Jump to content
Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

    For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

    Donate with PayPal button

Memory loss


Recommended Posts

[Hu...]

Hi I’d like to talk about memory issues. I quit benzos more than 3 years ago and I still don’t remember do many things including my childhood that was before benzos and time after quitting. I was hoping this would change but I quit 3 years ago… 😰 any experiences? Thank you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

[Cr...]

Hello Hubbabubba, welcome to Benzo Buddies. I am terribly sorry for the state you find yourself in. I am trying to determine if this site would be the appropriate venue to find support for your issue. Can you share some more information about your situation?

How old are you?

What benzo did you use and how long were you on it for?

Am I understanding you correctly that you don't remember much from before and after benzo use? That implies you remember your time on benzos comparatively well. 

When you say you don't remember, are you talking about small details or important details like names/faces of close friends and family, places you lived, and major life events?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[Pa...]

Hello @[Hu...], welcome.

I haven't read many members talk about memory problems as drastic as yours but nothing surprises me about these medications and what they can do to us.

I hope you find others who have some experience to share, I know its reassuring when we find common ground with others.

@[Pa...]

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

[be...]

yes. we lose some memory. let's just hope we get healed as much as we can before it is too severe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

[Bi...]

I can definitely understand as I've had a large problem with my long-term memory thanks to benzos, as well as my short-term. But my short-term is definitely improving and I will get a random memory back out of the blue - so I am definitely more hopeful that this is all going to get better, but memory has been mentionned as one of the last things to heal on other posts I have found.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

[Br...]
13 hours ago, [[H...] said:

any experiences?

@[Hu...] - Along with my cognition in general, my memory really took a hit from benzos both while I was on them and after.   It's been 4 1/2 years since I stopped taking benzos.  My memory has slowly and gradually improved over that time. It really concerned me but it's much less of a worry now.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[Su...]

@[Hu...]My short term memory is shot after about 17 years of klonopin and ambien and discontinuing in 2023, disasterously. 

I find that my long term memory is best about early child events (i'm 56 y.o.), especially with the intrusive thoughts.  

My married years, mostly during which I took the meds, are mostly lost. If someone reminds me of those years , things I did, people I knew, I can connect to some memories but not without that external prompting.

My theory is that the brain stores information differently when under the influence of benzos.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[or...]

I have that as well.  I am wondering if some of the dimentia and altzheimers could be related to prescription drugs.  I don't want to get onto a "hate" thread towards meds, but it's just a thought.

What I am believing is in the healing from this crap.  I just moved which was a huge load on me to do so, but I did it, and am closer to everything I need in my life, plus, I'm back in my home-State.  I'm looking forward to more and more healing, and my beautiful area I was able to move back to, Oregonlady (now the name fits ;) )

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[Ad...]

The cognitive and memory problems were the main reason I wanted to get off Klonopin after taking it for 22 years. I'm now at 37% of my original dose, still tapering, but I've already seen an improvement in my memory. And for some reason, once I started tapering, it was kind of like an automatic life review going on in my brain, remembering things I hadn't thought of in years. I also started dreaming again and being able to remember what I dreamed. So just telling you my experience and hoping that you are just healing more slowly in this area. Getting off of them is certainly an important step.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[Su...]
7 hours ago, [[A...] said:

The cognitive and memory problems were the main reason I wanted to get off Klonopin after taking it for 22 years. I'm now at 37% of my original dose, still tapering, but I've already seen an improvement in my memory. And for some reason, once I started tapering, it was kind of like an automatic life review going on in my brain, remembering things I hadn't thought of in years. I also started dreaming again and being able to remember what I dreamed. So just telling you my experience and hoping that you are just healing more slowly in this area. Getting off of them is certainly an important step.

@[Ad...]I relate to this " it was kind of like an automatic life review going on in my brain, remembering things I hadn't thought of in years."

I thikn because I didn't go slowly, this "life slideshow" has really been heard for me. It brought up all of the worst stuff in my life, including childhood trauma.  In a weird way, it showed me what was at the root of my problems as an adult....

Even so, I'd like to get back to normal. This has left me feeling many times like there is no future.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[Ad...]

Oh @[Su...], I'm sorry your life slideshow is upsetting to you. I too sometimes find mine showing me the stupid choices I've made or how people took advantage of me or ways that I was a terrible parent. It can get pretty depressing. But I just tell myself this too shall pass...and maybe it's just my benzo brain being negative. Because sometimes it remembers happy times too. Hang in there. Things will get better!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[Em...]

I have been reading a lot about both benzos and their biochemical effects on the brain and also what causes dementia lately.

Very short answer is that there is connection between dementia like symptoms and long term benzo use. But they don't cause the degenerative diseases alzheimers, lewy body, vascular dementia ect. They can on the the other hand speed up their progression in people who already have/would have gotten them.

The dementia like symptoms from benzos are considered reversable in healthy individuals (people who don't have dementia) - though it might take a long time. Like a lot of other side effects from these drugs.

Hope this puts some worries at ease. There are protective factors/ brain health factors you can do to help your brain recover. Easy to google them ;)

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 25/06/2024 at 18:10, [[E...] said:

I have been reading a lot about both benzos and their biochemical effects on the brain and also what causes dementia lately.

Very short answer is that there is connection between dementia like symptoms and long term benzo use. But they don't cause the degenerative diseases alzheimers, lewy body, vascular dementia ect. They can on the the other hand speed up their progression in people who already have/would have gotten them.

The dementia like symptoms from benzos are considered reversable in healthy individuals (people who don't have dementia) - though it might take a long time. Like a lot of other side effects from these drugs.

Hope this puts some worries at ease. There are protective factors/ brain health factors you can do to help your brain recover. Easy to google them ;)

Yes - i agree this is very comforting. i am 56 and it would be great to make a comeback and live again. for two years or more I am just walking around a ghost...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/06/2024 at 18:49, [[S...] said:

In a weird way, it showed me what was at the root of my problems as an adult....

Yes.👍 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...