Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Looking for input

[En...]
Just now, [[B...] said:

Oh wow

im intolerance withdrawal snd scared it’s harming me bc I dose once a day

i habe akathasia sometimes now and no sleep unless I take pm atuvsn

hpw much longer do you have ?

I am going to say a month left but I am at the end of my taper and am feeling the cuts more now. I will go by how I feel not time. That was working for me. I also take small cuts and hold to see how I feel. I hate akathisia it is the worst symptom next to lack of sleep. I will take dizzy and headaches and shakiness over akathisia and lack of sleep anyday. Today showed me I am not out of the woods yet. 

[Ba...]

I have racing heart and what feels like tachychardia off on all day

[Ba...]

I’m so sorry you are experiencing this!!!!!

if I went on symptoms I think I might never get off

[Ba...]

I feel like I need to get stable but have no clue how to do it

[Ba...]

I appreciate your sharing

prsyers for peace for you today!!🙏🏻☮️

[Ba...]

Ok buddies

i am wondering how to mitigate these symptoms

im In full blown withdrawal I think but still taking the one .25 dose of Ativan at bedtime

can that be

its like I’m not even taking any lorazapam at all 

id this goes on the entire time I taper down .25 I don’t think I will survive

i am wondering if I should switch over to another or updose 

the spreading out of .25 through the day would be such small amounts

im really scared and feel very unwell

I know you guys told me several things to do

i don’t remember about updose?

[Co...]

Hi @[Ba...]

Since you have been on a dose of 0.25mg/day for a couple of months (please correct me if I have misunderstood), I do not see the benefit of increasing your dose if your intention is to taper off. Increasing your dose now would be the very opposite of your stated aim.

You have a few options:

1. Taper off from your present dosing regimen
  2. (Gradually) switch over to a twice-daily dosing regimen (2 x 0.125mg) and taper off from there
  3. Switch to a loner-acting benzodiazepine (we generally suggest diazepam for this), and taper off from there.
  4. Increase your daily dose (which is the wrong direction if your intention is to quit)

Since option 1. does not appear to be working very well for you (you report both paradoxical and interdose withdrawal effects, this leave options 2. and 3. Option 2. is probably the safer option because it is a small change from your present dosing regimen (same daily dose, same medication). Option 3. is a larger change, and more unpredictable in its results. Since your dose has been stable for two months, option 4. probably should be off the table given your stated aim is to quit.

Based upon our personal experiences and the experiences of other members, we can only provide you with our opinions. The decision, though, is yours to take in consolation with your doctor. I understand why you wish to be instructed in what you should do. But we are not your doctor - we cannot do this for you. I think you are just going around incircles here, looking for direction (from BB). We cannot do this. Please talk with your doctor. Once you have made a decision, we can help support you.

• Like 3

[Ba...]

I understand

thanks for encapsulating all the possible choices here

i apologize

my confusion and fear is evident 

I will take all This to heart and mind and work with my practitioner 

thanks so much

• Like 1

[Co...]
6 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

I understand

thanks for encapsulating all the possible choices here

i apologize

my confusion and fear is evident 

I will take all This to heart and mind and work with my practitioner 

thanks so much

Hey - no need to apologise. You were going around in circles - this is pretty common for new members in your position - I was just trying to cut to the chase.

Make a decision with your medical practitioner, and we will help you move forward.

[Ba...]
1 minute ago, [[C...] said:

Hey - no need to apologise. You were going around in circles - this is pretty common for new members in your position - I was just trying to cut to the chase.

Make a decision with your medical practitioner, and we will help you move forward.

Ok

18 hours ago, [[B...] said:

I feel like I need to get stable but have no clue how to do it

@[Ba...], my heart is really aching for you since i can understand you to the full. By my observation and experience, it can take us much longer, if any, to stabilize when we start messing with dosages unsystematically. I did it lots of times and got worse and worse. I believe you need to think all the options over, make a plan and stick to it. It should help but you'll have to be patient anyway.

As for me, i never stabilised till the very end of my taper. The tapering was extremely hard but, guess, manageable. And in my case switching to a longer benzo worked. I also took mirtazapine to cover wd symptoms, wich also was of assistance. Just my own experience. I do hope you will find your way and get better in the end.

Once again, really feel for you with all my heart!

• Like 1

[Ba...]
Just now, [[B...] said:

Thank you for sharing. I am so scared and confused and symptomatic and driven by fear and uncertainty. I appreciate all the input and care.♥️🫶♥️

Might I ask what long acting benzo did you switch to?

51 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

Might I ask what long acting benzo did you switch to?

Yes, sure. It was kind of diazepam, the same metabolites anyway. A benzo mostly used locally, medazepam. I would be careful to suggest it as an alternative though. 

Sorry if my input made you even more confused. Just couldn't help writing since i think i was once exactly the position you're in now and i really got better, not completely and yet. I think it's crucial for you now just to know that it's possible and most probable. GOOD LUCK to you🌺

[Ba...]
2 hours ago, [[C...] said:

Hi @[Ba...]

Since you have been on a dose of 0.25mg/day for a couple of months (please correct me if I have misunderstood), I do not see the benefit of increasing your dose if your intention is to taper off. Increasing your dose now would be the very opposite of your stated aim.

You have a few options:

1. Taper off from your present dosing regimen
  2. (Gradually) switch over to a twice-daily dosing regimen (2 x 0.125mg) and taper off from there
  3. Switch to a loner-acting benzodiazepine (we generally suggest diazepam for this), and taper off from there.
  4. Increase your daily dose (which is the wrong direction if your intention is to quit)

Since option 1. does not appear to be working very well for you (you report both paradoxical and interdose withdrawal effects, this leave options 2. and 3. Option 2. is probably the safer option because it is a small change from your present dosing regimen (same daily dose, same medication). Option 3. is a larger change, and more unpredictable in its results. Since your dose has been stable for two months, option 4. probably should be off the table given your stated aim is to quit.

Based upon our personal experiences and the experiences of other members, we can only provide you with our opinions. The decision, though, is yours to take in consolation with your doctor. I understand why you wish to be instructed in what you should do. But we are not your doctor - we cannot do this for you. I think you are just going around incircles here, looking for direction (from BB). We cannot do this. Please talk with your doctor. Once you have made a decision, we can help support you.

Colin

i was prn 8-10 years few times a month at 1/4-1/2 .5

then on Feb started every few nights 1/4-1/2 skip around then in March 2 weeks of .5 every night then went to 3/4 for bit then now 1/2-.25 the last 2-3 weeks

[Co...]
1 hour ago, [[B...] said:

Colin

i was prn 8-10 years few times a month at 1/4-1/2 .5

then on Feb started every few nights 1/4-1/2 skip around then in March 2 weeks of .5 every night then went to 3/4 for bit then now 1/2-.25 the last 2-3 weeks

I'm not sure I fully follow the doses there. But you might feel better if you stabilise your dose for a few weeks more. However, since you have been at this dose for a few weeks now, this does not preclude you from soon changing how you take your daily total dose (or substitution) if this is what you decide.

[Ba...]
3 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

I'm not sure I fully follow the doses there. But you might feel better if you stabilise your dose for a few weeks more. But since you have been at this dose for a few weeks now, this does not preclude you from soon changing how you take your daily total dose (or substitution) if this is what you decide.

Ok

thank you

[or...]
On 09/05/2024 at 20:16, [[B...] said:

Hi @[Ba...],

I was on Clonazepam, but I think that, according to online conversion calculators, that .25 mgs of Ativan is roughly equal to .125 mgs of clonazepam.  I jumped from .0625 of Clonazepam and it was rough.  

If I've read correctly it seems like you've had a lot of changes to your dosing lately.  If that's the case, the best thing to do right now might just be to hold your dose where you are for a while and see if you start to feel better.  When you do, you can reevaluate how you want to taper.  I understand not wanting to be on this any longer than necessary, but as someone who tapered too fast at the end, I think there is value in slowing down at the lower doses.

can't agree more with this BTS ;) If in doubt, don't do anything, which I mean, just hold the dose of whatever you are on.  I truly believe we can become stable, just takes some longer that others, depending on their circumstances.  It used to take me longer to become ready to taper again, never had a need to change to another type of benzo.  Now, it is taking a shorter time, and I'm actually tapering more, just 3% in about 10 days. My sxs are affecting me less. I believe in the healing I've heard about the longer I stick with my taper, oregonlady

[Ba...]

My husband and sister are trying to help me navigate this whole thing,

They believe I should just micro-taper(reduce the pill amount tiny amounts) from where I am at dosing once a day for 6 weeks to finally finish the .25.(coach recommended this)

ivevtried to explain to them we should split the dose maybe or switch. They say we should just go forward as is bc I am sensitive and may not handle those changes and they are concerned with how to split the dose bc it’s already small.They are concerned about my current health and weight loss and symptoms . I keep telling them I think I need to find some stability before we taper like that.

I’m scared doing once a day dosing and all the symptoms I’m incurring could harm me in the long run.

They don’t believe me.

is there any info I can show them or tell them to back up my fears about this dosing.

They say I’d have withdrawal symptoms no matter what. They may be correct as I have had withdrawal symptoms from the beginning of reducing the dose in any manner this whole time. The up and down of that  1 pm dose these 3 months have caused withdrawal symptoms all along.

I’m having numb hands feet and mouth gum teeth tongue pain and mouth dryness which is so scary.

the anxiety and heart pain with inner wrestless ness and sleep disturbance….all so scary. And they think I’d have this no matter how we taper.

thanks so much.

[Ba...]
On 17/05/2024 at 07:32, [[C...] said:

I'm not sure I fully follow the doses there. But you might feel better if you stabilise your dose for a few weeks more. However, since you have been at this dose for a few weeks now, this does not preclude you from soon changing how you take your daily total dose (or substitution) if this is what you decide.

On 18/05/2024 at 07:08, [[B...] said:

My husband and sister are trying to help me navigate this whole thing,

They believe I should just micro-taper(reduce the pill amount tiny amounts) from where I am at dosing once a day for 6 weeks to finally finish the .25.(coach recommended this)

ivevtried to explain to them we should split the dose maybe or switch. They say we should just go forward as is bc I am sensitive and may not handle those changes and they are concerned with how to split the dose bc it’s already small.They are concerned about my current health and weight loss and symptoms . I keep telling them I think I need to find some stability before we taper like that.

I’m scared doing once a day dosing and all the symptoms I’m incurring could harm me in the long run.

They don’t believe me.

is there any info I can show them or tell them to back up my fears about this dosing.

They say I’d have withdrawal symptoms no matter what. They may be correct as I have had withdrawal symptoms from the beginning of reducing the dose in any manner this whole time. The up and down of that  1 pm dose these 3 months have caused withdrawal symptoms all along.

I’m having numb hands feet and mouth gum teeth tongue pain and mouth dryness which is so scary.

the anxiety and heart pain with inner wrestless ness and sleep disturbance….all so scary. And they think I’d have this no matter how we taper.

thanks so much.

Hi colin

I am in so much uncomfortableness with akathisia and sleeplessness and so many other symptoms

my family is trying to help me

i posted that they want me taking a tiny bit off of each night for 6 weeks from the .25

we started this 3 days ago and all my symptoms worse.. I am using my scale and it’s ok accurate but not 100 percent for sure 

my dr knows nothing he’s just prescribing 

the coach I had a session with recommended we shave a tiny bit off each night

i am wondering at this point if I can updose a tiny bit  snd  then spread my dosages through the day? That the symptoms would abate

quite frankly I’ve had the symptoms most days since all this started back in February except when I took the .5 full dose for 2 weekS— then I had no symptoms and slept well

all the other up down from 1/4 of .5 to 1/2 of .5 to 3/4 of .5 through these months had brought all the symptoms

i also prn several times a month for 8-10 years 

ive been reading a lot and I’m most concerned about how to find a homeostasis so I can make a plan

i wonder if there are psychiatrist who do virtual in USA that bb recommends?

I want to be able to come off this with a quality of life if that’s possible

i appreciate your input

babybug

[Ba...]
On 16/05/2024 at 11:32, [[E...] said:

I am going to say a month left but I am at the end of my taper and am feeling the cuts more now. I will go by how I feel not time. That was working for me. I also take small cuts and hold to see how I feel. I hate akathisia it is the worst symptom next to lack of sleep. I will take dizzy and headaches and shakiness over akathisia and lack of sleep anyday. Today showed me I am not out of the woods yet. 

Hi eng 101

im having akathasia and have had it off on since February w playing with the dose 

I didn’t know it was the Ativan and was looking for sleep so I kept using it between other drug therapies to find sleep going up down in the dose as well never above .5 only once a day

im trying to get a better plan as you may see in my reply to Colin

i am interested in inquiring about your experience w akathasia and how you got it to calm down

I experience it worse when I change dosage  by decreasing but when I increased the dosage for 2 weeks only to 1xaday .5 I had no akathisia 

this and the insomnia causing me the most fear snd distress

when I didn’t know it was the Ativan causing all this and I was trying other sleep meds in between days and then got 5 days no Ativan at all I slept none for weeks 

now I’m only sleeping bc the nighttime onky dose of Ativan I take and it’s only like 3 hours

i hope you can share some about your experience 

Thabks

babybg

[En...]
On 20/05/2024 at 14:25, [[B...] said:

Hi eng 101

im having akathasia and have had it off on since February w playing with the dose 

I didn’t know it was the Ativan and was looking for sleep so I kept using it between other drug therapies to find sleep going up down in the dose as well never above .5 only once a day

im trying to get a better plan as you may see in my reply to Colin

i am interested in inquiring about your experience w akathasia and how you got it to calm down

I experience it worse when I change dosage  by decreasing but when I increased the dosage for 2 weeks only to 1xaday .5 I had no akathisia 

this and the insomnia causing me the most fear snd distress

when I didn’t know it was the Ativan causing all this and I was trying other sleep meds in between days and then got 5 days no Ativan at all I slept none for weeks 

now I’m only sleeping bc the nighttime onky dose of Ativan I take and it’s only like 3 hours

i hope you can share some about your experience 

Thabks

babybg

Akathisia is a byproduct of severe anxiety/restlessness and inability to stay still. I paced my house all day until my legs hurt. I could only relax at night. I would call my Dr all the time with anxiety. Eventually my Dr put me on an antipsychotic for anxiety and that is what stopped it. The antipsychotic also took away my pleasure in life and motivations. It was a double edged sword. When I tried to change the dosage of the antipsychotic I noticed that restlessness feeling coming back so I reinstated the dosage. I hate being on the antipsychotic but at the same time it took that extreme anxiety away. 

I have been having a rough week with my recent cut down to 0.25mg left to go of clonazepam. My anxiety was very high today. The worst I have felt it ever. And shaky hands i couldn't hold a utensil. It is worse in the morning until night time I feel some relief. No akathisia though. 

[En...]
On 20/05/2024 at 14:18, [[B...] said:

Hi colin

I am in so much uncomfortableness with akathisia and sleeplessness and so many other symptoms

my family is trying to help me

i posted that they want me taking a tiny bit off of each night for 6 weeks from the .25

we started this 3 days ago and all my symptoms worse.. I am using my scale and it’s ok accurate but not 100 percent for sure 

my dr knows nothing he’s just prescribing 

the coach I had a session with recommended we shave a tiny bit off each night

i am wondering at this point if I can updose a tiny bit  snd  then spread my dosages through the day? That the symptoms would abate

quite frankly I’ve had the symptoms most days since all this started back in February except when I took the .5 full dose for 2 weekS— then I had no symptoms and slept well

all the other up down from 1/4 of .5 to 1/2 of .5 to 3/4 of .5 through these months had brought all the symptoms

i also prn several times a month for 8-10 years 

ive been reading a lot and I’m most concerned about how to find a homeostasis so I can make a plan

i wonder if there are psychiatrist who do virtual in USA that bb recommends?

I want to be able to come off this with a quality of life if that’s possible

i appreciate your input

babybug

I would recommend not updosing if you can. I am suffering right now and I contemplate updosing but I dont because it is going backwards for one and I also hear it can cause kindling of your brain and make future tapers worse. Your brain has a memory of the bad withdrawals and it gets harder when you increase the dose. It can also make things worse like overdosing if you are more than a week into withdrawal as your brain has healed some. I try not to go backwards even though I am going through absolute hell this week. It is a temptation but I have read during the 2 week acute phase drug craving is a symptom. I just tell myself keep going forward it is only temporary. It is going to go away and I will feel better again. 2 weeks of hell that's all. Very difficult time but in the end it is worth it. You also gain confidence that you can get through the hell and come out the other side drug free. 

Keep the faith in yourself. 

• Like 1