A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

Burning feet

[An...]

Couple of days now started with tingling burning type pain in feet and redness even scratching causes red patches anybody else experienced this ?

Edited by [An...]

Yes, i experienced such burning in feet, especially in my 3-5th months of being benzo free. It usually felt at its worst at night. Oh... It was exactly a year ago.

[jo...]

Yeah I've had it from the start I think on the bottom of my feet. Tingling. It comes and goes and I think is reducing in intensity now.

[An...]
1 minute ago, [[j...] said:

Yeah I've had it from the start I think on the bottom of my feet. Tingling. It comes and goes and I think is reducing in intensity now.

[An...]

Sorry to hear that , but pleased to hear it has reduced in intensity.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

Thank you for reply. Has that sensation totally cleared now ?

I think, yes, but sometimes, not often, i feel smth of the kind but the intensity is much much less.

[Cr...]

A very common symptom Antonio. I even felt it in my hands as well. It is most common in the extremities (palms, soles, tips) but can also be felt in the legs and arms.

For me anxiety and burning skin often came together.

12 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

Sorry to hear it still sticking around but pleased to hear it is much less intense now.

Thank you::classic_smile: But, in fact, it's not of any discomfort when the sensation comes now I notice it only if i think about it. The worst part of the burning lasted for a couple of months last summer.

[An...]
7 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

A very common symptom Antonio. I even felt it in my hands as well. It is most common in the extremities (palms, soles, tips) but can also be felt in the legs and arms.

For me anxiety and burning skin often came together.

Thank you for reply Crono, coincidentally I read something earlier regarding anxiety and burning sensations and by the way my anxiety is through the roof at the moment 

[Cr...]
13 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

Thank you for reply Crono, coincidentally I read something earlier regarding anxiety and burning sensations and by the way my anxiety is through the roof at the moment 

No problem Antonio. Don't let the burning sensations cause you fear as they are just symptoms of a sensitized nervous system and cannot bring you harm. When you get those sensations, just acknowledge their presense as a nuisance and try your best not to get anxious over them.. as that causes more anxiety which causes more burning sensations, etc.. 

For me there really was no way to treat them. I found not wearing socks and having a fan blowing on my legs helped a little, but that is mainly because the air hitting my feet caused other distracting sensations that pulled my attention away from the burning.

Edited by [Cr...]

[An...]
1 minute ago, [[C...] said:

No problem Antonio. Don't let the burning sensations cause you fear as they are just symptoms of a sensitized nervous system and cannot bring you harm. When you get those sensations, just acknowledge their presense as a nuisance and try your best not to get anxious over them.. as that causes more anxiety which causes more burning sensations, etc.. 

For me there really was no way to treat them. I found not wearing socks and having a fan blowing on my legs helped a little, but that os mainly because the air hitting my feet caused its own feelings that pulled my attention away from the burning.

Thank you Crono , really appreciate your advice and your explanation on how you managed to distract from it a little.

[ro...]

I had burning sensations in my arms. but these sensations went away. It seems burning sensations are a common symptom when tapering off Benzo's. Right now I have burning sensations in my mouth lips and throat. I use sore throat lozenges with menthol or I chew on sugarless gum. Have you tried icepacks Sometimes applying cold stops the burning. I get burning sensations in my eyes also but if I apply a cold wet washcloth to my eyes. As Crono said they are just symptoms they will probably go away, the burning in my arms went away

[An...]

Thank you for reply. The skin on my feet has gone hypersensitive and even rubbing the skin will cause red marks and they constantly feel as though they have been burned somehow, cold water seems to reduce the intensity it for a few mins but then it comes right back again. Sorry to hear the horrible experience that you are having right now but pleased to hear your burning arms went away and no doubt in time the other burning sensations will clear. 
When you had burning arms , was there any reddening of the skin ?

[Ru...]

I've struggled with neuropathy in my feet for a few years, but it was always that my toes were tingling or numb. After chemotherapy it became much more intense (3 years ago). Never had I had the burning sensation until I started tapering. They have been pretty bad. I'm on the last of my taper and it seems it's getting worse. My skin also becomes red or even purple and my feet are cold often. Someone else mentioned in another thread that they had a finger that goes cold. I've a pinky finger that becomes cold as ice and sometimes numb. All of this is quite bothersome, but especially the feet. 

My ortho ordered an X-ray for me just to make sure there isn't something else going on, given my extensive medical history.

I hope things get better for you soon!

[An...]
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, [[R...] said:

I've struggled with neuropathy in my feet for a few years, but it was always that my toes were tingling or numb. After chemotherapy it became much more intense (3 years ago). Never had I had the burning sensation until I started tapering. They have been pretty bad. I'm on the last of my taper and it seems it's getting worse. My skin also becomes red or even purple and my feet are cold often. Someone else mentioned in another thread that they had a finger that goes cold. I've a pinky finger that becomes cold as ice and sometimes numb. All of this is quite bothersome, but especially the feet. 

My ortho ordered an X-ray for me just to make sure there isn't something else going on, given my extensive medical history.

I hope things get better for you soon!

Thank you for reply Rubi , very sorry to hear what you have been through , and really wishing that X ray is all clear. 

So far you are the only person that has mentioned the reddening or even purple at times , it’s crazy because all I have to do is rub my feet and nearly instantly it turns into another red mark and adds to the burning sensation ! Btw four of my fingers feel very dry and touch sensation is diminished, actually feels like the four fingers are coated in 50 layers of super glue !

Wishing you well and thank you again my friend.

Edited by [An...]
  • Like 1

[sh...]
14 hours ago, [[A...] said:

Couple of days now started with tingling burning type pain in feet and redness even scratching causes red patches anybody else experienced this ?

I am sorry you are suffering from these awful symptoms! I can very much relate. It is common and is also a sign of healing…. I have it mainly on my arms and hands. It does go for a while only to come back. One day it will go completely.. but when!? we just don’t know. 

• Skin problems – dry, itchy, rashes, slow healing, tickling, burning

by Dr Jennifer Leigh

Hope you are going to find relief soon! 🍀

• Like 1

[Ro...]

Hi newbye here. I had burning in feet and hands. Its neuropathy. But for me it comes when i take the klonopin. They gave me pregabalin but it doesnt seems to help much. When i was off the benzo for 6 months it was completely gone. Had to reinstate for other reasons and planning a tapper via sublingual route because of liver issues.

It happens mostly in bed but im currently suffering them again. Sometimes worse and sometimes not so bad.

I hope you heal soon.

[Co...]

Hello @[Ro...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies. Thank you for jumping in with your experiences and providing to support.

If you need some specific feedback with your situation, please do start a topic.

[An...]
8 hours ago, [[s...] said:

I am sorry you are suffering from these awful symptoms! I can very much relate. It is common and is also a sign of healing…. I have it mainly on my arms and hands. It does go for a while only to come back. One day it will go completely.. but when!? we just don’t know. 

• Skin problems – dry, itchy, rashes, slow healing, tickling, burning

by Dr Jennifer Leigh

Hope you are going to find relief soon! 🍀

Thank you for reply. Sorry to hear you also have experience this problem and thank you for the advice.

[An...]
1 hour ago, [[R...] said:

Hi newbye here. I had burning in feet and hands. Its neuropathy. But for me it comes when i take the klonopin. They gave me pregabalin but it doesnt seems to help much. When i was off the benzo for 6 months it was completely gone. Had to reinstate for other reasons and planning a tapper via sublingual route because of liver issues.

It happens mostly in bed but im currently suffering them again. Sometimes worse and sometimes not so bad.

I hope you heal soon.

Thank you for reply. Sorry to hear that you also have experienced the burning sensations and also sorry to hear about your liver issues.

Wishing you well soon.

[st...]

Hi, I understand what you're going through. It's hard but you'll get through it. For about 2 years I had the sensation of burning, tingling and sharp pins and needles in my toes, feet and later legs up to my knees. While having this neuralgic pain, the affected parts of my body felt cold. Warming these areas was soothing and often alleviated the pain.

What I learned is that these sensations were caused on a psychological level by me wanting to separate myself from the arduous process of tapering and withdrawing from the drugs. On the physical level the pain was related to the periosteum that covers the outer surface of all bones , in particular the periosteal nerves.

I noticed the burning was also accompanied by me experiencing a short-term memory loss. This terrible pain went away 8 months after the taper was finished and never returned.

Edited by [st...]