Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Should I press on or wait

[da...]

My tapering become more and more difficult when the goal is getting closer. I am at 2mg Valium currently (starting from 35mg Valium equivalent) WDs is getting a bit more intense than before and it takes longer to stabilize.

Ahston manual said that we should press on because it prolong the tapering and may not to stabilize. So it is better to press on and start the healing earlier.

I wonder how our BBs opinion

Edited by [da...]

[Cr...]

Since I did a cold turkey off of .5 klonopin (equal to 10 mg Valium) I don't have anything to share based on personal experience. I will share some ideas based on observations of other members over the years.

I would not want you to jump off and then second guess your decision due to symptoms that may have occured no matter when you decided to jump. For some people, jumping off from the smallest dose manageable at least provides them with the peace of mind that they did all that they could.

Was there a dose to jump from that you originally had in mind before the worsening symptoms came about?

If you feel that staying on for many more months tapering will not be viable for you (or you are just plain ready to be done asap), but 2 mg still seems too high for you, you also have the option of doing bigger percentage cuts or shorter time periods between cuts.

Lets say you wanted to jump from .25 mg. Rather than doing 10% cuts every 2 to 3 weeks (if that is what you were doing) you make a cut every 1 week or do bigger % cuts than you were doing. You could even try a flat amount like .25 a week until done.

I hope some people that tapered off of Valium give you some feedback soon.

In summary, if 2mg feels too high but tapering 10% bi-weekly to your goal feels too long, you could always try a middle ground approach for the remainder. It should be better than jumping off from 2mg right now at least, unless the med itself is making you worse when taking it.

[da...]

@[Cr...]

Yes! A 0.25mg cut every 2 weeks until 0.25mg. That's exactly what I am doing and it's getting difficult.

Because it's a flat cut, the percentage if cut is getting higher so it's more intense for each wave (e.g. from 1mg to 0.75mg is a 25% cut)

I am now at 2mg and things are getting difficult. I need 3 weeks or so to be stabilized (and it probably going to be longer)

So, should I keep my schedule of tapering every 2 weeks and press on? Just get rid of benzo then start my healing earlier 

*Sorry if my original post is confusing

[Cr...]

Are you able to cut your pills to where you could do .125 mg cuts for the remainder 2 mgs?

If that is too difficult for dry cuts you could try liquid titration. 

Of course you can also continue what you have been doing and push through the best you can. While you 'technically' could jump off now, I don't think anyone would suggest so as they would feel some guilt if it ended up affecting you badly.

If you can manage it, try to go as low as you can tolerate before jumping. That way you won't waste time doubting your decision and ruminating on whether you should have tapered lower.