Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Our Concerns: The Witt-Doerring Youtube Channel

[Co...]

[Le...]
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

And how do you these videos might affect someone who is seriously depressed, and seeking psychiatric help? I would suggest, it is not so funny for them.

hopefully make them realize their only hope is to find it in themselves to change themselves and their life and be motivated by that. 

Noone likes the hard way including me but I sure wish I had gotten that advice.  I hope these videos save more people from psychiatry. 

Edited by [Le...]
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

[ba...]
Posted (edited)

I actually suppport the choice to not alloew JWD videos. His guests and his own comments , imo, are focused on how devasting psych meds are. I already know that. I do not get  a benefit from horror stories. I also don't like his click bate approach.

I have found that several of the coaches, who are sometimes medically trained, sometimes not, offer reassurance. They normalize my experience, and that takes away a lot of fear. Additionally, they drop tidbits of information I did not know, which is interesting.

I dont look at these things every day, because I want balance in my life, I don't want to always be listening to benzo related podcasts.

I am linking one I listened to a few days ago. Medicating normal interviewed a psychatrist named Joanna Moncrieff, and her overall take was that medication has it's place in treating patients, but should be used cautiously. She also talked about the curent psych model of prescribing medication as the first option, and talked about how this approach does not help most patients.

She dropped a few information bombs I was not aware of, as well.

My youngest son has schizophrenia. He needs long term medication to function. And, Joanna alluded to this. Some patients do not stabilize out of psychiatric states, and  do benefit from long term medication.

She feels there is a place for medication, but not as athe first line of treatment, and not in the way it is prescribed currently.

Edited by [ba...]
  • Like 5

[re...]
Posted (edited)

Please forgive me if this post comes across as a personal attack and is assuming cause I don't know you from a hole in the ground and I can't stand the back and forth ego attacks and trying to prove one is right over another. And before I go on here OF COURSE there can be life saving treatments. Think of antibiotics. So many died before the advent of these simple meds. I am not anti medicine. I am PRO progress and when these big institutions become the ONLY way to do things and silence those trying other things and won't even CONTEMPLATE other treatments and trying to RCT it,  but smear them.................... then there is a problem to me. 

Colin I really respect you but you trust WAY too much in the old guard and big institutions who have anything BUT  the health of it's citizens at it's forefront. I feel you are naive. It is so obvious with a trillion dollar medicine industry and those that try to silence anyone critical of it. I am not saying you. I am saying these monster sized institutions. They really have an interest in fueling it's reach and profit margins over all else. And will start with 'disinfo' campaigns  over all who simply question their motives.

I hope someday you search for truth even though it may scare the hell out of you how we have all been conned by mainstream institutions and thinking they actually had our best interests at the core of what they believe. And especially the hell you went through with Klonopin and the gaslighting you experienced I am sure. It seems there is a form of "Stockholm Syndrome" here at BB now and it really upsets me. 

Like I said I can find tons of things that say that medical malpractice IS the third leading cause of death. I was almost one of these statistics. But you just won't listen and that is ok. 

The FDA does this same thing when ANY life saving treatment may be working for someone. Yet it is not 'clinical trialed' They will go in and BAN the doctor from practicing even though it may be helping their child. They won't even put the alternative treatment to the fire and see if in scientific studies it works because it takes away their cash cow. 

Billionaires will always silence truth for their bottom line. And I feel you are being obtuse with this. 

Unlike Witt Doerring or the Billionaires I have no stake either way. And only want to help people that I see keep coming through here over and over and over again harmed. It is hurting me beyond measure and my heart aches. And as a casual observer I see great injustices being done from the people we are supposed to put our trust in and have been told since youth. that this system in place is benevolent and conducive to healthy growth. And what I have seen from my years on this planet that it is anything but. 

Edited by [re...]
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

[Co...]
8 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

I really do not care for how any of the content is presented. I agree with you. (I expect the BB admins probably agree with you too.) But this would not rise to anywhere near the level where we felt we need to address it with members. There was another channel operated by a psychiatrist I came across which was much better. I'll see if I can find it for you.

@[WU...]

Here:

https://www.youtube.com/@DrSyl

[st...]

Regarding original post, I like that BB has the high standard of “do no harm”

I don’t like when Medicine lowers that standard to “more helped than harmed”

• Like 5

[Le...]
9 minutes ago, [[b...] said:

I actually suppport the choice to not alloew JWD videos. His guests and his own comments , imo, are focused on how devasting psych meds are. I already know that. I do not get  a benefit from horror stories. I also don't like his click bate approach.

I have found that several of the coaches, who are sometimes medically trained, sometimes not, offer reassurance. They normalize my experience, and that takes away a lot of fear. Additionally, they drop tidbits of information I did not know, which is interesting.

I dont look at these things every day, because I want balance in my life, I don't want to always be listening to benzo related podcasts.

I am linking one I listened to a few days ago. Medicating normal interviewed a psychatrist named Joanna Moncrieff, and her overall take was that medication has it's place in treating patients, but should be used cautiously. She also talked about the curent psych model of prescribing medication as the first option, and talked about how this approach does not help most patients.

My youngest son has schizophrenia. He needs long term medication to function. And, Joanna alluded to this. Some patients do not stabilize out of psychiatric states, and  do benefit from long term medication.

She feels there is a place for medication, but not as athe first line of treatment, and not in the way it is prescribed currently.

similar message delivered in a manner that wont attract as much attention. josefs videos are easy to consume and more accessible and will more successfully spread the word. 

[Ma...]
Just now, [[W...] said:

For neck pain and muscle spasm.  Why are you asking?

I wish my English was better to make my opinions better understood and also to not struggle so much to find my words, it is exhausting. Having said that, I am asking because my intuition, at reading your posts here, was that you have never suffered any mental issues like anxiety and depression. You can’t have a grasp of what a panic attack feels like and how it can make your life miserable. My late grandma had a very miserable life, always panicky and almost homebound, agoraphobia, you know. I cannassure you she would have benefitted a lot from ADs or other drugs that didn’t exist at the time ( I am 62) and I am just grateful that my life has been much more endurable thanks to them. Yes, sometimes these illnesses are hereditary, it has bben proved and I am a living proof. Also,  you may not believe that there exists something as the suffering of the mind, aka strong depression, that can lead people to not wanting to live anymore. Unfortunately, these drugs have a lot of flaws and setbacks and it is obvious that nobody knows how they really work. How could anybody know when we have two billions of neurons and a list of neurotransmitters which we csn only guess what they really do? But, as I have already said, they offer some relief to many people who are desperate. Not all anxiety issues can be treated succesfully with terapy, I know by experience, I wish it was otherwise, I can tell you. So, for all the aforementioned reasons I totally against the idea of banning psychotropic drugs !!! I agree that they badly and overprescribed. Some changes are needed, of course.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1

[Co...]
5 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

hopefully make them realize their only hope is to find it in themselves to change themselves and their life and be motivated by that. 

Noone likes the hard way including me but I sure wish I had gotten that advice. 

With respect, I think you fail to understand the negative consequences that message will have on some people who are looking at JWD's Youtube channel, looking for answers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

[re...]

Lee1978:

You're knocking it out of the park my friend. :clap:

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Co...]
25 minutes ago, [[b...] said:

I actually suppport the choice to not alloew JWD videos. His guests and his own comments , ino, are focused on how devasting psych meds are. I already know that. I do not get  a benefit from horror stories. I also don't like his click bate approach.

I am unsure of Moncrieff. I know there is a criticism of her, but I have not reviewed any of content directly, so I have no real views. But there is room for sensible discussion around these matters.

13 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

similar message delivered in a manner that wont attract as much attention. josefs videos are easy to consume and more accessible and will more successfully spread the word. 

But that's a large part of the problem. If there is no room for nuance, and it is appealing to the lowest common denominator, then that's a huge red flag for me.

• Like 1

[Co...]
13 minutes ago, [[s...] said:

Regarding original post, I like that BB has the high standard of “do no harm”

I don’t like when Medicine lowers that standard to “more helped than harmed”

I think that's a good way of looking at this.

[re...]

Marianita:

You have your opinions and make some good points.

Serious question though:

Do you think the YOUTH and a developing brain should be getting drugged?

[Le...]
8 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

With respect, I think you fail to understand the negative consequences that message will have on some people who are looking at JWD's Youtube channel, looking for answers.

I do understand there will be some. Life is very hard. There will be less harm from doctors like him that realize they have little to work with than ones that think they understand and can help people as they are trying. 

• Like 1

[or...]

I also think of all the folks out there that can't or won't use the internet.  BB to me is the best of education from actual peers.   

I'm not sure about any help from so-called experts.  Dr. Heather Ashton was unique to me (unknown) and I can read her manual or watch her videos and have complete confidence in what she says.  I'm not anti-doctor.  I need my MD, and also a cardio.  They both get aggravated at me because I choose not to take any other meds except the benzo I am weaning off of. 

I am at least applying what I've learned about my own responsibility in being a "partner" with my doctors, and that I need to do my home-work, as long as my brain holds out ;)

• Like 3

[Co...]
14 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

I wish my English was better to make my opinions better understood and also to not struggle so much to find my words, it is exhausting. Having said that, I am asking because my intuition, at reading your posts here, was that you have never suffered any mental issues like anxiety and depression. You can’t have a grasp of what a panic attack feels like and how it can make your life miserable. My late grandma had a very miserable life, always panicky and almost homebound, agoraphobia, you know. I cannassure you she would have benefitted a lot from ADs or other drugs that didn’t exist at the time ( I am 62) and I am just grateful that my life has been much more endurable thanks to them. Yes, sometimes these illnesses are hereditary, it has bben proved and I am a living proof. Also,  you may not believe that there exists something as the suffering of the mind, aka strong depression, that can lead people to not wanting to live anymore. Unfortunately, these drugs have a lot of flaws and setbacks and it is obvious that nobody knows how they really work. How could anybody know when we have two billions of neurons and a list of neurotransmitters which we csn only guess what they really do? But, as I have already said, they offer some relief to many people who are desperate. Not all anxiety issues can be treated succesfully with terapy, I know by experience, I wish it was otherwise, I can tell you. So, for all the aforementioned reasons I totally against the idea of banning psychotropic drugs !!! I agree that they badly and overprescribed. Some changes are needed, of course.

Thank you for posting this, @[Ma...]. And this is a large part of why we have taken this position with videos appearing at JWD's Youtube channel.

• Like 2

[WU...]
8 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

You can’t have a grasp of what a panic attack feels like

Actually I have had many panic attacks and anxiety issues which occurred AFTER I was prescribed diazepam for neck pain!  However neither I nor the various doctors and consultants ever correlated the panic attacks with the drug, even after many years.   I still maintain that precisely because the medical profession do not fully understand how these drugs affect us they should be banned for long term use, for anything other than an emergency situation. It is fine to break the cycle to give some relief from a desperate situation but long term, definitely not.

• Like 4

[Co...]
1 minute ago, [[L...] said:

I do understand there will be some. Life is very hard. There will be less harm from doctors like him that realize they have little to work with than ones that think they understand and can help people as they are trying. 

He tells them in another video that it is a 'YOU Problem' and that others cannot fix them. That's a terrible message to give those in mental distress.

• Like 2

[Co...]
2 minutes ago, [[W...] said:

Actually I have had many panic attacks and anxiety issues which occurred AFTER I was prescribed diazepam for neck pain!  However neither I nor the various doctors and consultants ever correlated the panic attacks with the drug, even after many years.   I still maintain that precisely because the medical profession do not fully understand how these drugs affect us they should be banned for long term use, for anything other than an emergency situation. It is fine to break the cycle to give some relief from a desperate situation but long term, definitely not.

There is probably not great distance between our views. It is now well-established that benzodiazepines have too many downsides to be routinely prescribed for anything but short-term use in cases of anxiety and insomnia. I would not wish to make an absolute statement about that, but like with nearly all things medical, there are surely exceptions.

[Le...]
4 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

He tells them in another video that it is a 'YOU Problem' and that others cannot fix them. That's a terrible message to give those in mental distress.

I disagree. It is true. A very harsh truth that should be followed with more explanation but still necessary. you have to find your own way. noone can carry you and no pill will fix your life. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[re...]

Benzos should only be used for Status Epilepticus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And monitored CLOSELY if given for any other conditions. 

[Ma...]
1 minute ago, [[C...] said:

It is a devastating message indeed! Mental illnesses do exist in the same way as diabetes or asthma or other conditions. And nobody dares to tell people that their pancreas not working properly is a ‘YOU problem’. We arevery reluctant to consider that our brain is an organ that can fail as well as the rest of our organs. This is one of the reasons why mental illnesses have always been so underrated and mentally ill people so poorly understood. I am not saying that drugs are the only solution, specially benzos, which I really believe should not be prescribed long term in the majority of cases.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

[Le...]
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

It is a devastating message indeed! Mental illnesses do exist in the same way as diabetes or asthma or other conditions. And nobody dares to tell people that their pancreas not working properly is a ‘YOU problem’. We arevery reluctant to consider that our brain is an organ that can fail as well as the rest of our organs. This is one of the reasons why mental illnesses have always been so underrated and mentally ill people so poorly understood. I am not saying that drugs are the only solution, specially benzos, which I really believe should not be prescribed long term in the majority of cases.

They do exist. good ways to treat 99% of them dont. I have seen too many people live glassy eyed half lives. it is horrifying. 

Edited by [Le...]
  • Angry 1

[Co...]
3 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

I disagree. It is true. A very harsh truth that should be followed with more explanation but still necessary. you have to find your own way. noone can carry you and no pill will fix your life. 

The very first thing someone needs in heightened mental distress is reassurance than they will be OK. Then they need actual help. If they already feel that they are beyond fixing (which is common with depression) and they are instead told by the doctor that only they can fix themselves, that's a devastating message.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

[re...]

Lee 1978:

OMG 5 stars AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is easier to tell yourself as an Alcoholic you have a 'disease' instead putting that damn bottle down and stop abusing your family!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This way of thinking negates every poor cancer patient in a hospital right now. 

We have medicalized the human condition and this is a VERY VERY dangerous path we have gone down. 

• Love 1
  • Angry 1

[Co...]
15 minutes ago, [[r...] said:

Benzos should only be used for Status Epilepticus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And monitored CLOSELY if given for any other conditions. 

And that's the kind of demand which has helped cause a situation where some GPs are now yanking off their patients from benzodiazepines after very extended use. Lack of nuance can lead to some dreadful outcomes.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1