Important Survey - Please Participate ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

How often can I embarrass myself?

[Bi...]

All it took today was 10minutes of getting in my head about something and then messaging an old colleague from a previous job, but afterwards I remembered quickly that she wasn't the sort to be responsive or caring and so she'll probably just be confused about the message and think strangely of me. So then I get in my head again about how much I might have embarrassed myself, particularly if I consider returning to the organisation and am around her again. But equally, how often I've probably done this during my withdrawal when I've not thought things through logically in the moment. 

[je...]

This sucks. I can also overthink certain things to a point where I stress myself out. The best is to try and let it go because it happened and there’s nothing you can do to change it. It’s also likely that she’s not spending an enormous amount of time thinking about the message or you. Our brains make it so much worse than what it actually is. But I know it’s very difficult to switch off once your brain gets fixated on something.

• Like 1

[Bi...]

True, I need to remember my brain is overthinking and maming it worse. Other people probably don't take it in half as much.

[Si...]

You dont embarrass yourself Not Nearly often enough!!!! :D specially not enough so that we stop overthinking. because we kinda love it don't we? xD

On a more serious note: overthinking usually is a cycle. if we allow ourselves to think about some stuff for xx amount of time per day and then get on with our day it can help.
Or to always see the nuance of the story/thought, challenge it both ways like cognitive behavior therapy.

Specially during withdrawal we all have it and is very common. but I had it before w/d and after as well so :D
It also helps me cope, and processes, a small sense of control and also to really dive into some research or philosophy with deep thought.
getting the benefit out of it and then applying to my lifestyle, condition it and then let it go. 

So its Not a bad thing at the same time. you'll figurue out in live when it helps you and when it doesn't its all about managing that.
Seeing you are in w/d I would try not too worry much about that outlook for now :)
You'll get there when the time comes.

Edited by [Si...]
  • Like 1

[Ma...]

You’re anxiety is telling you they’re thinking about you when in truth they are most likely only thinking about themselves.

When we were healthy, after any conversation-blunder or not-we would move on to the next thing in our life. Lunch plans, evening concert, school, an interesting book etc. 

Now we are myopic, focusing on the minutiae of all that is off in our lives while we inhabit an alternate universe.

Your only job is to do the best you can in  every moment WITHOUT JUDGEMENT.

Mindfulness is your ally and not only practicing its principles will allow you more peace of mind, it also aides in healing. You can find more information on Baylissa’s page.

Go easy on yourself. Be kind to yourself. The only person judging you is you.

• Like 2

[Bi...]
18 hours ago, [[M...] said:

You’re anxiety is telling you they’re thinking about you when in truth they are most likely only thinking about themselves.

When we were healthy, after any conversation-blunder or not-we would move on to the next thing in our life. Lunch plans, evening concert, school, an interesting book etc. 

Now we are myopic, focusing on the minutiae of all that is off in our lives while we inhabit an alternate universe.

Your only job is to do the best you can in  every moment WITHOUT JUDGEMENT.

Mindfulness is your ally and not only practicing its principles will allow you more peace of mind, it also aides in healing. You can find more information on Baylissa’s page.

Go easy on yourself. Be kind to yourself. The only person judging you is you.

Thank you 😊 reading this is helping me reframe it for myself and remond myself how to approach things!