A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

Prescribed Mirtazapine

[jo...]
Posted (edited)

I finally contacted a doctor today. I haven't so far because I hoped I might be better by now and they would probably gaslight me anyway. I was right, the gave me the return of old symptoms talk and prescribed me mirtazapine. I'm worried about taking it, side effects etc.

Does anyone who has taken it have any thoughts or advice? does it help you with sleep and moods etc. They prescribed 15mg to be taken at night. I'm also worried about start up effects.

Many Thanks.

Edited by [jo...]
  • Angry 1

[Le...]
Posted (edited)

sedated me a few days a bit then my extremities all started going cold and numb.  at a week i was frantic and the numbness wasnt gone until over a month later. electric shock feelings everytime I tried to sleep. most of the other things could have been something else so i wont mention. 

Edited by [Le...]
  • Like 1

Yes, for me personally, mirtazapine was really helpful but sure it didn't cover all symptoms, just about 30%. There were some side effects in the beginning, although i felt its good effect from the first crumb. 

• Like 1

[jo...]

Hi Kate. What symptoms did it help with a little?

[jo...]
6 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

sedated me a few days a bit then my extremities all started going cold and numb.  at a week i was frantic and the numbness wasnt gone until over a month later. electric shock feelings everytime I tried to sleep. most of the other things could have been something else so i wont mention. 

Jesus that sounds pretty bad!

[Ma...]

The lower the dose the much more sedating it is, but many have found it very helpful with limited side effects.

• Like 2

[jo...]
Just now, [[M...] said:

The lower the dose the much more sedating it is, but many have found it very helpful with limited side effects.

Hi Mary, Should I go lower than 15mg do you think

[jo...]
20 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

I finally contacted a doctor today. I haven't so far because I hoped I might be better by now and they would probably gaslight me anyway. I was right, the gave me the return of old symptoms talk and prescribed me mitrazapine. I'm worried about taking it, side effects etc.

Does anyone who has taken it have any thoughts or advice? does it help you with sleep and moods etc. They prescribed 15mg to be taken at night. I'm also worried about start up effects.

Many Thanks.

Hi Eng. I'm not sure if I'm gonna take it they just kind of gave it to me. still not sure.

[jo...]

I've heard about people working their way up from a very low dose when starting AD's especially with SSRI's. Anyone have any experience of this?

[Le...]
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

Jesus that sounds pretty bad!

not the end of the world if i wasnt in the state i was. added to what i was already dealing with it was a lot. my body was very unhealthy at the time. you may react differently especially if in better health. 

Edited by [Le...]
  • Like 1

[Cr...]
1 hour ago, [[j...] said:

Hi Mary, Should I go lower than 15mg do you think

For many people 7.5 mg is more sedating than 15 mg. If your goal is mainly just to get extra sleep with minimal side effects and dependence then 7.5 is probably best. 

If you are more interested in using mirtazapine for anxiety and depression then 15 mg or higher may be required. Mirtazapine has a reputation for being hard to come off of, but not to the same degree as benzos.

[Cr...]
1 hour ago, [[j...] said:

I've heard about people working their way up from a very low dose when starting AD's especially with SSRI's. Anyone have any experience of this?

Mirtazapine is a tetracyclic antidepressant, not an ssri. It is sometimes prescribed along with an ssri.

I personally am not familiar with how bad the startup effects of mirt are if one should start really slowly. From what i have witnessed from my father and other members, mirt is easier to start up than an ssri, but harder to stop than an ssri.

• Like 1

[jo...]
1 minute ago, [[C...] said:

Mirtazapine is a tetracyclic antidepressant, not an ssri. It is sometimes prescribed along with an ssri.

I personally am not familiar with how bad the startup effects of mirt are if one should start really slowly. From what i have witnessed from my father and other members, mirt is easier to start up than an ssri, but harder to stop than an ssri.

Hi crono, so do you think I should taper up if I decide to go ahead or is the dose small enough to just start taking?

[Cr...]
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

Hi crono, so do you think I should taper up if I decide to go ahead or is the dose small enough to just start taking?

Everyone reacts differently. What is your goal with this med? Sleep or dealing with depression and anxiety?

If the latter then you will most likely have to be on 15 mgs like your doctor prescribed. Even with that being your goal, since it is your body you can choose to start up at 7.5 mg for a week and if all is well go to 15 mg the following week. Or you could just stay at 7.5 mg if that brings you enough relief.

Edited by [Cr...]

[jo...]

Everyone reacts differently. What is your goal with this med? Sleep or dealing with depression and anxiety?

If the latter then you will most likely have to be on 15 mgs lile your doctor prescribed. Even with that being your goal, since it is your body you can choose to start up at 7.5 mg for a week and if all is well go to 15 mg the following week. Or you could just stay at 7.5 mg if that brings you enough relief.

Thanks! Still not sure if I'm going to but I have them anyway.

[Cr...]

A heads up. A common side effect of this med is a huge appetite, particularly for carbs. Which if you haven't been eating may be a benefit.

[jo...]

A heads up. A common side effect of this med is a huge appetite, particularly for carbs. Which if you haven't been eating may be a benefit.

I'd love to eat lots of carbs but I've always been warned against it. I do eat some but not a lot lately.

[Le...]

you should also check out sites that are similar to this one for people who have difficulty getting away from antidepressants. it is a similar story. think of who you were before benzos and if that person would have needed drugs. your goal is to get back there. i dont know you but there are lots here who just fell into another problem and cant admit their mistake. you know you. you are in a vulnerable spot so take your time. 

• Like 2

[Ja...]

Johnwill if you’ve got time on your hands to heal and really need a break,mitrazapine could possibly help you bud

im only saying that as the sedating affect lasts through the day and you feel very foggy with it,.it’s very easy to nap in the day to

on a good note if you need a break,.mirtrazapine could really help,.the onset at night is quite fast and you feel the sadating affect,it knocks you out when your ready to shut your eyes 

you do get the munchies like cannabis munchies on them lol

• Like 2

[jo...]

Thanks for the replies. Do you think it slows down the healing process.

[jo...]

Oh. And can it be used sporadically with effect? To avoid dependance. Thanks.

[Cr...]
1 minute ago, [[j...] said:

Oh. And can it be used sporadically with effect? To avoid dependance. Thanks.

Several people use mirt only a couple times a week to avoid dependence.  That is fine for sleep or appetite stimulation. However, using sporadically will probably not aid with anxiety symptoms as most ADs need to be taken daily and consistently for that.

If you decide to only take small amounts (3.75 or 7.5 mgs) occasionally to get good sleep, that alone may decrease your anxiety anyway because being sleep-deprived can cause anxiety and agitation.

[jo...]

Several people use mirt only a couple times a week to avoid dependence.  That is fine for sleep or appetite stimulation. However, using sporadically will probably not aid with anxiety symptoms as most ADs need to be taken daily and consistently for that.

If you decide to only take small amounts (3.75 or 7.5 mgs) occasionally to get good sleep, that alone may decrease your anxiety anyway because being sleep-deprived can cause anxiety and agitation.

Thanks crono. I think my anxiety the other day was caused by less than an hours sleep. There's a conection to the severity of other symptoms with lack of sleep I think. I will see how things go and mabey try it sporadically.

[jo...]
30 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

Johnwill if you’ve got time on your hands to heal and really need a break,mitrazapine could possibly help you bud

im only saying that as the sedating affect lasts through the day and you feel very foggy with it,.it’s very easy to nap in the day to

on a good note if you need a break,.mirtrazapine could really help,.the onset at night is quite fast and you feel the sadating affect,it knocks you out when your ready to shut your eyes 

you do get the munchies like cannabis munchies on them lol

Hi Jay, So the sedating effect lasts trough the next day if taken at night?

[Cr...]

Sounds good jonwil :thumbsup: if you can get use out of this med without needing to become dependent on it that will be great for you further down the line.

So tonight just before bed you may want to try 3.75 mg since it is a small dose and you may be unsure how it will make you feel.

• Like 1