Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Just starting my 12 month and head symptoms worse than ever

@[Pi...] "I've become afraid to drive and I was on the road all my life"

That was one of the very first things that happened to me many years ago when I first was prescribed and I never once linked it to the pills. Like you I was driving all over the country for my job. Crazy why I didn't put two and two together all those years ago.

• Like 1

@[...] "All the tears have been gone since i hit tolerance"@

It is a feeling of being stunned I think, but the emotions will return so prepare yourself for floods of tears, very therapeutic they say.

@[wi...]"It also always involves heightened panic. Its like a NS firestorm."

It is not surprising that a sort of panic ensues as the feeling is way beyond anything we have experienced before.  

• Like 3

Yes that's where I'm at now! Floods of emotions! Constant mood changes. Major depression and crying out of no where then it stops. Major fear one minute then a distraction and I feel pretty normal until it hits again. Didn't sleep well last night not because of anxiety but constant vivid dreams about things in my past. Maybe this is all good. The constant fear is tough. I feel afraid of everything at times. I went from endless heart palp's, internal vibrations, hallucinations especially at night and constant anxiety to constant fear. Fatigue and muscle / joint pain is a little better. I guess these are good signs?

• 1 month later...
[Wi...]

The squeezing is horrible today. It began as usual at the back my head and it’s still pulling me, it’s terrible. However, it has also gone down and focused in my chest/stomach area. Does it also feel to you like pressure and a giant fist just squeezing you inside and pulling you inwards? For me it got way worse with time… What the hell?! It’s some electrical injury for sure, we know that but any ideas what exactly it is? I swear I can feel this sensation travelling from my brain stem down my spinal cord, yuck!

Edited by [Wi...]
  • Like 1

[WU...]

Now into my 13th month and the squeezing is worse than ever, really hard contractions. I am also feeling pains in my chest and stomach along with a fluttering sensation. To me it feels as though the pathways in every nerve have been severed into sections rather than one long smooth free flowing state. So I am imagining tiny nerve fibres loose and flailing around trying to find a connection.  Who knows what is actually going on.  My sinuses feel like they are closing up, my ear feels like a shrivelled up prune on the inside and hurts like hell. Squeezing pretty much the whole time I am awake.  Everything is only on the right side. Even my right hip was hurting today and I have never had a problem with it before, so I guess this is the whole length of these nerves coming into play.

Everyone talks about distraction but actually I find it better to go right into it like it is a storm. Trying to distract is like trying not to think of a pink elephant.  

• Like 1

[Wi...]
37 minutes ago, [[W...] said:

Now into my 13th month and the squeezing is worse than ever, really hard contractions. I am also feeling pains in my chest and stomach along with a fluttering sensation. To me it feels as though the pathways in every nerve have been severed into sections rather than one long smooth free flowing state. So I am imagining tiny nerve fibres loose and flailing around trying to find a connection.  Who knows what is actually going on.  My sinuses feel like they are closing up, my ear feels like a shrivelled up prune on the inside and hurts like hell. Squeezing pretty much the whole time I am awake.  Everything is only on the right side. Even my right hip was hurting today and I have never had a problem with it before, so I guess this is the whole length of these nerves coming into play.

Everyone talks about distraction but actually I find it better to go right into it like it is a storm. Trying to distract is like trying not to think of a pink elephant.  

Oh yes, I know these sensations. I have a feeling like there are electric wires in my head pushed and pulled and misfiring. Right now my head squeezes and deep in my chest what feels like my esophagus. Yuck! For me it got worse over time too. I wonder when their it will ever improve… 

Edited by [Wi...]

[WU...]

Well it is supposed to improve. It would be fantastic if someone told us it would all be good by a certain date. In the meantime it is all about finding ways to get through this ordeal.  I also have a whole variety of different tinnitus sounds, different every day. And worst of all is the sense of being hit hard on the back of the head with a baseball bat and living in the aftershock.  It is incredible what we are all dealing with

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

2 hours ago, [[W...] said:

I think distraction works if it works🙂 As for me, i never try to distract myself too forcefully. I just get distracted with smth and happy about it for a while. Oh, and i read yor posts on architecture, i don't understand much in this field i just like the way you write) and while i was reading i thought the topic was a successful try on distracting yourself, no?

My right side is again in league with yours today. The ear and even the hip... But not too torturous. And, yes, i do hope that all the growing nasty sensations means something good.

In fact, @[WU...], i just wanted to say hello to you)

Edited by [...]
  • Like 1

[WU...]

Hello to you too @[...] Yes I do try to think about things other than symptoms, it is so boring otherwise.   

• Like 1

[Al...]

How do people keep from running to the ER when these weird symptoms pop up?  Im 4 months off and I just developed a twinge in the left cheek right below my eye.  The Benzo monster tells me it's not responsible, that Im having a stroke or some outlandish diagnosis  ....    My only other sxs are insomnia and loud tinnitus.   The twinge comes and goes and I have no clue what is happening. It feels like someone is pressing on my cheek  Can anyone relate?

Hello back to my friends here and hope youre having a decent weekend,

• Like 1

[Wi...]
8 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

How do people keep from running to the ER when these weird symptoms pop up?  Im 4 months off and I just developed a twinge in the left cheek right below my eye.  The Benzo monster tells me it's not responsible, that Im having a stroke or some outlandish diagnosis  ....    My only other sxs are insomnia and loud tinnitus.   The twinge comes and goes and I have no clue what is happening. It feels like someone is pressing on my cheek  Can anyone relate?

Hello back to my friends here and hope youre having a decent weekend,

I just got used to weird things. I have so much going on that any new symptom is like “oh, right, here we go, what a new delightful sensation”. My face often feels like some liquid is coming down my temples, I have tingles, burning, nerve pain, zaps, pressure, squeezing in my head/face and sometimes I even have squeezing in my nose. It’s ridiculous. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

[An...]
On 06/02/2024 at 08:12, [[W...] said:

Its crazy how you get it all over and I just get the squeezing in the head and only right side. I wouldn't mind some variety at this point ! Not really, its just relentless. All muscles radiating from the head to right shoulder, down the right back feel hard as nails, absolutely no stretch in them at all. 

I hope yours doesn't last as long. Actually just seen you've been off since late March 23 so I'm just a couple of weeks ahead of you as it was March 4th I stopped. 

Yeah, really weird how the pressure / squeezing can happen in different places for different individuals. I have what you describe but in my chest area and not the head area like what you have. Ugh--

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [[W...] said:

I just got used to weird things. I have so much going on that any new symptom is like “oh, right, here we go, what a new delightful sensation”. My face often feels like some liquid is coming down my temples, I have tingles, burning, nerve pain, zaps, pressure, squeezing in my head/face and sometimes I even have squeezing in my nose. It’s ridiculous. 

Absolutely the same attitude) I'm tired of being surprised and worried.

• Like 2

[Kr...]
7 hours ago, [[W...] said:

My face often feels like some liquid is coming down my temples

Finally. Someone has this, too. Mine is also in cheeks and lips sometimes. And it’s a cool/cold liquid feeling, not warm/hot.

• Like 1

[Wi...]
2 hours ago, [[K...] said:

Finally. Someone has this, too. Mine is also in cheeks and lips sometimes. And it’s a cool/cold liquid feeling, not warm/hot.

For me it changes. My lips and cheeks have more tingles some days. Sometimes I even feel like wind is blowing over my skin. 

• Like 1

[st...]
On 09/03/2024 at 15:39, [[W...] said:

I can absolutely relate . It’s been 7 months since I last took a benzo . I have never been through anything so debilitating and painful all my life. I get itchy , nerve pain , pulling and all kinds of electrical issues that surge through my body. It’s 4 AM here and it’s looking like it’s another sleepless night avoiding drifting off . Because that’s when the real bad stuff happens sometimes . Like someone is hitting my head with a taser. Arms feel weak , cognitive decline comes and goes by the hour . So confusing , and scary . Have to walk around my house every hour until pain subsides . I empathize. I’m sorry you’re fighting this too . I was only on it for about 2 months but I had a history of drinking which I think set the stage for benzo injury . Who knows , no one knows . everyone’s story can be different I suppose , but you’re not alone and there’s other humans on this earth who understand it . 99% of people youll run into , including doctors don’t. 

we will heal . 

• Like 1

[mr...]
On 09/03/2024 at 12:14, [[W...] said:

Well it is supposed to improve. It would be fantastic if someone told us it would all be good by a certain date. In the meantime it is all about finding ways to get through this ordeal.  I also have a whole variety of different tinnitus sounds, different every day. And worst of all is the sense of being hit hard on the back of the head with a baseball bat and living in the aftershock.  It is incredible what we are all dealing with

perfect description of what i feel daily

my ears were ringing so hard last night i had to look around for a second. then the tinnitus at night when im trying to sleep just makes it even worst. i only get 3-4 hours of sleep a night.

head hurts feels like its on fire right now but i cant sleep so im here....

[mr...]
3 hours ago, [[s...] said:

I can absolutely relate . It’s been 7 months since I last took a benzo . I have never been through anything so debilitating and painful all my life. I get itchy , nerve pain , pulling and all kinds of electrical issues that surge through my body. It’s 4 AM here and it’s looking like it’s another sleepless night avoiding drifting off . Because that’s when the real bad stuff happens sometimes . Like someone is hitting my head with a taser. Arms feel weak , cognitive decline comes and goes by the hour . So confusing , and scary . Have to walk around my house every hour until pain subsides . I empathize. I’m sorry you’re fighting this too . I was only on it for about 2 months but I had a history of drinking which I think set the stage for benzo injury . Who knows , no one knows . everyone’s story can be different I suppose , but you’re not alone and there’s other humans on this earth who understand it . 99% of people youll run into , including doctors don’t. 

we will heal . 

2 years since i last did mine.

I thought it was cigarette or weed withdrawals for about the first year but i  stopped both and still have horrible problems i never had before the benzos, i  remember when it first started (during withdrawals the first time) , but doctors and family will tell me it cant be from a one time thing.

I only did mines for 10 short days, i think the problem was combining it with alcohol and it caused me so sort of brain neuron or cellar death/ brain damage / injury.

I also walk around my house to distract me sometimes, confused, forgetting things within 5 secs. But theres really not much we can do it kind of sucks. Most relaxing thing i can do now its take a bath or just lay down and watch youtube when im not panicking or having a anxiety attack or overwhelmed with regret

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
[fa...]
On 06/02/2024 at 10:04, [[W...] said:

"Wu Wei, the squeezing developed within three weeks from the 1 day of tapering. It grew and grew and grew... It was everywhere, not just head. The first time the squeezing started to leave me was June and it was my low back, not the head or neck(

The same points of squeezing except the mouth. The most stiff are at the back of my head, above the neck. I think it helps if i stretch them. Not sure. But i feel the muscles cracking and it seems to help... 

Is the squeezing  traveling from one point to another or torturing you from all of them at onse?"

Its is interesting to get into the detail to compare.  Definitely the worst is back of the head where the spine joins. I guess that is the belly of the beast in terms of CNS and GABA receptors, where all the action takes is concentrated before it makes it way to the rest of the body. I occasionally wear a very soft neck collar just to keep some kind of equilibrium, but not for very long. Yes I get those loud cracks too, which may be a good thing I dunno.  The squeezing tends to occur from point to point and sometimes lately it feels the whole head is squeezing at once which is probably why I feel it is getting worse.  I'm not sure if stretching helps for me as nothing seems to be actually stretching, just pulling the surrounding tissue, eeek!  

Have you seen any progress on the muscle/joint front

[WU...]
Posted (edited)
On 14/06/2024 at 13:30, [[f...] said:

Have you seen any progress on the muscle/joint front

By progress I assume you mean improvement and the simple answer is no. Now at 15.5 months and my head is as bad as ever. Squeezing really hard deep inside the head, as well as cheeks, jaw, behind nose, under eyes, deep inside the ear, but only on the right side.  The left side is fine, how weird is that? All accompanied by buzzing which goes down the whole length of the spine. Generally have a sick feeling and very tired as well as balance issues. 

Edited by [WU...]

[fa...]
32 minutes ago, [[W...] said:

By progress I assume you mean improvement and the simple answer is no. Now at 15.5 months and my head is as bad as ever. Squeezing really hard deep inside the head, as well as cheeks, jaw, behind nose, under eyes, deep inside the ear, but only on the right side.  The left side is fine, how weird is that? All accompanied by buzzing which goes down the whole length of the spine. Generally have a sick feeling and very tired as well as balance issues. 

I try to do stuff around the house, cleaning, fixing small things etc. Otherwise I am only doing simple exercises which I have only just started. Really subtle, slow, almost imperceptible movements. These are Feldenkrais methods designed to retrain the nervous system. Whether this is effective on our nervous systems, given we have been injured by prescription drugs is yet to be seen but I can't see it does any harm. I think "less is more" in our situation and I definitely do not agree with "pushing through" when our tired and exhausted nervous system is still trying to recover.

There are several good Feldenkrais lessons on YT. One of my favourites is "Feldenkrais Access" channel . The lesson is called "Rotating Hands to restore your nervous system". There are a several other free lessons on this channel. He has a very soothing voice which helps. Interestingly someone wrote this in the comments below !

"I am amazed at how much that helped me. I'm struggling with a very sensitized nervous system, following years of psychiatric drug tapering and withdrawal. The benzo taper was especially horrific and I get these horrible days still, where I'm burning and in pain and crying and freaking out, even wanting to kill myself. Today has been off the charts bad. I just did this video and it calmed me right down, at least for the moment. I'm calmer and cooler and much more regulated. Thank you so much

Ugh. I'm 7 months out. One side of my body seems to be worse than the other too. My issues were from an ssri tho. I took a sleep med like 5 times. But lexapro really messed me up

[fa...]
38 minutes ago, [[W...] said:

I try to do stuff around the house, cleaning, fixing small things etc. Otherwise I am only doing simple exercises which I have only just started. Really subtle, slow, almost imperceptible movements. These are Feldenkrais methods designed to retrain the nervous system. Whether this is effective on our nervous systems, given we have been injured by prescription drugs is yet to be seen but I can't see it does any harm. I think "less is more" in our situation and I definitely do not agree with "pushing through" when our tired and exhausted nervous system is still trying to recover.

There are several good Feldenkrais lessons on YT. One of my favourites is "Feldenkrais Access" channel . The lesson is called "Rotating Hands to restore your nervous system". There are a several other free lessons on this channel. He has a very soothing voice which helps. Interestingly someone wrote this in the comments below !

"I am amazed at how much that helped me. I'm struggling with a very sensitized nervous system, following years of psychiatric drug tapering and withdrawal. The benzo taper was especially horrific and I get these horrible days still, where I'm burning and in pain and crying and freaking out, even wanting to kill myself. Today has been off the charts bad. I just did this video and it calmed me right down, at least for the moment. I'm calmer and cooler and much more regulated. Thank you so much

Does your neck and back pull into your head?

[WU...]
16 minutes ago, [[f...] said:

Does your neck and back pull into your head?

I would say muscles are severely contracted now that the benzos have done their worst so all muscles are affected to varying degrees. Can't really separate head, neck and back muscles as we are one complete body, its just that certain areas seem to show up as damaged or injured more than others.  Try and keep the whole body happy and the parts will take care of themselves. 

[fa...]
1 minute ago, [[W...] said:

I would say muscles are severely contracted now that the benzos have done their worst so all muscles are affected to varying degrees. Can't really separate head, neck and back muscles as we are one complete body, its just that certain areas seem to show up as damaged or injured more than others.  Try and keep the whole body happy and the parts will take care of themselves. 

Man. None of my body is happy. Have you tried or are you on any other meds? I know others have luck with an ssri or LDN.  I myself have had such awful luck with meds I am not