Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Aching legs

[Ca...]

[Ca...]

Has anyone experienced achy legs during withdrawal? They just came on again today and are very painful. I am spending way too much time in bed and maybe that is causing it but I am walking a mile and a half around four pm and we had a heat advisory but I was well hydrated. Any input would be appreciated!

[Cr...]

Is it both legs? And is it a sharp localized pain or more wide-ranging muscle pain?

[Ca...]

It is both legs and it is wide ranging achiness. I wonder if it is circulatory as I have been in bed fifteen hours a day although I do walk at least a mile and a half every day outside.

[Cr...]

Unless you have changed up your exercise routine lately, it sounds like it could be wd symptoms. You are at least walking every day. Even the 15 hours in bed is probably interrupted by restroom and food.

Has it improved, gotten worse, or stayed the same since it first appeared?

[Ca...]

Worse. I am walking every day except I did not walk during the heat advisory for four days last week. Yes the 15 hours is broken up by a good 60-90 minutes for brunch plus other bathroom breaks. I also seem to have intense benzo belly. Do we know what causes that? In my moments of terror I think it's ascites.

I was walking three miles daily until my labral hip tear and although that has improved, I don't walk over two miles especially in the heat and sun.

Thank you so much for checking in with me!

[An...]

I am having a little pain in my legs also. I also have some hip pain. I, too, don't know what to make of it.

You said "They just came on again today"

Has this been happening on and off for a while @[Ca...]?

I attribute some of mine to arthritis and getting older. Ugh---I hate aging. My 80 y/o mother is almost crippled by arthritis. Most of her joints now have little to no cartilage so she has general pain and achiness all over her entire body. Things are esp. bad in her lower extremities. 

[Ca...]

you're young if your Mom is only 80. I feel for her. My legs ache on and off. It could be from my lower back because I have bone on bone at S5L1. Tapering valium makes it all worse because that relaxes our muscles. I wish I had ben doing yoga for years instead of taking benzos.

• Like 1

[Ad...]

Hi @[Ca...]... I just did a search for aching legs and found your post. I've had the same problem for several days now and I don't know what to do about it. I went to the grocery store but thought I was too weak and not going to  be able to make it even though I had a cart to hold on to. I did just do a small cut in the Klonopin so I was thinking maybe that is what's causing it. I'm going to stay with this dose until my legs stop hurting, or at least I hope they do. I don't care if it takes months to stabilize. I'm just going to stay with it. I'm too weak to walk, but I swim almost everyday.

How are you doing?

[Ct...]
Posted (edited)

@[Ad...] So sorry to read about your aching legs. @[or...] is well versed in alternative remedies. Also @[...] has had muscle aches during her withdrawal. Possibly they can provide some information.

Edited by [Ct...]
Added space
  • Like 1

[or...]
Posted (edited)

I hope I can offer something here, but there's so many things the aching can be.  I get the aching, but it comes and goes pretty fast, it doesn't last for days, or even hours.  I always check my diet, and especially electrolytes in the heat.  We're having 113 degrees for the 4th here in Southern Oregon.  I won't go out in it at all, only early morning grocery runs, and very late evening I'll go outside to either walk a little.  Mostly I do my stretching, and Resistance Bands indoors.

I think it's most important to first look at exactly what you are eating, and are you getting enough magnesium, potassium and salt.  Anything to do with leg muscle pain, cramps, aching, I focus mainly on magnesium glycinate.  I know it has an effect on our CNS, I've read that, but I can't go without it when having leg cramps so bad, I limp for the next couple of days.  Eating a low inflammatory diet, I work that in for sure, and I do ketogenics, going on 4 years.  Vegetarians can do it as well, but it's a lot tougher for them getting all their nutrition.  I'm super low carb, and probably it's saved me from really bad wd sxs, plus a slow taper.

We are all so different though and what works for me I could never promise would work for anyone else.  I would go very easy on getting out in the heat.  There's easy stretches, I even do them in bed if my legs ache. All this I do believe will pass.  I'm 71 and I won't ignore the reality of atrophy, use it or lose it kind of thing with many of my senior friends who just stop moving.  I don't recommend "over-use" either like if did with chasing a puppy around, then pulling up roots and moving to another town.  I'm still in recovery over that one :mybuddy:oregonlady, sending out hope, love and encouragement to all of you suffering, and @[Ad...] I can't be prouder of you to keep up on your swimming!  We have a pool here in town but I haven't gotten brave enough ;)  Geesh, I wrote a book, please forgive, Denise

:oops:one more thing, I've learned to massage my aches and pains, surprisingly I am helped by this often.

Edited by [or...]
  • Like 2

[Ad...]

Thank you @[Ct...] and @[or...]. I do take plenty of magnesium...but I think I'll try drinking some electrolyte powder I have and also more water than I have been. That could easily be the answer, as it's horrifyingly hot here in Florida. Thanks for the suggestions, OL. I hope you're enjoying your new home 😊!

• Like 2

[cd...]

Hi, aching legs is 100% WD symptom, it was one of the symptoms that made me realize i got benzo dependency, it comes strong when in acute and goes when in a nice window. It doesnt have anything to do with exercise or walking, you get it just beacuse and it gets better over time.

[or...]
1 hour ago, [[D...] said:

Hi, aching legs is 100% WD symptom, it was one of the symptoms that made me realize i got benzo dependency, it comes strong when in acute and goes when in a nice window. It doesnt have anything to do with exercise or walking, you get it just beacuse and it gets better over time.

I've had worse aching/pains when over-using different muscles, like when I was moving, or didn't take "rest" days between workouts.  I think it depends on the type of pain/ache we are talking about.  I get some sharp pains due to T2 Diabetes I was diagnosed with before I started tapering. 

I also have bone-loss and imagine much of my pains, or aches are due to the start of osteoporosis.  I also have arthritis.  I'm not saying none of these things could be coming from wd, or due to taking the C for so many years.  I have family members, and ancestors that had 2 of the above, and so it could be I would have gotten all of those even if I hadn't taken a benzo.

The only way each individual can know is if we try things out.  The folks I know that keep there bodies moving, and try to eat nutritional meals are doing the best.  If you cannot move, even doing exercise/stretches from in bed, then I don't know anything about that and can't contribute any experience, oregonlady

• Like 1

3 hours ago, [[A...] said:

Thank you @[Ct...] and @[or...]. I do take plenty of magnesium...but I think I'll try drinking some electrolyte powder I have and also more water than I have been. That could easily be the answer, as it's horrifyingly hot here in Florida. Thanks for the suggestions, OL. I hope you're enjoying your new home 😊!

Hi, @[Ad...]. I do still have lots of pain and stiff muscle issues everywhere, including legs. It's the only wd worry left. I think, yes, your aching legs are most probably caused by clonazepam and what you say above is exactly something that can help. I'd also add some light exercises but not sure about the nature of your aching legs. I think your swimming is an excellent idea. I swam the other day first time for s long while! Just great!)

Smooth tapering and healing to you:balloon:

[Ad...]

Thank you, @[...]. It’s good to know that the aches are very likely wd sx. I’m 77, and also have arthritis, and it’s worst behind my knees so I was catastrophising about needing double knee replacement surgery or something. Like @[Ca...], I spend a lot of hours lying in bed because I don’t sleep well and am too tired to do much. So grateful for our swimming pool. It’s just an above ground one, but still does the trick for some mild exercise. Thanks for sharing your info.

• Like 1

@[Ad...], i'm so glad for you to go swimming and find relaxation and pleasure there. I think it's one of the best ways to treat many of benzo symptoms.

Since you also have arthritis, meaning there is an issue of its own, it's no wonder your legs respond to clonazepam cuts. As far as i know and feel it myself, all our weak points feel lots worse than they're in fact while reducing benzo and it hardly means things are actually that bad. Hope with all my heart your knees will get better when your body adjusts to the cut. Good luck to you!😊

[Ad...]

Thanks @[...] and @[Do...]. It's kind of scary wondering what other things might show up as I keep tapering. Doing my best to see withdrawal sx as a sign that recovery is starting to take place. I was originally prescribed Klonopin 22 years ago for a condition called cervical dystonia, spasms and pain in my neck, that I believe were a side effect of an antidepressant I was on at the time. I quickly became tolerant of 1 mg but didn't know that was what was going on.

• Like 1

[cd...]
5 hours ago, [[A...] said:

Thanks @[...] and @[Do...]. It's kind of scary wondering what other things might show up as I keep tapering. Doing my best to see withdrawal sx as a sign that recovery is starting to take place. I was originally prescribed Klonopin 22 years ago for a condition called cervical dystonia, spasms and pain in my neck, that I believe were a side effect of an antidepressant I was on at the time. I quickly became tolerant of 1 mg but didn't know that was what was going on.

I am glad you are getting improvements, i am back to acute and back to leg and arms pain, it's been like a month without these symptoms but they are back stronger. It's really scary, i am also getting new symptoms i never had before, getting harder and darker.

• 2 weeks later...
[Fo...]
On 22/06/2024 at 22:14, [[C...] said:

Has anyone experienced achy legs during withdrawal? They just came on again today and are very painful. I am spending way too much time in bed and maybe that is causing it but I am walking a mile and a half around four pm and we had a heat advisory but I was well hydrated. Any input would be appreciated!

I'm 3 years out almost and I ache alot, especially the arms and legs  it feels like acid in the muscles 

• Like 1

[An...]

Good afternoon @[Ca...]

Is the leg pain still bothering you?

I have been trying to do a little more resistance training and that has been helping me a little. I just have to be really careful, not overdue things and injure myself.

[Gi...]
23 hours ago, [[F...] said:

I'm 3 years out almost and I ache alot, especially the arms and legs  it feels like acid in the muscles 

Is this the only symptom left for you @[Fo...]

[vo...]
On 21/07/2024 at 12:03, [[F...] said:

That's a really good way to describe this new feeling I am having. Before it was the intermittent burning, twitching and jerking. Now it is the acid feeling. Glad you weighed in on this feeling.