Important Survey - Please Participate ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

Experience with Buspirone while tapering

[ro...]

Hi all,

Just wanted to check if anyone got experience with Buspirone while tapering down. The worst symptom for me is anxiety and I red that this medication helps with this as it is non benzo based and doesn't create addiction or any withdrawal after stop taking.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

[Co...]

Hello @[ro...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

I have no personal experience with buspirone, but other members do. I expect they will be better able to advise you.

Have you tried using the search system?

Main menu => Discover => Search

Be sure to also search using brand names for buspirone (Buspar and Namanspin).

[Cr...]

Hi Roman, welcome to Benzo Buddies!

Buspar is often used as an adjunct with other anxiety/depression meds. It is typically taken twice a day. Here are several user reviews and ratings for this drug in regards to anxiety efficacy.

https://www.drugs.com/comments/buspirone/buspar-for-anxiety.html

From what I recall doctors telling me, the effect on anxiety is very mild (hence twice a day) but still noticeable. I doubt it will totally get rid of your anxiety while tapering but it might dull the edges a bit. It has minimal withdrawal symptoms compared to other meds for anxiety, but like other meds it does come with potential side effects.

• Like 1

[Br...]

I don't have an answer for you about whether buspirone would significantly help with anxiety during withdrawal.  My understanding of buspirone's effectiveness is similar to what @[Cr...] says: that is, it has a relatively mild effect in reducing anxiety.  I also have heard that some people don't find it effective at all. In other words, it may or may not be helpful depending on the individual.

Many of us on BB know firsthand that medical professionals frequently seem to minimize the risk of withdrawal issues.  When you contemplate starting a new medication I think it's important to take into account the likelihood you will have to taper off and possibly experience withdrawal symptoms.

Here is a thread from Surviving Antidepressants on tapering off buspirone.

• Like 2

[ro...]

Hi guys,

Many thanks for getting back to me. I have checked the reviews via the link you shared. It has been very helpful, I will give it a go and once again thank you .

Kind regards 

[Kr...]

Im taking 5mg of buspirone in the morning. During the tapper I already took 15mg and did the downgrade really well. When I don’t take it, I feel anxious but just that! But yeah, never left it also. So on the long term, I don’t know how is the whitdrawal 

• Like 2