A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

Prednisone

[He...]

Hey guys. I have been having diarrhea, severe nausea and flu symptoms for weeks. I am 14 weeks off Ativan. I have MCAS and my doctor and I have tried so many meds for it over the past year. He had me try super low dose prednisone yesterday to try and help with this months long flare. It seemed to go well until it didn’t today. I tanked my adrenals. Anyone have any insight/experience in recovering from 2mg of prednisone? TIA

Edited by [He...]

[Cr...]

There are some other members that had reactions to steroids. 

Corticosteroids are listed as one of many possible treatments for the effects of MCAS, so I assume your doctor has gone through quite a lot of other options already which forced you to resort to steroids.

Withdrawal and negative reactions from steroids can occur in anyone. Those tapering benzos or fresh in withdrawal will probably be more sensitive to side effects or more likely to have a negative reaction. I don't know too much about withdrawal process other than it could 'potentially' take a few weeks to subside. In your case it sounds like you only took 1 or 2 doses? If so it likely isn't withdrawal but a bad reaction. I am looking up info on prednisone reactions and most relate to withdrawal or side effects from use. You may want to ask your doctor about what to expect in regards to a typical timeline to recover from a reaction to very short-term prednisone use.

I hope some other members that may have experience with this med give some thoughts.

Edited by [Cr...]
  • Like 1