A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

Celine Dion was taking 90mg of Valium a day - recovered now

[Mi...]

[Mi...]

Not sure if anyone saw this but around minute 17 Celine starts discussing her time on a very high dose of Valium and then needing help to taper off of them.  Don’t know why but makes me feel better to know even a huge superstar like this struggled with benzos (and it seemed like she wasn’t properly informed about them before taking them).  Also inspirational that she overcame them.  Hope this encourages someone and makes them feel less alone.  

• Like 2

[or...]

Stevie Nicks was the first well-known person for me, and she went the hard way, imo, with Klonopin.  I don't know her whole story, but she went to rehab.  I'm going to watch the video, as I am curious how she was either weaned or cold-turkey'd.  I can't see Celine doing a slow-taper but it will be interesting to find out, as well as her wd sxs ;)

Thanks much, oregonlady :hug:PS Wow, 1 mg of Clonazepam is equivilant to 15 mg of Diazepam, so that's like 6 mg of C.

Edited by [or...]

[En...]

Here in Canada Jodan Peterson went through this as well but went to Russia to get treated. This happens way to often. 

• Like 1

[fa...]
2 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Not sure if anyone saw this but around minute 17 Celine starts discussing her time on a very high dose of Valium and then needing help to taper off of them.  Don’t know why but makes me feel better to know even a huge superstar like this struggled with benzos (and it seemed like she wasn’t properly informed about them before taking them).  Also inspirational that she overcame them.  Hope this encourages someone and makes them feel less alone.  

Is this why she has stiff person syndrome?

[Mi...]
Just now, [[f...] said:

Is this why she has stiff person syndrome?

No - she started taking Valium to help with stiff person syndrome but is now off of them 

[Pi...]

I love Celine.  Maybe she wasn’t taking it daily.  Maybe just when her condition flared up.  I’m curious.

[Bl...]

I agree that it somehow makes me feel better knowing that a star went through something like this. Many celebrities went through poly drug issues and recovered nicely,  which makes me think that a good support system and life style changes are huge parts of a successful recovery(which are the things that are more available and accessible to stars/wealthy people). 

Thanks for sharing.

[Mi...]
1 hour ago, [[P...] said:

I love Celine.  Maybe she wasn’t taking it daily.  Maybe just when her condition flared up.  I’m curious.

She would take it daily but quickly built up a tolerance and was taking a high dose Daily 

[Mi...]
3 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

She would take it daily but quickly built up a tolerance and was taking a high dose Daily 

She was taking it so she could relax her muscles and throat to be able to sing and perform 

[jo...]
3 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

She was taking it so she could relax her muscles and throat to be able to sing and perform 

What 90mg! Jesus.  I'm amazed she could talk let alone sing:ROFLMAO:

[Cr...]

Equivalent to 4.5 mg klonopin or 9 mg of Ativan. The doctors prescribing celebs probably know as much about the potential severe complications of benzo usage as those that work with the general populace. However, I wonder if they are far less likely to hesitate about raising doses or forcing them to come off. No one wants to be the withdrawal symptom doctor. Most want to be the doctor that gives relief to a celeb seeking it, benzos and updosing are effective at that to a point.

Edited by [Cr...]
  • Like 3

[Ia...]
16 hours ago, [[C...] said:

Equivalent to 4.5 mg klonopin or 9 mg of Ativan. The doctors prescribing celebs probably know as much about the potential severe complications of benzo usage as those that work with the general populace. However, I wonder if they are far less likely to hesitate about raising doses or forcing them to come off. No one wants to be the withdrawal symptom doctor. Most want to be the doctor that gives relief to a celeb seeking it, benzos and updosing are effective at that to a point.

That’s incorrect math that’s actually 15 mg of Ativan. I know I’m on 10 and I know my math.

honestly, they didn’t say if she tapered off of it and she was taking this two years ago? No way we should be off it by now and OK to perform. My guess is she still on it. 

Edited by [Ia...]

• 3 weeks later...

I disagree. I believe this is exactly why she has Stiff Person Syndrome. She started taking the benzos to combat spasms in her vocal cords. She still takes nasal Valium, as seen in the documentary, when she has a flare-up of her condition, but I believe the continued use of benzos is exacerbating this and making it worse. I do not believe she had anything other than vocal cord spasms prior to benzos. She is not recovered by any means. Also, 90 mg a day is not close to a fatal dose... I know someone who daily took 240 mg a day. It's wild how little is known about these drugs.

7 hours ago, [[h...] said:

I disagree. I believe this is exactly why she has Stiff Person Syndrome. She started taking the benzos to combat spasms in her vocal cords. She still takes nasal Valium, as seen in the documentary, when she has a flare-up of her condition, but I believe the continued use of benzos is exacerbating this and making it worse. I do not believe she had anything other than vocal cord spasms prior to benzos. She is not recovered by any means. Also, 90 mg a day is not close to a fatal dose... I know someone who daily took 240 mg a day. It's wild how little is known about these drugs.

That's what I was thinking too. Her issues weren't too severe UNTIL she started on benzos.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, [[i...] said:

Thank you for welcoming me! This is my second time registering here. I couldn't recover my original account (ideallifevision).

@[id...], welcome back then) Would you like to use your original account? If so, i could try to find out whether it's possible, although i'm not sure at all it is.

Oh, i see you've already asked about it.