Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Our Concerns: The Witt-Doerring Youtube Channel

[Co...]

[Co...]
10 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

It is a devastating message indeed! Mental illnesses do exist in the same way as diabetes or asthma or other conditions. And nobody dares to tell people that their pancreas not working properly is a ‘YOU problem’. We arevery reluctant to consider that our brain is an organ that can fail as well as the rest of our organs. This is one of the reasons why mental illnesses have always been so underrated and mentally ill people so poorly understood. I am not saying that drugs are the only solution, specially benzos, which I really believe should not be prescribed long term in the majority of cases.

I totally agree, @[Ma...].

• Like 1

[Le...]
4 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

The very first thing someone needs in heightened mental distress is reassurance than they will be OK. Then they need actual help. If they already feel that they are beyond fixing (which is common with depression) and they are instead told by the doctor that only they can fix themselves, that's a devastating message.

yes a difficult message and their will be much better ways to get that through to someone actually in distress. that isnt the video. The video isnt real therapy it is presenting the flaws in the current understanding of mental health practices and is very enlightened. 

• Love 1

[Ma...]
5 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

They do exist. good ways to treat 99% of them dont. I have seen too many people live glassy eyed half lives. it is horrifying. 

Of course good ways to treating them don’t exist. It would be great if a single substance missing was the cause of a particular mental illness and so,  this substance could be taken to get cured as it happens with insuline. And benzos are not a good way at all because of their tolerance.

[re...]

I feel there has become a more matriarchal motherly attitude of when you fall of "it's ok johnny/jill it's not your fault and I am gonna shelter you from the world"

Then a patriarchal fatherly attitude of "try and get up johnny/jill there is a great life waiting out there for you"

I think both are needed and I don't pick one way or another. The yin and yang baby.

But the "pick you up by your bootstraps" needs to a be a BIT implemented sometimes.

Otherwise we are eternal victims who will NEVER get better. 

[Co...]
15 minutes ago, [[r...] said:

Lee 1978:

OMG 5 stars AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is easier to tell yourself as an Alcoholic you have a 'disease' instead putting that damn bottle down and stop abusing your family!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This way of thinking negates every poor cancer patient in a hospital right now. 

We have medicalized the human condition and this is a VERY VERY dangerous path we have gone down. 

You know, it should not be battle against psychiatry, come what may. This should not be akin to cheering on your (antipsychiatry) team. This is medicine and brain dysfunction. The first is inexact by its nature; the second remains poorly understood. But I'll take what science exists and best guesses by trained experts over the whooping crowd cheering on their team.

This is not football.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

[Co...]
9 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

yes a difficult message and their will be much better ways to get that through to someone actually in distress. that isnt the video. The video isnt real therapy it is presenting the flaws in the current understanding of mental health practices and is very enlightened. 

That's the video Josef Witt-Doerring decided to write, record, produce, and upload to Youtube. He could have chosen to upload something else. He didn't - he chose that.

[Le...]
Just now, [[M...] said:

Of course good ways to treating them don’t exist. It would be great if a single substance missing was the cause of a particular mental illness and so,  this substance could be taken to get cured as it happens with insuline. And benzos are not a good way at all because of their tolerance.

and the things replacing benzos arent either. it is the same mistake made over an over starting with lobotomies then benzos then ssris. I am overly passionate about the topic and it isnt helpful here. someone could present my ideas more moderately and get a better response.  

• Love 2

[Co...]
3 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

Brains are complicated and poorly understood. That's the reality with which doctors, scientists and all of us must deal.

• Like 1

[Le...]

You know, it should not be battle against psychiatry, some what may. This should not be akin to cheering on our (antipsychiatry) team. This is medicine and brain dysfunction. The first is inexact by its nature; the second remains poorly understood. But I'll take what science exists and best guesses are trained experts over the whooping crowd cheering on their team.

This is not football.

there are no trained experts. that is the point of all this. so many people do not question enough because ideas are presented to them by supposed authority figures. question your faith. 

[Co...]
6 minutes ago, [[r...] said:

I feel there has become a more matriarchal motherly attitude of when you fall of "it's ok johnny/jill it's not your fault and I am gonna shelter you from the world"

Then a patriarchal fatherly attitude of "try and get up johnny/jill there is a great life waiting out there for you"

I think both are needed and I don't pick one way or another. The yin and yang baby.

But the "pick you up by your bootstraps" needs to a be a BIT implemented sometimes.

Otherwise we are eternal victims who will NEVER get better. 

Enough, @[re...]. Again, this is not a football match/game. You are demonstrating a severe lack of empathy and understanding. I will not approve further similar messages.

• Like 1

[Le...]

That's the video Josef Witt_Doerring decided to write, record, produce, and upload to Youtube. He could have chosen to upload something else. He didn't - he chose that.

for the specific effect and message contained in it. not as a therapy session. 

[Co...]
2 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

And who are the viewers?

[WU...]
6 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

trained experts

But they don't even agree among themselves. Just a personal example but my trained expert GP disagreed with the trained expert consultants over my neck pain. One saying its structural, the other saying nonsense its muscular, one from Harley Street no less, told me my neck was too long and had an extra vertebrae!  All highly trained experts!

[Co...]
4 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

2 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

And who are the viewers?

Just to add, given the message in his video, I have to ask, what are his therapy sessions like?

[Le...]

And who are the viewers?

people interested in finding good care and people concerned with the mental health industry. hopefully he will lead them somewhere productive. 

[Le...]

Just to add, given the message in his video, I have to ask, what are his therapy sessions like?

I am very interested in that also if someone can answer. 

I have little faith in therapy either but am very interested in him. 

[Co...]
2 minutes ago, [[W...] said:

But they don't even agree among themselves. Just a personal example but my trained expert GP disagreed with the trained expert consultants over my neck pain. One saying its structural, the other saying nonsense its muscular, one from Harley Street no less, told me my neck was too long and had an extra vertebrae!  All highly trained experts!

I'll normally take the best guess of an expert over the certainty of someone with no knowledge on the subject.

• Haha 1

[Le...]
Posted (edited)
Just now, [[C...] said:

I'll normally take the best guess of an expert over the certainty of someone with no knowledge on the subject.

and in 1500 years when there is an expert I will too. it will likely be a computer because our brains arent big enough. 

Edited by [Le...]

[Co...]

I'd like to hear from other members. This is going nowhere. This is a discussion about the content of JWD's Youtube videos.

• Haha 1

[Le...]

sounds good. i am leaving this and hope you dont influence too many people that josef cant fix. best of luck. 

[WU...]
1 minute ago, [[C...] said:

Yes but which expert when they all diagnose something different with different suggestions about medication? I was offered a whole host of strong prescription painkillers and benzos.   When we are suffering it is very difficult to know who to trust.  

• Love 1

[or...]
Posted (edited)

Yes, I don't go along with the extremists, and placing the blame all on others while taking none of the blame themselves.  I was taught there are always two sides, and it's up to each individual to determine which is right for them.

I guess it's a thread like this that can bring out the "best" in us, or the "worst".  Some are, and I'm grateful for, those that are able to see both sides of the coin.

There was a time in my life when the benzos effected me so negatively, I turned into what felt like a fragile creature.  I was begging for help, but didn't know what I needed so wasn't even capable of finding it.  I found my self in a dangerous place, actually 3 times, or more,  I can think of off-hand.

Maybe I'm supposed to remember that, and think of others like myself that are desperate for help, and find something that is extremely bad for them but they are sucked into it out of desperation.  There are those that will feed on that desperation of others, for their own profit. 

Mostly on BB, people just show up to help another person here, but yes, I for one understand helping others with my experience, strength and hope (taken form AA, some will recognize) is the best "medicine" of all, oregonlady :classic_love: PS Helping others is to look into "questionable" content and just putting up a warning sign, thanks Colin

Edited by [or...]

[Co...]
3 minutes ago, [[W...] said:

Yes but which expert when they all diagnose something different with different suggestions about medication? I was offered a whole host of strong prescription painkillers and benzos.   When we are suffering it is very difficult to know who to trust.  

I'd rather be in the position of having to decide between which doctor than witch doctor. ;)

You seek certainty in a world where there is none. Those offering certainty are usually grifters, or those with little knowledge on the subject.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

• Like 1

[Le...]
Just now, [[C...] said:

I'd rather be in the position of having to decide between which doctor than witch doctor. ;)

You seek certainty in a world where there is none. Those offering certainty are usually grifters, or those with little knowledge on the subject.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

when did you recognize this in yourself? epiphany here?   

• Like 1

[La...]

Ok I wasn’t going to say anything but just observe this thread BUT I have to agree with Colin and the admins on this forum. Let me please explain my main reason why….

We know that people taking psych drugs/ benzos/ zdrugs have a temporary decrease in cognitive skills ( but can be for quite some time). Therefore, having someone come across a channel of a “ professional benzo/ psych med wise doctor” telling them that they are their own problem and with some mental work can just quit their meds is BAT CHIT CRAZY! Some people need their mental medications to survive! So let’s say, somebody listens to Josef then just quit taking their meds…they will go into a mental crisis or possibly lose their life! If someone decides to taper off their meds, then that should be done in a certain fashion as well as the person needs to be professionally monitored. Yes there are people who have been medically done wrong with these drugs. I’m one of them! I had 3 close family members die within a very short timeframe and my sleep was affected. I was grieving for God’s sake..one of those people passed away was my mother! I wasn’t depressed or mentally disturbed. I should have been referred to a grief counselor as well as let time pass and advised to take something like Benadryl or chamomile tea to help me get to sleep. But instead, I was FALSELY told that my heart was in danger from lack of sleep and to take Ambien every night. I was told they were safe, non habit forming and can simply just be stopped at anytime without any ill effects. THAT WAS A HUGE LIE! Never warned about anything negative except I might sleepwalk a little until I get used to it. I trusted that my physician had my best interest in mind and knew what he was giving me. Every time about every 2 years, I’d mention stopping it and was talked out of it! As a result, my vestibular system was greatly injured rendering me bedridden for a long time, unable to walk/ sit up, take a bath, cook for my kid or even ride 2 minutes in a car to go to the store or to a doctor! I’m two weeks shy of 4 years and STILL can’t tolerate being in a car for longer than a couple of minutes. This put my entire life in a 4 walled room for years! Can’t walk, can’t go anywhere! I lost my marriage, my child and my quality of life as a human being. Gradually I’m getting my life back. Thank God! So, this subject of medical mistreatment is a SERIOUS problem! Everyone has opinions but looking at the overall problem…the opinion can cost someone their life! Do I believe Colin and staff here are in with the pharmacy companies or any such like…ABSOLUTELY NOT! Do I think they’re doing what’s best for BB…YES! Warn us and let us decide for ourselves. This forum has proven to be the reason so many people were successful in getting off their meds and now living healthy happy lives. There isn’t a person alive that can convince me that Colin has some ill type underhanded agenda in creating this thread…NOPE! He doesn’t! How would he benefit from doing that? BB please step back and look at what the staff on this forum is really saying. They’re simply giving a warning after consulting with not 1, not 2, not 3 but 4 well respected professionals who agreed! When is warning someone ever a bad thing? 

• Like 9
  • Love 1