pain relief so far today. Had a shower which was interesting with 1 arm. Now I’m staring at a basket of laundry that I have to get on the line one handed. I’ve got this 🤦‍♀️

• Like 4
  • Love 2