Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

On approx 1-2mg (max) Xanax - questions: Rehab or taper?

[Bu...]
Posted (edited)

Hi all,

It's been quite a while since I posted.  I just wanted to say how grateful I am to this forum.  I tried tapering a few years ago, I got myself to .75 a DAY of Xanax. Covid happened, had major stresses at work, and I am back up to about 1mg (2 mg at the absolute most) a day.

As I may have mentioned in the past, I take this so that I feel "normal" to prevent the withdrawal feelings.   I know that you can't cold turkey benzos and I have been on this for over a decade.  I want off this ride.

With that being said - I have tapered down before (2019-2020ish). Will it be harder this time because I have increased again?  Because I have been on it longer? 

Should I even bother tapering or should I try to see if I could get help from a rehab facility? Is that too dramatic for the dose I am on? 

Please be gentle with the responses. My anxiety is through the roof right now.  :(

Thank you so much in advance.

Edited by [Bu...]
clarity/anxious mistakes lol

[Re...]
2 hours ago, [[B...] said:

Hi all,

It's been quite a while since I posted.  I just wanted to say how grateful I am to this forum.  I tried tapering a few years ago, I got myself to .75 a DAY of Xanax. Covid happened, had major stresses at work, and I am back up to about 1mg (2 mg at the absolute most) a day.

As I may have mentioned in the past, I take this so that I feel "normal" to prevent the withdrawal feelings.   I know that you can't cold turkey benzos and I have been on this for over a decade.  I want off this ride.

With that being said - I have tapered down before (2019-2020ish). Will it be harder this time because I have increased again?  Because I have been on it longer? 

Should I even bother tapering or should I try to see if I could get help from a rehab facility? Is that too dramatic for the dose I am on? 

Please be gentle with the responses. My anxiety is through the roof right now.  :(

Thank you so much in advance.

Many members report getting harmed by the rehab system. I was one of them. They rip people off benzos and then polydrug them which can cause more harm. If I had to do it all over again, I would have done a patient-led gradual (perhaps hyperbolic) taper.

[Bu...]

Thanks! I did see that as I read some more last night.  I’m going to stick with the taper and hope it’s not too bad.

I’m only worried because I’m not sure how much I’m taking daily.  

Thanks for your help! 

• 2 months later...

Hi! I got off of 2mg Klonopin over 10 year usage, never abused, from a rehab facility. please call a Betty Ford in your state and ask their recs for a Detox center. I spent 14 days total- 6 days on an Ativan taper then the 8 remaining on “comfy” meds. Wishing you much success !!

1 hour ago, [[v...] said:

Hi! I got off of 2mg Klonopin over 10 year usage, never abused, from a rehab facility. please call a Betty Ford in your state and ask their recs for a Detox center. I spent 14 days total- 6 days on an Ativan taper then the 8 remaining on “comfy” meds. Wishing you much success !!

Hello @[vi...], welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I hope you'll start a thread of your own so you can elaborate on your experience, it sounds like it a positive!  We don't see that very often so we'd love to hear more.

@[Pa...]

I am Not sure a post would be helpful as when I did come on here to find success Rehab stories there was so much negativity. unfortunately I was put on Klonopin by a doctor. I don’t smoke any substances and barely drink - this was my main vice and I am determined to stay off of it. It really is a mindset shift, just like everything in life. I also know myself and I never would have been able to stick to a taper and don’t want to make folks feel bad for tapering. I will share soon, thank you for the encouragement!

3 minutes ago, [[v...] said:

I am Not sure a post would be helpful as when I did come on here to find success Rehab stories there was so much negativity. unfortunately I was put on Klonopin by a doctor. I don’t smoke any substances and barely drink - this was my main vice and I am determined to stay off of it. It really is a mindset shift, just like everything in life. I also know myself and I never would have been able to stick to a taper and don’t want to make folks feel bad for tapering. I will share soon, thank you for the encouragement!

Most of us have had bad experiences with detox, I left AMA the first night but there are a few who swear by it and I totally get not being able to taper.  I think a thread about your success would be helpful to those who can't taper.  I quit cold turkey because I didn't know it needed to be tapered but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to taper due to my being a recovering alcoholic. 

I had a very positive experience from rehab (4 days detox, 35 days in treatment). I’m 7 months clean from all pills. I was on .5mg of K and 10mgs of ambien. Happy to share my experience.

The one thing I will say, is “detox” is not helpful for benzos. You will need detox for them to evaluate your meds in a controlled, hospital like setting. You will then need to go in for at least 30 days in treatment/residence. “Detox” is not really detox. It’s just a place for them to monitor and stabilize your meds. Do not explore any facility that does not offer both detox and residence.

I was 10 days at a detox facility for zopiclone at one time. It was nice getting sandwiches and feel good medicine but coming home was when the real test started..i didn’t make it that time. I started at once i got home.

Problem is that this thing last so long. 

19 minutes ago, [[D...] said:

I had a very positive experience from rehab (4 days detox, 35 days in treatment). I’m 7 months clean from all pills. I was on .5mg of K and 10mgs of ambien. Happy to share my experience.

The one thing I will say, is “detox” is not helpful for benzos. You will need detox for them to evaluate your meds in a controlled, hospital like setting. You will then need to go in for at least 30 days in treatment/residence. “Detox” is not really detox. It’s just a place for them to monitor and stabilize your meds. Do not explore any facility that does not offer both detox and residence.

Right but weren’t you given drugs to get you off of the benzo? I was given an Ativan taper for 6 days and now I am completely substance free. I would say the time in Detox saved me because 1) could never taper myself and stick to it to be benzo free 2) I was medically supervised and given anti seizure  medicine 

Yes, I was given Gabapentin to help with my taper. They cold turkeyed me on ambien and tapered me off K in 28 days. I was very physically dependent on both and a complete mess. 

7 hours ago, [[v...] said:

Right but weren’t you given drugs to get you off of the benzo? I was given an Ativan taper for 6 days and now I am completely substance free. I would say the time in Detox saved me because 1) could never taper myself and stick to it to be benzo free 2) I was medically supervised and given anti seizure  medicine 

Yes I feel the exact same way. I was trying to taper myself and declining rapidly. I couldn’t do it on my own, but my experience is unique to me. I don’t actually quite know why I was able to make it through rehab, but I’m incredibly grateful every single moment of the day that I made it out. 

1 hour ago, [[D...] said:

Yes, I was given Gabapentin to help with my taper. They cold turkeyed me on ambien and tapered me off K in 28 days. I was very physically dependent on both and a complete mess. 

What is your gabapentin use now like? You taper or still on? 

14 hours ago, [[K...] said:

What is your gabapentin use now like? You taper or still on? 

I have some but take it maybe once a month for flying. I didn’t need to taper gabapentin. I just stopped and was fine, but it’s possibly others would need to taper it. I never really noticed anything being on or off it, so just stopped.