Important Survey - Please Participate ×

I can’t stop caffiene

[An...]

I hear that you are supposed to stop caffeine I drink 2 red bulls a day I’m not sure if it is making my symptoms worse I have been addicted to redbull for 10 years and can’t go without it how do I stop I’ve tried to substitute to coffee less Caffiene or juice in the morning but I end up going back 

If you feel ok, don't worry about it. If you need to quit, you'll know it.

I never thought I would give up coffee. The benzo chemical damage certainly changed that thinking. 

I agree with @[...]. If you feel fine with caffeine, it's ok to keep drinking, not too much though. I like coffee but stopped it while in tolerance. Thought it would help. It didn't make any difference but deprived me of my little pleasures. I began drinking coffee again at the end of my taper. It feels ok. Oh, and a couple of neurologists told me to take it like a medication. They didn't thought much about benzo withdrawal but they could essess my physical condition professionally that's why i believed them)

• Like 1

Hay bud your lucky if you can get away with a coffee,I went back in the coffee a coffee weeks back,it was ok 1 day then another day I got severe anxiety and stopped it again 

Like most others have said, you are not obligated to stop caffeine if it is not bothering you. Even if it is making your anxiety a little worse, you should only stop using it of you think you are in a place in recovery where you can manage a caffeine withdrawal on top of what you are already dealing with. When I stopped caffeine I only had fatigue and a headache for a few days, but I wasn't battling benzo withdrawal when I stopped.

Caffeine and even Nicotine, while not the healthiest things to be addicted to, will not slow down or prevent recovery from benzodiazepines.

Edited by [Cr...]

i would switch to another source at the minimum and wean down too. the huge amount of sugar and additives in energy drinks are horrible besides the caffeine. 

i actually find caffeine helps me atm but likely because I have been off a long time and it gives people a dose of happy chemicals for a bit. I need some happy but likely not great to overdo as i often do. 

• Like 1

On 15/06/2024 at 00:06, [[A...] said:

What did caffeine do to do ? 

I drank coffee daily my entire adult life.

Once my thinking cleared from the benzo damage, I could feel that the coffee revved me in an uncomfortable anxious way.

I never thought I'd quit coffee. But now I don't even miss it. Occasionally I'll have a decaf just for something different.