Important Survey - Please Participate ×

My daughter's excruciating Symptoms. Anyone experience these? Are these typical?

Hello everyone. I am new to Benzo Buddies and glad to be here. Desperate for help. Sorry for the length of this, but I want you to have the whole picture. My daughter 26 years old, was diagnosed bipolar 6 years ago and has had psychosis / paranoia / catatonia or akathesia from antipsychotics. That's how Ativan came into our lives as it was administered for catatonia then dosages reduced. This cycle repeated a few times.  Also, on these meds, she at times became disfuncional/catatónic like with speech memory, motor, reasoning, function, etc afftected prompting hospitalization and Ativan in higher doses like 6mg/ day which works. In May 2023, She was on lithium 900mg and Ativan 0.5mg twice a day (on Ativan for over three years daily) when she started throwing up, we think from toxicity. She skipped meds and restarted a few days later as she started pacing restless, not talking much, and a bit disfuncional.  She stabilized again at 0.5mg Ativan twice a day but there were first signs of paranoia.  She got fired. Over weeks, started not wanting meds or vitamins, and started cursing at times of meds. She stopped taking meds and vitamins in mid December 2023 and got worse with akathesia, dysfunction, paranoia, psychosis not talking much, withdrawal etc... She's been hospitalized four times. Ativan at 3mg /day and lithium were reintroduced in March 2024 for 4 days in hospital,  then she refused to take it when she got out. I managed to reduce it to 2mg then she stopped it & lithium cold turkey.

She has been and is currently in really bad shape. She unbers and walks for hours in downtown area mostly, is aggressive if she doesn't get her way, hardly  talks, mainly repeats a few curses,  can't reason, withdrawn from family and friends, doesn't answer texts or phone calls, eats junk/fast food, hardly eats at home (paranoia), can't stand me or the house, poor self help and doesn't help in house,  sometimes sleeps, others not especially when laughing uncontrollably, s  new thing,  (like Joker laugh I think). She had improved some, then got worse. Are these symptoms typical or common with Ativan withdrawal, especially cold turkey cessation? I'll take all advise. Thanks.

[Cr...]

Hello duda, I am sorry to hear about how things have been going for your daughter. As a parent, this must be very difficult for you as well.

It seems there are many factors contributing to the current state of your daughter's mental health as well the physical symptoms she is experiencing. Determining the source of many of these symptoms may be difficult for members of this site, thus affecting how effective the support she gets here actually is.

[Pa...]

Hello @[...], welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I'm so very sorry for the situation your family is in, I'm sure you're distressed and heartbroken.

Some of the symptoms you're describing are common for benzodiazepine withdrawal but as @[Cr...] stated, your daughters condition is complicated.  We typically work with people who are interested in tapering from these medications, most of the time with the help of their doctors, is your daughter currently under a doctors care?

We're happy to help you understand benzodiazepine withdrawal and recovery and the difficulty of the process but unless your daughter is willing to commit to tapering from the Ativan, I'm not sure how much help we'll be.  And since your daughter condition is so dire, we would absolutely hope her doctor is on board with her decision to get off the Ativan.

Please let us know how we can help.

@[Pa...]

2 hours ago, [[C...] said:

Hello duda, I am sorry to hear about how things have been going for your daughter. As a parent, this must be very difficult for you as well.

It seems there are many factors contributing to the current state of your daughter's mental health as well the physical symptoms she is experiencing. Determining the source of many of these symptoms may be difficult for members of this site, thus affecting how effective the support she gets here actually is.

Since there are so many variables with her condition the approval process for your account may take a little while longer (no more than 1 day, possibly a few hours). We will get back to you shortly

Ok. Thanks.

[be...]

these benzo pills are evil drugs. it does everything that you have never imagined in your life. it ruins people's lives and destroys their whole families. 

Edited by [be...]
  • Like 3

[Al...]

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation.  Yes benzo withdrawal can cause aggression and paranoia.  Some mental symptoms can be from side-effects of other meds, some can be from life factors.  It's quite difficult to determine.  How quickly was she taken off the ativan and what dose was she taking and for how long was she taking it?  I see you said she refused to take it, and 4mg for a few days and 0.5mg generally speaking...What is the total duration she was on it for?  I think it's partially benzo withdrawals, part side-effects from other meds, and partial inability to cope with life and the mental disorders that come from that.  Back 8 years ago I was the same exact way.  Just know that there is hope for her if I am where I'm at today!

• Like 1

[Al...]

When she is well enough, consider signing her up for a DBT class.  Dialectical Behavioral Therapy works wonders for these situations.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, [[P...] said:

I'm so very sorry for the situation your family is in, I'm sure you're distressed and heartbroken.

Some of the symptoms you're describing are common for benzodiazepine withdrawal but as @[Cr...] stated, your daughters condition is complicated.  We typically work with people who are interested in tapering from these medications, most of the time with the help of their doctors, is your daughter currently under a doctors care?

We're happy to help you understand benzodiazepine withdrawal and recovery and the difficulty of the process but unless your daughter is willing to commit to tapering from the Ativan, I'm not sure how much help we'll be.  And since your daughter condition is so dire, we would absolutely hope her doctor is on board with her decision to get off the Ativan.

@[Pa...]

59 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation.  Yes benzo withdrawal can cause aggression and paranoia.  Some mental symptoms can be from side-effects of other meds, some can be from life factors.  It's quite difficult to determine.  How quickly was she taken off the ativan and what dose was she taking and for how long was she taking it?  I see you said she refused to take it, and 4mg for a few days and 0.5mg generally speaking...What is the total duration she was on it for?  I think it's partially benzo withdrawals, part side-effects from other meds, and partial inability to cope with life and the mental disorders that come from that.  Back 8 years ago I was the same exact way.  Just know that there is hope for her if I am where I'm at today!

She was mostly on Ativan 0.5mg twice a day for three years. At times in those three years dose was briefly increased to 4mg or 6mg for catatonia. She refused meds in Dec. 2023 with abrupt cessation. In March 2004, at ER, was given Ativan 3mg daily and lithium for four days (can't guarantee she didn't spit out some).  Once discharged, she fought meds again. Fast taper to 2mg/ day then stopped. She has a psychiatrist, but won't go. 

10 hours ago, [[P...] said:

@[Pa...]

2 hours ago, [[A...] said:

Mostly taking Ativan 0.5mg  twice daily and lithium 900mg for the past three years. There were adjustments especially of Ativan to hi doses when she would seem catatónic with distinction in speech, socialization, cognitive, etc.

2 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

@[...], do you agree with your daughters medical diagnosis?

She has mood issues, but I think there's more to it than bipolar. 

I have gone through all of the above symptoms so my thoughts are based on my experience. This is a very tough situation, as others have already stated, and I agree that what your daughter is going through might be a combination of withdraw symptoms, toxicity/damage from meds, and unresolved conflicts.

During withdrawal, it is common to experience a sort of manic-aggressive confrontational mood and urge to have sudden angry outbursts, usually triggered by being confronted with a conflict that challenges this person's identity or territory. The aggressive behavior of a person that’s "cornered"  is of a defensive nature. It is a chance for the person to defend one’s ‘territory' and to secure one’s place.

If she was my daughter or sister, I would try to talk to her and explain why she would need to spend some time in a safe space of a family home where she can be looked after so she can come down and allow the symptoms to work themselves out. That is what I did.

The hyperactivity and constant need to move is the result of feeling stuck in a situation and the physical movement alleviates it, calming the anxiety. I just walked around from room to room until I didn’t have the need to do it anymore.

During withdrawal, most of us can’t do anything useful around the house, because just allowing the time to pass is an accomplishment in itself, I couldn’t figure out how to wash dishes or even stay still long enough to wash them.

I know of many people, including myself, that had to stay at home for a long time and have their friend, mom or dad take care of them and help them to pass this time so their body can come back to homeostasis or balance.

When given the proper time and place, all the symptoms iron themselves out and the brain repairs itself. Once my mind was clear from drugs and withdrawal, it was much easier for it resolve any remaining conflicts. With your love, patience and perseverance she has a very good chance of getting better.

God bless

13 hours ago, [[b...] said:

these benzo pills are evil drugs. it does everything that you have never imagined in your life. it ruins people's lives and destroys their whole families. 

This.  Benzos are worse than opioids (even the harder ones like methadone and fent imo).  At least fentanyl has the consideration to kill you pretty quickly.  Benzos want you to suffer vigorously before mercilessly giving you seizures and then taking your life after.

• Like 2

I'm so sorry you and your daughter are dealing with this.  My son is 29 years old and has been diagnosed with recurrent catatonia.   He has had many other diagnoses since age 13, (including bipolar, and misdiagnoses as schizophrenia, psychosis) He has been benzodiazepine dependent for many years now.  Many attempts to decrease his ativan (lorazepam)  would result in what we now recognize as catatonia (at times the "excited" type - which can look like mania and akathesia/ restlessness/aggression/walking walking walking, breaking glass, hitting his head on the walls and windows) and other times the inability to interact, unable to speak, and just sits and stares, cant move or walk,  fully withdrawn and immobile, and cant even eat or shower.   He has been hospitalized multiple times .  Before they understood it was catatonia, they put him on SO many antipsychotics and other meds at the other hospitals, which all make catatonia WORSE.  THe worst catatonia episode happened when he had to stop lithium due to kidney issues.  He was hopstalized a long time then and they put him on so many meds that made him worse.   We transferred him to Mayo Clinic Hospital,  where they took him off all meds and had ECT (electroconvulsive therapy) to emergently stabilize him. Mayo was actually the best hospitalization he ever had,  - and they actually helped him and knew what they were doing, unlike all the previous hospitalizations.  It was a really good experience there and he came out actually feeling good.   ECT there saved his life, and then lorazepam worked again and he was SO much better and came home off all the other meds and just on lorazepam and depakote.   

Over the past 5 years he has actually stabilized and improved and held a job now and lives on his own, and manages things much better.   He tried some very slow tapers of lorazepam with his doctors recomendations, (and I mean SLOW, less than 5% per month)  but would always have return of the catatonia and could not speak or work.  He tried switching to diazepam and tapering slowly off that, which is supposed to be easier to taper from, but that did not work as well for catatonia and he developed catatonia again - which resolved when he got back to lorazepam.    Apparently lorazepam is much better med for catatonia than diazepam.   So, now he is back on that.  

Your daughters symptoms certainly fit with catatonia, and it could be due to either a dose decrease in lithium, or due to developing "withdrawal tolerance" to the lorazepam she has been on, and now missing doses, she is in full withdrawal and in her case that will  trigger the extreme excited catatonia.   Then once in catatonia, self care disappears and they stop taking meds and everything spirals.   Catatonia can be hard to differentiate from bipolar mania and psychosis. and can all occur along with bipolar.  If she has history of catatonia and her current symptoms, she needs to have someone first adjust her lorazepam dose up and to see if that's what the problem is - and add back the lithium her brain is used to before changing or adding other meds which just confuses things.  Antipsychotics and antidepressants make some people with catatonia much worse.  Once she stabilizes, then if her goal is to decrease the lorazepam or lithium, she will need to do that extremely slowly and with supervision. 

If she is unsafe or deteriorating more with her situation, she may need hospitalization.  They can do a "lorazepam challenge test" to see if it's due to lorazepam withdrawal or not, and then know how to treat effectively to stabilize her.  It'a a long haul.  Hang in there..  NAMI has been a good support for me.  You are a good mama working to figure out what to do..... I will say a prayer.  

• Like 1

On 21/06/2024 at 14:47, [[s...] said:

I have gone through all of the above symptoms so my thoughts are based on my experience. This is a very tough situation, as others have already stated, and I agree that what your daughter is going through might be a combination of withdraw symptoms, toxicity/damage from meds, and unresolved conflicts.

During withdrawal, it is common to experience a sort of manic-aggressive confrontational mood and urge to have sudden angry outbursts, usually triggered by being confronted with a conflict that challenges this person's identity or territory. The aggressive behavior of a person that’s "cornered"  is of a defensive nature. It is a chance for the person to defend one’s ‘territory' and to secure one’s place.

If she was my daughter or sister, I would try to talk to her and explain why she would need to spend some time in a safe space of a family home where she can be looked after so she can come down and allow the symptoms to work themselves out. That is what I did.

The hyperactivity and constant need to move is the result of feeling stuck in a situation and the physical movement alleviates it, calming the anxiety. I just walked around from room to room until I didn’t have the need to do it anymore.

During withdrawal, most of us can’t do anything useful around the house, because just allowing the time to pass is an accomplishment in itself, I couldn’t figure out how to wash dishes or even stay still long enough to wash them.

I know of many people, including myself, that had to stay at home for a long time and have their friend, mom or dad take care of them and help them to pass this time so their body can come back to homeostasis or balance.

When given the proper time and place, all the symptoms iron themselves out and the brain repairs itself. Once my mind was clear from drugs and withdrawal, it was much easier for it resolve any remaining conflicts. With your love, patience and perseverance she has a very good chance of getting better.

God bless

Thanks for sharing your story. The big problem with my daughter is that she distrusts and can't stand me, is completely detached from her brother and sister, family and friends. I would love to care for her, but she won't even touch home cooked food as she is suspicious. She presents her hospitalizations and blames me for everything. She doesn't want to come home. It is very tough.

On 21/06/2024 at 21:14, [[W...] said:

I'm so sorry you and your daughter are dealing with this.  My son is 29 years old and has been diagnosed with recurrent catatonia.   He has had many other diagnoses since age 13, (including bipolar, and misdiagnoses as schizophrenia, psychosis) He has been benzodiazepine dependent for many years now.  Many attempts to decrease his ativan (lorazepam)  would result in what we now recognize as catatonia (at times the "excited" type - which can look like mania and akathesia/ restlessness/aggression/walking walking walking, breaking glass, hitting his head on the walls and windows) and other times the inability to interact, unable to speak, and just sits and stares, cant move or walk,  fully withdrawn and immobile, and cant even eat or shower.   He has been hospitalized multiple times .  Before they understood it was catatonia, they put him on SO many antipsychotics and other meds at the other hospitals, which all make catatonia WORSE.  THe worst catatonia episode happened when he had to stop lithium due to kidney issues.  He was hopstalized a long time then and they put him on so many meds that made him worse.   We transferred him to Mayo Clinic Hospital,  where they took him off all meds and had ECT (electroconvulsive therapy) to emergently stabilize him. Mayo was actually the best hospitalization he ever had,  - and they actually helped him and knew what they were doing, unlike all the previous hospitalizations.  It was a really good experience there and he came out actually feeling good.   ECT there saved his life, and then lorazepam worked again and he was SO much better and came home off all the other meds and just on lorazepam and depakote.   

Over the past 5 years he has actually stabilized and improved and held a job now and lives on his own, and manages things much better.   He tried some very slow tapers of lorazepam with his doctors recomendations, (and I mean SLOW, less than 5% per month)  but would always have return of the catatonia and could not speak or work.  He tried switching to diazepam and tapering slowly off that, which is supposed to be easier to taper from, but that did not work as well for catatonia and he developed catatonia again - which resolved when he got back to lorazepam.    Apparently lorazepam is much better med for catatonia than diazepam.   So, now he is back on that.  

Your daughters symptoms certainly fit with catatonia, and it could be due to either a dose decrease in lithium, or due to developing "withdrawal tolerance" to the lorazepam she has been on, and now missing doses, she is in full withdrawal and in her case that will  trigger the extreme excited catatonia.   Then once in catatonia, self care disappears and they stop taking meds and everything spirals.   Catatonia can be hard to differentiate from bipolar mania and psychosis. and can all occur along with bipolar.  If she has history of catatonia and her current symptoms, she needs to have someone first adjust her lorazepam dose up and to see if that's what the problem is - and add back the lithium her brain is used to before changing or adding other meds which just confuses things.  Antipsychotics and antidepressants make some people with catatonia much worse.  Once she stabilizes, then if her goal is to decrease the lorazepam or lithium, she will need to do that extremely slowly and with supervision. 

If she is unsafe or deteriorating more with her situation, she may need hospitalization.  They can do a "lorazepam challenge test" to see if it's due to lorazepam withdrawal or not, and then know how to treat effectively to stabilize her.  It'a a long haul.  Hang in there..  NAMI has been a good support for me.  You are a good mama working to figure out what to do..... I will say a prayer.  

Your son and my daughter seem to have very similar issues. My challenge now is that she is refusing meds. I've hospitalized her, and a few days later she's out and doesn't want to take it. What Ativan and lithium doses are your son on?

On 21/06/2024 at 06:23, [[A...] said:

When she is well enough, consider signing her up for a DBT class.  Dialectical Behavioral Therapy works wonders for these situations.

I absolutely agree with this type of therapy! It helped me tremendously - way more than any pill that was ever prescribed. 

Please keep trying to reach her. I understand her because I also distrusted everyone close to me (it was not me, just one of the withdrawal symptoms). But it was the hospital that got me sick from these drugs and it was only my family that helped me properly go off of them and get me better, because only my family truly cared about me, not strangers.

10 hours ago, [[v...] said:

I absolutely agree with this type of therapy! It helped me tremendously - way more than any pill that was ever prescribed. 

I hope one day she is well enough to be in therapy.

10 hours ago, [[s...] said:

Please keep trying to reach her. I understand her because I also distrusted everyone close to me (it was not me, just one of the withdrawal symptoms). But it was the hospital that got me sick from these drugs and it was only my family that helped me properly go off of them and get me better, because only my family truly cared about me, not strangers.

I have no family anymore.