Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Switching from Ativan to Clonazepam for taper

[vi...]

update: maybe still feeling a little withdrawal from ativan. have had the chills/shivers since switching to clonazepam at 8 pm

[vi...]

update: have not slept at all since taking the first dose of clonazepam as it caused the worst insomnia ive ever experienced. my pcp suggested either taking half doses or just to cold turkey it all. so im pretty much screwed i guess.

[je...]

I’m sorry you’re struggling. With the insomnia would your doctor reconsider the Ativan? Otherwise you might want to attempt a faster taper considering your short term use.

[vi...]

@[je...] i suggested that and he shut me down. his options were literally either cold turkey or try to take half a dose of clonazepam instead

[je...]

I’m sorry. It’s so frustrating. I don’t understand how cold turkey is better than Ativan. :brickwall: I would get myself a new doctor for future care. 

What would you like to do? Do you want to start tapering or do you want to give it a day or two to see how the crossover goes?

• Like 1

[vi...]

I am 100% switching dr’s offices. I dont want to take the clonazepam as lastnight was literally terrible. I didnt finally get to sleep until around 11 am this morning.

[je...]
Just now, [[v...] said:

I am 100% switching dr’s offices. I dont want to take the clonazepam as lastnight was literally terrible. I didnt finally get to sleep until around 11 am this morning.

You might end up having some insomnia while tapering Ativan as well. But it shouldn’t be this severe at your starting dose if you didn’t have issues before. 

Just keep us updated and let us know how we can help you.

[vi...]

Which is what i figured. Maybe an adverse effect? Im not sure. He quite literally told me maybe just try to cold turkey and get the withdrawal over with.

[je...]
4 minutes ago, [[v...] said:

Which is what i figured. Maybe an adverse effect? Im not sure. He quite literally told me maybe just try to cold turkey and get the withdrawal over with.

I’m sorry. He clearly underestimates the withdrawal you’re going through. Are you going to try and get Ativan from a new doctor now?

[vi...]

Yes I am going to try that. Hopefully I can get the Ativan with a proper taper schedule. I’ll deal with the withdrawal in between doses but at least I was sleeping. I am a mom of two young kids. I literally can’t afford to not sleep like that. It’s crazy his office is the one who prescribed it in the first place telling me to take it 3 times daily for a week (i took it twice daily) I didn’t know how bad that could be until I tried to stop taking it one day after that week and instantly felt crazy. Im young, 25 and have never been on meds before so I didnt understand until I started researching and realized what had been done.

• Like 1

[je...]

Technically your doctor prescribed your benzo correctly as he stopped it within 3 weeks. Unfortunately you seem to be one of those who quickly developed dependency. I do think though all doctors should provide informed consent  i.e inform patients of the danger of dependency. 

I also had no idea what benzos were and only ended up here once I was struggling with severe withdrawal. It took me about 2 weeks to realise my symptoms were caused by a massive reduction. 

Hopefully you can find a supportive doctor. They don’t have to understand tapering just be supportive of how you want to taper. We can help you with tapering. But just a word of caution, I would not mention to any doctor that you’re receiving advice from a bunch of strangers on the internet. They don’t respond well to that.

[vi...]

Yes after all I have seen they prescribed it correctly but gosh if only I knew I wouldn’t have taken it that much or would’ve reduced my dosages before I stopped taking it. I guess I did develop a dependency quite fast. Thats all I need is the support and to not be treated like an addict from the ones who so freely prescribed it. But yes Im aware how it could sound that I have gotten advice from the internet so I wont be doing that! 

• Like 1

[Cr...]

Hi vidia, sorry to hear your switch to clonazepam didn't go well. It frustrates me that your Dr wouldn't let you stay on Ativan. Some doctors have their own views on each type of benzo that they assume are fact. He may view Ativan as the 'addictive' benzo and clonazepam as the 'safe/less addictive' benzo and is prescribing based on his own bias.

It is often seems to be that the people that want to come off of their benzo get viewed as addicts when they are unable to do it according to the doctor's preferred method. Many other people that stay on their benzo indefinitely, with occasional increases, are just seen as compliant patients.

There are a lot of good doctors out there so check around. In the meantime what are you going to do if it takes a few days to get an appt? You plan on staying on clonazepam until then?

• Like 1

[vi...]
7 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

Hi vidia, sorry to hear your switch to clonazepam didn't go well. It frustrates me that your Dr wouldn't let you stay on Ativan. Some doctors have their own views on each type of benzo that they assume are fact. He may view Ativan as the 'addictive' benzo and clonazepam as the 'safe/less addictive' benzo and is prescribing based on his own bias.

It is often seems to be that the people that want to come off of their benzo get viewed as addicts when they are unable to do it according to the doctor's preferred method. Many other people that stay on their benzo indefinitely, with occasional increases, are just seen as compliant patients.

There are a lot of good doctors out there so check around. In the meantime what are you going to do if it takes a few days to get an appt? You plan on staying on clonazepam until then?

I agree with this so much. Because that is exactly how he treated me this morning, like an addict. I think he is definitely viewing the clonazepam as the better option but he doesn’t realize every person’s body is different. However, I am not taking the clonazepam again. I might try going to the ER in a little to get an emergency script for a few days until I can get in with a new doctor. Im thinking maybe a physiatrist since they generally know more about these type of meds and coming off them? 100% not taking the clonazepam though I cannot go through that again. I was so tired I think I started hallucinating? not seeing things but hearing things.

[vi...]

update: was able to get a small prescription for ativan for a few days. Hopefully I get an appointment soon. They gave me a script for Ativan and Hydroxyzine. Anybody have experience with the Hydroxyzine?

Are you feeling better on the Ativan? Have you been able to get an appointment with a different doctor? I’m sorry you’re feeling discouraged. I know it can be tough.

• Like 1

Somewhat better, I had really no appetite today so I assume my body has to readjust again. I started myself back on 1.5 mg a day. I was so tired today I couldn’t even call around. Definitely calling around tomorrow. I just cant wait to be low enough to make the jump off. I wont rush it but I also wont prolong it if I feel okay. I just feel this has been the worst time of my life ever. 

update: Got an appointment with my same dr tomorrow as he is willing to revisit the ativan taper. (every office i called had months of a wait time). i need some advice. being that i started back at 1.5 mg already down from the 2 mg a day and am feeling kinda okay, a little discomfort (shivers & muscle spasms every now & then) given that this is week 5 of usage period. which would be more ideal, i wanna sound confident in explaining this plan to him a short taper or a longer taper?