Important Survey - Please Participate ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

Steroids setback

[je...]

Hi @[Th...]. Maybe it will help if you give a bit of context and explain your situation. Are you tapering? Are you off? How long ago did you take the steroid? For which condition was the steroid prescribed?

[Th...]

I been off benzo for 3 years In January my cortisol went to a low level doctors diagnosed me with secondary adrenal insufficiency put me on hydrocortisone 20 mg a day two months later they test my cortisol again and it was normal. The doctor called took me off of the hydrocortisone, so it wouldn’t affect my adrenal glands so I think I know I’m in setback I believe from that and I’m having symptoms, I’ve been off the steroid for two months and just praying that I heal 

[Cr...]

According to WebMD, steroid withdrawal psychological symptoms can last from 2 to 8 weeks, while other sites say it could take several months. This was just for Prednisone. This can happen even for people that have never touched a benzo in their lives.

It is possible this has nothing to do with your benzo withdrawal and you are just sensitive to a long use of steroids. If benzo withdrawal itself made the changes that led to your reaction to the steroids you should still recover and probably a lot faster than your benzo withdrawal took.

Edited by [Cr...]

[Th...]

Thank you for rent Doctor cold turkey me off the hydrocortisone I have been off for 2 months I am having symptoms like benzo withdrawal but the fatigue is worse I pray I heal 

• Like 1

[Fi...]

You will heal from this setback. 

I have recovered from my setback and it was a severe one. I had surgery after being off benzos for 15 months. 

The anesthesia had a steroid in it and caused symptoms worse than my original benzo withdrawal. I ended up taking Mirtazapine for the horrific insomnia and I'm now off that too. 

Your nervous system is healing every day just like during withdrawal. I know it feels terrible but it will lift. It has for many people who has setbacks. 

Final healing 

• Like 3

[Th...]

I am so afraid I was given it for 2 months because of low cortisol i am able to drive waking anxious and nervous I have heaviness in my body and bad fatigue and breathlessness what were your symptoms please 

[Th...]

Did you have heaviness in your body and exhaustion from fatigue 

[Cr...]

Hi Third An, it may be awhile before @[Fi...] revisits again going by recent posting history.

Here is a link to an old thread on this site where other members with medication setbacks posted their experiences and symptoms.

[Fi...]
4 hours ago, [[T...] said:

Did you have heaviness in your body and exhaustion from fatigue 

Yes, I was exhausted. 

My symptoms were primarily mental. I was depressed, had insomnia, anhedonia, insomnia, uncontrollable crying, and agoraphobia.

Some people feel intense mental symptoms and some more physical. All normal in a setback. 

It feels so scary but you will recover.

Final healing 

• Like 2

[Fi...]

My setback lasted 6.5 months. 

Other people have a setback for a few weeks and others for 18 months.

The first 3 months I had all the symptoms. Then the symptoms started dropping off one by one. The last symptom, anhedonia, was the last to go.  

I am now completely healed. 

[Th...]
On 14/06/2024 at 17:33, [[F...] said:

Yes, I was exhausted. 

My symptoms were primarily mental. I was depressed, had insomnia, anhedonia, insomnia, uncontrollable crying, and agoraphobia.

Some people feel intense mental symptoms and some more physical. All normal in a setback. 

It feels so scary but you will recover.

Final healing 

How long have you been healed and I have our hunger muscle weakness, exhausting fatigue, heaviness in my body depression I guess I’m not maybe it’s Adonia like I say that hunger or and I’ve only been off of the steroids 2 1/2 months now