Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Body pain

[En...]
Posted (edited)
On 14/05/2024 at 10:50, [[L...] said:

Hey all hope everyone is having a wonderful Tuesday morning and finding some happiness today ❤️

so I am roughly 3 months from a cold turkey of alprazolam, many of you on here know my story and have been helping me the whole way which I cannot thank you all enough for.

I unfortunately have had a return of a very terrible symptom which i would like to discuss and see if it’s still in the realm of withdrawal or if I should be worried and schedule more tests.

early on in my withdrawal (week 1 through about week 6) I had horrible pain and weakness throughout my body but mostly in my arms and hands and legs. A very dull constant anche radiating throughout my limbs.  Everything felt incredibly heavy, like carrying trash bags was almost impossible or lifting my small daughter felt like a monumental chore. I run a barbershop and was unable to hold my arms up for extended periods of time. Carrying a dinner plate was exhausting. Scary and debilitating stuff. But it went away COMPLETELY at around week 6, and have spent the last two months free from that weakness and soreness.

unfortunately around 2 days ago the pain and weakness came back almost worse than it was before. The pain is constant and is keeping me awake. Was trying to do a puzzle with my wife and it’s exhausting to even lift my arms. My arms feel like I just did an incredibly difficult resistance workout at the gym.Again mostly in my arms and legs. I’m freaking out a bit. I thought I was done with this. 

it seems weird even for benzos to have such a massive symptom heal completely and then 2 months later come back worse than before. The weakness is profound.

Here is a list of some testing I have had throughout this to possibly rule out other things: 

-nerve conduction study (along with full neurology physical exam)

- EMG of legs and arms and face

- cardiac stress test and echocardiagram 

- multiple EKG’s

- chest x ray 

-brain mri

- tons of blood work (CBC and metabolic panels) 

- Lyme test

- pulmonary function exam (spirometry)

all of which have come back 100% normal. 

I just don’t know what to do anymore I am incredibly frustrated and scared and have spent a tremendous amount of time and money trying to figure this out. 

can anyone relate to this symptom or had something go away for that long and return in full force worse than before.  

Thank you all yet again for the continued support, praying for you daily.

Wishing you all the happiness in the world  ❤️

-Lucas 

My last taper was a bad one and I suffered. My arms were so weak and shaky and I felt like I worked out with weights. There is most likely nothing wrong with you but withdrawal. Like I said in a previous post I went to ER for pain and thought I had angina. I dont freak out about these pains and shaky anymore because I know it is just withdrawal. Just relax and tell yourself it as much as it sucks it is all just withdrawal and will pass. No way out but through it. Time, patience and acceptance will set you free. 

Edited by [En...]

21 minutes ago, [[G...] said:

@[...]

Hi there, here to compare notes again. I’m 12 months off a very short use of Zoplicone and off lexapro after 6 years on and off. This torso and back muscle probs just won’t let up. When I stand still well it is impossible to stand still because my muscles just tighten, pull or seize and it is agony. 

Will this issue resolve at all? Did you experience this? Yes these muscle issues is  what I’m left with 😔.

❤️

Hi, @[Gi...]!)) I'm 14 months off benzo, long term use, and still feel lots of my muscles literally. It's painful, yes, sometimes very much. Back, shoulders, diaphragm, legs, jaw, low back head but not all the time. I do have lucky days. The pain must mean healing. My reasons are based on other people's experience and the fact that painful sensations are changing slowly and some parts of my body seem to be back to normal. The other symptoms that are gone by now can also be a proof of healing.

Have you felt any changes? I mean exactly changes not intensity. Do you have it all the time? I did notice z drugs are more notorious for muscle symptoms. Let's believe in healing and wait. I do hope we both and everyone else will have all the proofs for ourself. Would like it to be rather soon)💖

53 minutes ago, [[G...] said:

I really hope these symptoms go soon as they make me want to quit. 

Sorry, Giuly, i didn't understand it.

Yes, they're bound to go. In fact, I'm sure. Just don't know how long it's going to take. Are there any changes in your condition?

I remembered one more reason just now. When i went to my neurologist and told her about muscles, she checked everything but didn't find anything wrong in particular. Dhe doesn't think of benzo too much so said it must have been some stress and it should be over. She isn't benzo wise but a very good neurologist. If she says my muscles are going to be ok, i believe her)

Don't get desperate, pls! We will heal

• Like 1

[Gi...]
On 29/05/2024 at 09:24, [[G...] said:

Thank you ❤️

@[...]

May I just ask how long you have been off the benzo?

I tell you if it weren’t for my torso and back muscles I would be back at school teaching now. So frustrating!

11 minutes ago, [[G...] said:

@[...]

May I just ask how long you have been off the benzo?

I tell you if it weren’t for my torso and back muscles I would be back at school teaching now. So frustrating!

I'm 14 months off. But my muscles started suffering before the actual jump, while i was tapering.

If it weren't for my muscles i'd be back to teaching too) Really need to begin working!

[Wi...]
On 22/05/2024 at 19:59, [[G...] said:

Thank you so much Kate for replying.

Pleased to hear you are seeing some progress ❤️.

Yes I have these horrendous muscle pulling, twisting, squeezing in my torso and back intermittently taking in turns depending on position. Usually when I sit down it is the abdomen that plays up sometimes feels Leo a squeeze or jerk or seizing up/tightening/pulling. I have had for a year now. I came off cold Turkey from lexapro in February 2023 then I was using Zolpidem for about a month sparingly about twice a week.

These symptoms appear at around April/May last year so I don’t know whether they were caused by lexapro withdrawal or whether it was the z drug or just a mixture of the two due to my brain being already destabilized l have no idea. I had issues with my calves, throat and gluteus muscles alongside tremors as soon as I came off lexapro.

Do you see muscle pulling as capable of recovering? I am so discouraged at this point.  I have had windows but the pain and tightness are always there.

I can’t stand still for more than 5 seconds before I feel my muscles tightening and pulling.

💕

Hi! Is your squeezing also worse when you are upright? I have it in my head, neck, chest and stomach. Flares badly when I am upright like something just squeezing or expanding inside me and comes with vibration and paresthesias, when I am up.

• Sad 1

[Gi...]
On 09/06/2024 at 15:02, [[W...] said:

Hi! Is your squeezing also worse when you are upright? I have it in my head, neck, chest and stomach. Flares badly when I am upright like something just squeezing or expanding inside me and comes with vibration and paresthesias, when I am up.

Yes when I stand up my abdomen will seize up, bloat. Expand. Also when I sit up. Horrible. How long have you had this? Did it improve?

[Wi...]
9 hours ago, [[G...] said:

Yes when I stand up my abdomen will seize up, bloat. Expand. Also when I sit up. Horrible. How long have you had this? Did it improve?

For me it's getting worse over time. No idea what this is.