Important Survey - Please Participate ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

What do you say when you don't want to say you were drug harmed?

[Re...]

I used to be very open about my experience with psychiatric drugs because harm from them is more common than people realize. But since moving to a new city, I'm trying to rebuild my life without sharing that part of my past. However, I still avoid many things to prevent setbacks. I seem overly cautious and people always ask why. Is there a simple way to explain my sensitivities without going into the full story, like when I'm at a nail salon, hair salon, or hiring a cleaner? The other day all I could come up with was, "It got sick during the shutdown and I don't know why..." Then people asked me a bunch of questions. It is nobody's business but I also need to get my point across that I have a condition that requires them to avoid what I am asking to avoid.

Edited by [Re...]

I would just say you're highly allergic to lots of things, even to epinephrine in case they wonder why you don't carry an epipen or something with you. There are lots of weird allergies out there so I don't think people would think much about it. I just read about a young man who is specifically allergic to any kind of exercize after eating, it can kill him and it increases as time goes on. It's just a genetic condition, nothing to do about it but be careful. So just pretend your "allergies" are something like that.

How are you doing Rebecca? I've been wondering how things are working out for you.

• Like 2

[Ma...]

Why explain anything in your life, especially to strangers? No response necessary.

Smile, and move on. It’s nobody’s business but your own.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[Pa...]
1 hour ago, [[P...] said:

Just say I have health issues. 

I've used this one, its a great catch all and most people won't ask further questions.  They'll either respect your privacy figuring you would have elaborated if you wanted to or they're relieved when you don't go into great detail.

• Like 3

[Re...]
14 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Why explain anything in your life, especially to strangers? No response necessary.

Smile, and move on. It’s nobody’s business but your own.

I hear you but, for example, meeting with the physical therapist and he wants to do a red light laser on me the answer is no. If every machine the answer is no people start to wonder who are your providers. I bring my own products now to any salon, not that I go often but if/when then I bring them. It is a bit of an odd behavior.

[Js...]
On 14/06/2024 at 22:08, [[R...] said:

@[...] I am really struggling every day. I am still so sick and need rest but I have been put in this situation of being thrown out and the rug being pulled out from underneath me financially. I have to start working ASAP and I really cannot do much at the moment. I am unhoused and paying to stay somewhere temporarily. Some people have helped me with logistics, for example, a sweet friend drove me to a location where I needed to go outside of the city I was living in. But nobody who I have a meaningful history with has offered me a place to stay temporarily or work and I am not an entitled person. I guess that is how the cookie crumbles in 2024. I am making new connections and they have been more helpful than the people who I know for years. At the end of the day my problem can be solved with money to buy some time. Disability is not an option, it would take too long. So I do not know how to answer this to be completely honest. It is a situation that feels totally surreal. I can't pay for physical therapy anymore, for example, and I need it desperately for pain.

I know this feeling all too well. 

A loved one once said, "take one step at a time." 

That is what I try to do. If I lose my temporary spot, well....I will try to find another. Yes, new connections can usually be better.

I try to be honest with myself and it helps, I am in a similar situation financially. 

I think your post was very honest <3

• I have X amount of time before my bank hits 0.
  • This person states I can stay here X amount of time, but in the back of my head I know very well its not guaranteed. 
  • If I do not find work soon - despite my withdrawals, then I will be sleeping in my car. Can I make my next car payment etc.

I know I can survive as long as I have my hands and feet - even if I look like a deer in headlights due to withdrawals. I remember walking to work. I remember not having anyone.

I use what I can remember to fight for tomorrow. 

Good Luck, Godspeed @[Re...]

[Re...]
18 hours ago, [[J...] said:

I know this feeling all too well. 

A loved one once said, "take one step at a time." 

That is what I try to do. If I lose my temporary spot, well....I will try to find another. Yes, new connections can usually be better.

I try to be honest with myself and it helps, I am in a similar situation financially. 

I think your post was very honest <3

• I have X amount of time before my bank hits 0.
  • This person states I can stay here X amount of time, but in the back of my head I know very well its not guaranteed. 
  • If I do not find work soon - despite my withdrawals, then I will be sleeping in my car. Can I make my next car payment etc.

I know I can survive as long as I have my hands and feet - even if I look like a deer in headlights due to withdrawals. I remember walking to work. I remember not having anyone.

I use what I can remember to fight for tomorrow. 

Good Luck, Godspeed @[Re...]

Somehow, I don't have anxiety like I once did. Maybe that brings someone hope on here. That anxiety was from the antidepressant I was on because I wouldn't even be able to function given what I am going through now. Yes, nothing is guaranteed when you are dealing with a lack of power and are at the will of another person. I never want to be in this position again.