Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Quitting caffeine advice

[Mi...]

I have been through a lot of medication switches - caffeine seems to cause anxiety attacks for me. I have survived off caffeine over the years as a mom to young kids - basically right now about a 4 ounce cup is all I can tolerate without it sending me into a panic - online says to taper much slower - feel I have no choice - don’t want to mess my system up even more but feel stuck between a rock and a hard place - any advice? 

[Js...]
55 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

I have been through a lot of medication switches - caffeine seems to cause anxiety attacks for me. I have survived off caffeine over the years as a mom to young kids - basically right now about a 4 ounce cup is all I can tolerate without it sending me into a panic - online says to taper much slower - feel I have no choice - don’t want to mess my system up even more but feel stuck between a rock and a hard place - any advice? 

I was a coffee addict, worked at Starbucks for 5 years bringing 1lb of coffee home for free weekly.

I am a smoker too.

Twenty days into being sober and off Xanax, I try to only drink one cup a day in the morning and less on a day I have a window. 

You could try the following:

• Take that 4oz or less and dilute it with unsweet almond milk (kind of like a latte but no espresso) save the reminder coffee in the fridge for a craving and spread it evenly through the day if needed
  • Try Decaf instead. It might trick your brain since its same flavor but roughly 97% less caffeine
  • Avoid lighter roasts (they have a lot more caffeine)
  • Avoid instant coffee as it's processed (harder to measure as well)
  • Avoid sugar with coffee 
  • Avoid Starbucks
  • Switch up with Tea. Matcha tea is really good for the mornings and green tea can be okay too. Matcha can be expensive, but if you try it, try to order it online for something of quality
  • throughout the day, try herbal teas, chamomile or lavender tea if you feel anxious

Its important to note, that caffeine can cause anxiety as you stated. A more ideal method is to do a switch up to herbal teas and eat healthier.

If you must have caffeine, then I do recommend decaf coffee or green tea. Drinking it black with no sugar, or add some unsweet almond milk as sugar certainly does not help in my experience.

<3 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[Le...]

i found that i could dilute it a ton. the most important part was the warm slightly creamy drink. i really do like the strong coffee flavour but diluting to half and then more after a few days had little to no wd like effects. the warm drink routine was important to me though.  

• Like 1