A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

Watching one TV show or movie during withdrawal

[En...]
Posted (edited)

When I am in deep withdrawal I can only stand watching one TV show. I cant watch other shows or I will get anxiety. This is very weird to me.

Anyone else get this?

Edited by [En...]
  • Like 5

[kn...]

You’re  lucky. I can’t watch TV at all. The news was the first thing that got to me and then it seemed like all the noise and confusion just came shooting at me and I was overcome by the whole thing. I found that I couldn’t tell the commercials from the shows.  Everything was too much , so I just gave it up. I sit in another room and read while my watches in the evenings. At least with books, it seems like I have more control over what I put into my mind. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

[Cr...]
6 hours ago, [[E...] said:

When I am in deep withdrawal I can only stand watching one TV show. I cant watch other shows or I will get anxiety. This is very weird to me.

Anyone else get this?

Yes! I literally had Family Guy dvds playing in the background and when going to sleep. And it couldn't be new seasons. It had to be old seasons that I had memorized word for word.

I think part of it is we want visual and auditory protection from anything that could surprise us or affect our emotions. When you know what to expect, that provides the comfort of familiarity.

Watching a new episode or a new show involves an emotional investment and extra brain power to follow the story and I just didn't have that. Watching familiar shows allows you to still watch it without paying 100% attention because you know what happens.

• Like 3

[En...]
3 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

Yes! I literally had Family Guy dvds playing in the background and when going to sleep. And it couldn't be new seasons. It had to be old seasons that I had memorized word for word.

I think part of it is we want visual and auditory protection from anything that could surprise us or affect our emotions. When you know what to expect, that provides the comfort of familiarity.

Watching a new episode or a new show involves an emotional investment and extra brain power to follow the story and I just didn't have that. Watching familiar shows allows you to still watch it without paying 100% attention because you know what happens.

It gets annoying after awhile I know the show by heart. I binge watched Big Bang Theory for the first 4 months even when I slept. I am sick of that show now. 

I can just now start to watch other shows. 

• Like 1

[Cr...]
6 minutes ago, [[E...] said:

It gets annoying after awhile I know the show by heart. I binge watched Big Bang Theory for the first 4 months even when I slept. I am sick of that show now. 

I can just now start to watch other shows. 

Hopefully when you recover, hearing Big Bang Theory theme song doesn't induce PTSD flashbacks :o

If dvd you could have turnes the audio or subtitles to another language for a change of pace.

[jo...]

Yep, I had this bad at for about the first 3 months. I couldn't stay on 1 youtube video for more than 3 seconds at one point so I was just clicking through video to video for what felt like hours.

I don't think it was even so much a sensory sensitivity thing (maybe partly) It was more like every time I saw an image of a person, or they said something, or whatever, my brain would really quickly link it to something uncomfortable from my life and it would bother me. Like an intrusive thought almost.

It was horrible. Same with music. I'm glad It's improved and I can watch a lot more now, and even listen to music sometimes.

• Like 4

[En...]
3 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

Hopefully when you recover, hearing Big Bang Theory theme song doesn't induce PTSD flashbacks :o

If dvd you could have turnes the audio or subtitles to another language for a change of pace.

I had to have the volume low too. My wife would ask me how I could hear. I guess that was a sensory thing. 

[jo...]

even flicking trough a newspaper bothered me. Just imagery

[En...]
2 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

Yep, I had this bad at for about the first 3 months. I couldn't stay on 1 youtube video for more than 3 seconds at one point so I was just clicking through video to video for what felt like hours.

I don't think it was even so much a sensory sensitivity thing (maybe partly) It was more like every time I saw an image of a person, or they said something, or whatever, my brain would really quickly link it to something uncomfortable from my life and it would bother me. Like an intrusive thought almost.

It was horrible. Same with music. I'm glad It's improved and I can watch a lot more now, and even listen to music sometimes.

Yes it does improve. It is annoying and concerning when it is happening. 

• Like 1

[En...]
Just now, [[j...] said:

even flicking trough a newspaper bothered me. Just imagery

I read a symptom is not being able to watch the news.

[jo...]
Just now, [[E...] said:

I couldnt watch anything at all. Everything just seemed horrible. It was that bad. 

[jo...]
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, [[j...] said:

I couldnt watch anything at all. Everything just seemed horrible. It was that bad. 

Couldn't look at photos of me, family, friends. Just all really bothered me.

Edited by [jo...]
  • Sad 1

[Cr...]
1 hour ago, [[E...] said:

I feel like that is a feeling for everyone in today's world

• Like 1

[be...]
1 hour ago, [[j...] said:

yes. exactly. when i saw an image, it linked it to something very depressive and sad in my life like my failures, breakups, someone's death, people i miss and bad memories.

at least u didnt have electricity whenu saw those, right? my brain gets tazored when i do.

• Like 1

[Hu...]
Posted (edited)

As a teen I played a lot of videogames. Shooters, lots of violence. Fast pacing games with strategy
For ppl that want to know some titles: Resident evil, unreal tournament, Mario kart, age of empires etc.

I still would like to play games, but I just can't. Too much stimulation. I also like slower movies without violence. And for music: I always listened to metal, that was my happymusic. Now it's ballads and country. Obviously the more sad songs due to depression.

BBT is really a high energy production. With all the punchlines, fake clapping, nervous characters. The pacing of shows already is so drastically faster than 30, 40 years ago. People in general are not made for this flashy world. 

Edited by [Hu...]
  • Like 1

[jo...]
18 minutes ago, [[b...] said:

yes. exactly. when i saw an image, it linked it to something very depressive and sad in my life like my failures, breakups, someone's death, people i miss and bad memories.

at least u didnt have electricity whenu saw those, right? my brain gets tazored when i do.

No I have managed to avoid the electricity so far thank god.

[be...]
8 hours ago, [[E...] said:

Anyone else get this?

2 hours ago, [[k...] said:

You’re  lucky. I can’t watch TV at all. The news was the first thing that got to me and then it seemed like all the noise and confusion just came shooting at me and I was overcome by the whole thing. I found that I couldn’t tell the commercials from the shows.  Everything was too much , so I just gave it up. I sit in another room and read while my watches in the evenings. At least with books, it seems like I have more control over what I put into my mind. 

i get horrible electric jolts when i watch tv for a few minutes.

when u guys said  u can't watch it, what does it mean by then?

can u just not watch it emotionally? or do your brains get electeicuted or something like mine does?

[be...]
21 minutes ago, [[H...] said:

As a teen I played a lot of videogames. Shooters, lots of violence. Fast pacing games with strategy
For ppl that want to know some titles: Resident evil, unreal tournament, Mario kart, age of empires etc.

I still would like to play games, but I just can't. Too much stimulation. I also like slower movies without violence. And for music: I always listened to metal, that was my happymusic. Now it's ballads and country. Obviously the more sad songs due to depression.

BBT is really a high energy production. With all the punchlines, fake clapping, nervous characters. The pacing of shows already is so drastically faster than 30, 40 years ago. People in general are not made for this flashy world. 

i totally understand it. when u said you can't play video games and get too much stimulation, what does it mean?

can u just not handle it emotionally and get stressed out?

or do u get electric jolts or nearves phisically get jolted like mine does?

[jo...]
1 minute ago, [[b...] said:

i get horrible electric jolts when i watch tv for a few minutes.

when u guys said  u can't watch it, what does it mean by then?

can u just not watch it emotionally? or do your brains get electeicuted or something like mine does?

Yeah it's like an emotional agitation it's weird. It can be really disturbing though it's hard to explain. Just like an extream sensetivity.

• Like 1

[jo...]
Just now, [[j...] said:

Yeah it's like an emotional agitation it's weird. It can be really disturbing though it's hard to explain. Just like an extream sensetivity.

No electric jolts although I have heard that before.

[Hu...]
1 minute ago, [[b...] said:

i totally understand it. when u said you can't play video games and get too much stimulation, what does it mean?

can u just not handle it emotionally and get stressed out?

or do u get electric jolts or nearves phisically get jolted like mine does?

No electric jolts. Just too stimulating. Anxiety inducing visuals. And apart from that I think age also plays a role. Todays games look fantastic, but if I ever go back to gaming it will be the 90's/00's games.

• Like 3

[jo...]
2 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

No electric jolts although I have heard that before.

it did used to hurt my eyes though. kind of create this weird uncomfortable preasure that I could feel especially when my eyes moved.

[be...]
Posted (edited)
Just now, [[j...] said:

it did used to hurt my eyes though. kind of create this weird uncomfortable preasure that I could feel especially when my eyes moved.

can i know when it happened and how long it lasted for?

Edited by [be...]

[jo...]
1 minute ago, [[H...] said:

No electric jolts. Just too stimulating. Anxiety inducing visuals. And apart from that I think age also plays a role. Todays games look fantastic, but if I ever go back to gaming it will be the 90's/00's games.

I play the first mario (NES) I can handle that one!:LOL:

[jo...]
Just now, [[b...] said:

can i know when it happened and how long it lasted for?

I still have it now a little but has got a lot better. First 3 months off it was bad. I'm in my fifth month.