Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

Gut Health.

[jo...]

I was watching an interesting video last night (early this morning, but who even knows anymore) it was about gut health. Apparently, there are a lot of receptors in our gut, and it is some peoples opinion that healing the gut is as important as healing the brain in wd. Some scientists even refer to the gut as the second brain.

If this is the case then a clean diet that nurtures microbiome could be a significant thing in the speed of recovery. I have always tried to eat health during this but have still been eating some amount of sugar etc. I always associated wd more with the brain but am now thinking there is more to it than that. I understood that a healthy diet was obviously a good idea but now I may take it a lot more seriously and look into specific diets that heal the gut. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

Thanks.

• Like 1

[Le...]

pretty popular topic these days. antidepressants and benzos totally mess up that vagus nerve stuff and screw the gut. 

avoid inflammatory foods and go high fiber. lightly steam veg at minimum just to kill off some microbes but fresh as possible is healthiest. 

• Like 1

[En...]
44 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

I was watching an interesting video last night (early this morning, but who even knows anymore) it was about gut health. Apparently, there are a lot of receptors in our gut, and it is some peoples opinion that healing the gut is as important as healing the brain in wd. Some scientists even refer to the gut as the second brain.

If this is the case then a clean diet that nurtures microbiome could be a significant thing in the speed of recovery. I have always tried to eat health during this but have still been eating some amount of sugar etc. I always associated wd more with the brain but am now thinking there is more to it than that. I understood that a healthy diet was obviously a good idea but now I may take it a lot more seriously and look into specific diets that heal the gut. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

Thanks.

That where the phrase gut feeling comes from. When you feel an emotion you feel it in your gut. 

• Like 4

[jo...]
Just now, [[E...] said:

That where the phrase gut feeling comes from. When you feel an emotion you feel it in your gut. 

I never really considered that but your right.

[En...]
1 minute ago, [[j...] said:

I never really considered that but your right.

And butterflies in your stomach etc...

• Like 2

[da...]
19 hours ago, [[j...] said:

Thanks.

Think imma join you on this jonwil. At this point im just desperate for any relief. 🤝.  So what diets do you think would help us with our gut considering our benzo brains

[jo...]
Just now, [[d...] said:

Think imma join you on this jonwil. At this point im just desperate for any relief. 🤝.  So what diets do you think would help us with our gut considering our benzo brains

i think cut out as many carbs as you can. I'm going high fat low carb. Avoid processed food completely. Whole foods from here on in. Caffeine and alcohol are off the menue for a while as well obviously.

[da...]
10 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

i think cut out as many carbs as you can. I'm going high fat low carb. Avoid processed food completely. Whole foods from here on in. Caffeine and alcohol are off the menue for a while as well obviously.

Okay cool. I love meat, so i can stick to meat, vegetables & fruits right?  Remove sodas, snacks , and processed meats?

• Like 2

[Le...]
4 minutes ago, [[d...] said:

Okay cool. I love meat, so i can stick to meat, vegetables & fruits right?  Remove sodas, snacks , and processed meats?

noone should be eating any of those last things and after a few months away from them they will disgust you. 

• Like 1

[jo...]
17 minutes ago, [[d...] said:

(y)sounds about right.

[Cr...]
Posted (edited)

I don't know of it will help you or not but I read somewhere that during times of high anxiety you should never go to bed on an empty stomach.

You don't want to eat sugar or caffiene, nor a full meal but something small that won't cause sudden changes in blood sugar. Something that is slow to break down. I started eating a slice of 12-grain toast (not white bread) with butter or PB about an hour before bed and it may have been placebo effect but I felt a little better in the mornings.

As for eating better overall...If there is any time to learn to eat healthy now is the time. Just remember that you won't see benefits overnight and sometimes when you cut other things out your body can detox and cause minor symptoms (zero carb fatigue).

That said my sister recovered from her horrible ativan taper/wd eating whatever she wanted. So don't stress about forcing yourself to do a diet overhaul thinking it will speed up your recovery or worrying that your current diet is slowing down your recovery.

Edited by [Cr...]
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone like to recommend good foods/drinks for the gut? 

I read pickles and sauerkraut are good for the gut. But I have also read that pickled food and vinigar etc are benzo bad.

Any suggestions? trying to improve the gut diet without eating anything triggering.

Thanks.

Here's just a couple of ideas for you....Kombucha is really good for the gut - I found I like drinking it better at room temperature, not cold. Plain Greek yogurt is healthy for you (and your gut!) - I add a little manuka honey, some blueberries and granola for crunch. I have found that anything with sugar triggers my w/d symptoms, so I avoid it. Anything we can do to help our gut helps the rest of the body too!

• Like 1

Will give Kombucha a try when I find out what it is:LOL: I'm already on the greek yogurt but putting granola in is a nice idea(y) Doesnt granola have sugar though?

1 hour ago, [[j...] said:

Will give Kombucha a try when I find out what it is:LOL: I'm already on the greek yogurt but putting granola in is a nice idea(y) Doesnt granola have sugar though?

Kombucha. Is that the drink that “cleans a person out”? As in #2?

On 30/05/2024 at 12:56, [[C...] said:

don't know of it will help you or not but I read somewhere that during times of high anxiety you should never go to bed on an empty stomach.

Absolutely true!!

• Like 1

Try to eat high healthy fats. Nut butters work for me and yes, meat protein I’d you ain’t a vegan.

12 grain toast sounds good. I like it with tart cherry jam. Usually has very little sugar if you get a quality brand.

I consume sugar in modest amounts 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, [[C...] said:

I am sure every type of nut has been buttered by someone at this point

you've just put me off nut butter. I will no longer be making my purchase.

18 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

Kombucha. Is that the drink that “cleans a person out”? As in #2?

It's an ancient fermented tea that may have many health benefits, such as improving digestion, boosting the immune system, lowering cholesterol levels, and supporting cardiovascular health. So it isn't something you would drink to clean you out, just drink for gut health. In fact, I don't think anyone would be able to handle drinking enough of this to clean you out - you'd probably throw up first !  LOL

• Like 2