A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

Anxiety Issues

Posted (edited)

Hello. Does anyone else is phsycally okay but struggling with massive anxiety issues?

I am social fobic. I don´t know if that is still the term but I suffer with severe anxiety in social situations. I started taking medication years ago beacuse of this. Its been a constant source of suffering for me. I´d like to know if anyone took medication for any anxiety issues.

Edited by [...]

[Cr...]
Posted (edited)

Many people suffer from social anxiety, myself included. Before finding help they often self-medicate with things like alcohol, weed, or illicit drugs to help relax enough in social situations/interactions.

Others went to their doctors and ended up on benzos, ADs, or both to solve the problem. Benzos obviously lead to horrible withdrawal symptoms when used beyond 2 to 4 weeks and even just used occasionally over a long period of time. Since people will be having social interactions their whole lives benzos are not a viable longterm solution.

ADs, while a lesser problem than benzos, do have long-term effects and can be difficult to withdrawal from. They are a better option than benzos but should be a last resort if all over forms of therapy and self-help have been exhausted.

Withdrawal often takes our worst faults and fears and makes them 10x worse. If you got on benzos for social anxiety then your social anxiety is probably so much worse in withdrawal.

Good news is that when you recover from withdrawal there is a good chance that you may be organically be able to better cope with your natural anxiety issues as they won't seem as intense by comparison. 

Since I recovered I have not had 1 panic attack. I still get social anxiety but I am much better at coping with it. I can even give speeches at family gatherings and public events like charities, something I could not do before withdrawal.

@[...] what meds do you currently take for your anxiety?

Edited by [Cr...]
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hello friend. Thanks for replying. Since I´ve been taking since 18 years old, my anxiety issues were hidden so much that I didn´t know what was happening, the difference between myself and effect of medication and I was very confused. You are right, my anxiety is probably worse, and there is also the fact that I needed therapy and I wasnt been treated correctly. Its very bad, there are days that I cant even go outside. But I´ll get help. This cannot go on like this. 

Giving speeches is very far from me, I´m happy for you though!

I´m not taking anything for anxiety.

Regards