Important Survey - Please Participate ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

Calibrating the scale

[Ca...]

I am using a gem weight scale. I only calibrate it when I take it out of the box or when I cannot get a consistent read. However, a few people have said they calibrate each time before they make a new cut and also put a coin under the weighing tray before pushing the Tare button.

Are these standard operating procedures?

Thanks

[En...]
8 hours ago, [[C...] said:

I am using a gem weight scale. I only calibrate it when I take it out of the box or when I cannot get a consistent read. However, a few people have said they calibrate each time before they make a new cut and also put a coin under the weighing tray before pushing the Tare button.

Are these standard operating procedures?

Thanks

What I do is use a 10g weight that usually comes with the scale when I first take it out of the box to calibrate the scale. What I do is I keep the weight on the scale for the entire weighing of every pill. If I take the pill off and the weight is off 10g I will take the weight off and put it back on the scale until it reads 10g again.

I saw this on a YouTube video and works well for me. 

[Ja...]

My scales are the same,they can fluctuate slightly,I weigh my dose say 3 times to get as close as poss

[Br...]

I don't calibrate each time.  (I'm tapering an antidepressant.). I calibrate only if the scale doesn't return to -0- after I finish measuring a dose.  It's not a bad idea to calibrate every time but it seems unnecessary to me.  I suggest you do what makes you feel comfortable and confident in your method.

[Ca...]

Thank you for your reply!

As a follow up, do you put the weighing dish on and then push tare before you weigh the pill?

Do you put any other weight on the weighing dish or under the weighing dish before pushing tare and then adding the pill?

I have never felt comfortable or confident weighing pills on these gram scales.

[Br...]
10 hours ago, [[C...] said:

As a follow up, do you put the weighing dish on and then push tare before you weigh the pill?

Yes, that's exactly what I do.

Do you put any other weight on the weighing dish or under the weighing dish before pushing tare and then adding the pill?

I haven't needed to add weight because so far my pill fragments weigh enough to register on the scale. It depends on how much your pills weigh.  At some point I may need to add weight.

have never felt comfortable or confident weighing pills on these gram scales.

It takes getting used to, that's for sure.  The scale can get finicky. I often need to make little adjustments, like lifting the tray and putting in down again a few times, removing or adding a few grains of the pill, before the scale gives a the reading I'm looking for.  

You'll get the hang of it!

[Ca...]

My pills are reading without the extra weight although their weight fluctuates a lot and I have gotten to the point that if it settles close enough, I use it. Valium has such a long half life. 

• Like 1

[Br...]

When you get down to weights that are harder to get consistent readings on you may want to add the weight.  I don't know when weights become harder to get consistent readings on.  Pretty sure it's under 50 at least.