Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

When will it end? Anyone tempted to reinstate?

[Gr...]

Hi @[me...]

Unfortunately, your GP has been sadly misinformed.

You should definitely taper off slowly. 

Clonazepam is a very potent benzodiazepine.

1mg clonazepam is the equivalent of about 15mg Valium. 

You should not be looking at cold turkey as an option.

Thankyou wintersun... I don't have any options my gp won't have it.....I never done this before I seen on the forum about the Ashton's manual do you think that would help I'm so scared as I have other issues recovering from s bad accident. And chronic jaw pain it obvious my meds are not working I'm on 159mg pregablin which are awful and an antidepressant I feel toxic 

Thanks 🧜‍♀️

I really think you need to seek out a benzo wise GP to prescribe and help you taper off slowly, @[me...]

Your doctor is setting you up for what could very well be an extremely painful experience. 

Where are you situated… there may be a member, or members here who can point you towards a benzo wise doctor in or around your area. 

@[me...]

Could you just start your own thread on the Benzodiazepines Use, Withdrawal & Recovery Board. 

You could title it… Benzo Wise GP needed to prescribe and help taper 1mg clonazepam 

Hi I'm in the UK been wanting to change GPS bit feel too I'll my gp is not consistent with my prescriptions some times I have none for days like this weekend it's been hell and the out of hours GPS won't prescribe controlled drugs...I'm scared I'm losing my mobility  as I had to have my leg and upper arm plated and pinned 

Can you experience breathing problems and I've a continuous cough had the paramedics out twice my obs were ok but I hurt everywhere. 

I'm currently looking after a neighbour's elderly dog she's so sweet I had to get the paramedics out to my neighbour she was in a complete mess her family had gone away left her with no food and I couldn't find any food for the dog and no change of clothes for my neighbour...they have kept her in hospital so I'm dealing with a very clingy sml dog whose blind and incontinent she a sweetheart but I'm so stressed 

Thanks wintersun❣️

Yes @[me...], shortness of breath is common and the pain you are experiencing is also withdrawal. 

Your doctor has a lot to answer for, and in my opinion, shouldn’t be practicing medicine. 

I’m very sorry about the situation you find yourself in, but, I think the best thing to do from here is for you to start your own thread as mentioned above. 

Doing so will draw more members to offer you the feedback you need. 

@[Wi...] Thank you. I see these benzos want to hijack our bodies even when they should be out of our system.  

"You don’t have protracted symptoms. 

Protracted means one is still experiencing some symptoms over 18 months into their recovery. 

You are panicking that you will end up with a protracted recovery, but there is no way you can possibly know that. 

The fear you are experiencing is a symptom in itself. It will tell you all sorts of lies."

So, I don't have protracted -- yet -- if I ever will. Does that typically start later on?  Where does this facial swelling apply? I don't see it in acute or protracted lists anywhere. It's such an odd symptom of something. I can't figure it out to fix it.  I don't know where to go with this. 

I don't know why I have such an odd symptom. I'm not saying the burning sensation, but my face being swelled up.  I can't figure out what this is.  My nose is swollen! Ridiculous.  Why?  My cheeks are so swollen they make my eyes look swollen because they push up my lower lids. WTH could this be?  Benzo withdrawal?  Does withdrawal affect kidneys?  I haven't read that I don't seem to have odd urine or flank pain..

Does withdrawal cause skin inflammation? Does it cause a skin infection? I haven't read that.

Does withdrawal cause sinus problems? I haven't read that either. 

Along with the swelling, I do have numbness and burning in these areas. If it was just burning and numbness without any swelling, then I would understand that would be nerves or something like that and could be the parasthesia.  Again, this swelling doesn't add up.

I have to get rid of this. I'm like a circus freak as I had mentioned in another post.

What do I do?

Edited by [Gr...]
addition
  • Sad 1

@[Gr...] Just wanted to let you know that everything is going to be fine, but it might take more time than you had hoped.   One thing that has really helped me in this journey is radical acceptance.    I remember when I found out I was pregnant with my first child and  I was so excited and then reality set in.   My first thought was "There is no turning back now"!   I panicked for just a few days about being a new mom.   With benzo withdrawal there really is no turning back, but there is good news; every day you are getting closer to full recovery.    I believe acceptance can play a role in our recovery.    The other thing that has been helpful for me is practicing patience.    We live in a world where most things happen instantaneously; there is nothing instantaneous about benzo recovery.  It takes time, patience, acceptance, and hope.    I know that I am going to recover fully.   It may take longer than I want, but I cannot control that part.   I can control how I think about my recovery process and I try to stay positive.  Dig deep and you will find you are much stronger than you think.   You will find strength you didn't think possible.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, [[G...] said:

@[...] Hello. When you said after bad periods, what does that mean?  I'm looking forward to having a short recovery. All of this doesn't make sense to me how this keeps working on our system for so long?  If you don't drink, smoke, are in good health, that should make it faster, wouldn't you think?  The stuff is out of us especially if we took a short-acting benzo, so I don't understand why it's just not done and over with after a few weeks. That should be enough time for our system to readjust.  The body acclimates to things. None of it makes sense to me why it can linger or take so long in the first place.

There must be people, even at my age who have a early recovery. Are those the people we don't hear from because they are once and done?  They don't come here because they feel better faster and they can move forward?  There has to be people out there like that and not only young people?  I am a healthy person. I don't see why I would have trouble getting past this. I don't even know why it's lasted this long for me and to affect weird places like my skin and make it burn? I'm in burning pain again now. Every night it gets bad just when I need to get to sleep. Clockwork. 

I've had it with this. I am in a very, very dark place. This cannot be happening. I'm in disbelief. It has to end real soon.  I just want to cry. 

Hi again.  By "bad periods" I meant certain times during the recovery. 

You are not alone in not understanding why some people have problems after they stop, while most do not. Unless I've been out of the loop for too long, I don't think there's yet been discovered a definitive answer to this mystery.  

Benzo withdrawal has been called, after the old song, The Great Pretender, because it sometimes mimics the symptoms of various other health conditions. As you can imagine, this can cause a great deal of anxiety.   

Although you may not realize it, you have gotten through a very difficult period with flying colors.  I would encourage you to stay the course, and not reinstate.  There are many people on this site who are experts at this, and their experience can be very helpful. 

Edited by [...]
Grammar
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, [[m...] said:

Thanks wintersun how do I start my own thread I'm hopeless with technology 🧜‍♀️

@[me...]

If you scroll back to the top of this thread, just above the first post on the right hand side you will see the words ‘Start New Topic’ in blue. Click on start new topic and you will be able to start your own thread. 

Your most important issue right now is you need to find a benzo wise doctor in your area to prescribe and support a sensible taper from 1mg clonazepam. 

Hopefully someone here will be able to help guide you in the right direction. 

1 hour ago, [[C...] said:

Any of you guys working through this process. I read I need to start my taper and I also need to work. Will that be possible. 

It’s possible you’ll be able to work, @[Ch...], but, you will have to taper slowly to give yourself the best chance of maintaining the level of functionality needed to continue working throughout your taper. 

@[Re...] @[...] @[de...] Thank you.  I certainly understand. This is the strangest experience I've had.

Have I really done well?    So far the tremors passed -- I think. I first thought I could have MS. The tremors just appeared and I had trouble walking. At my age (66), you could imagine the doctor not suspecting that. I figured out it was the WD.

I do have temptations to reinstate and what saves me is I am not impulsive. I dread the idea of reinstating or taking anything like that. Although I did need to take a few Lyrica caps the last couple of days. I think it got me through the day. I don't like taking it either unless I am desperate.  I don't even want to take a maintenance med, not even a statin. I'd rather exercise to release stress and get my numbers in order.

I was up all night. The burning sensation is worse at night. It must be the benzo evil spirit. 

Edited by [Gr...]
  • Like 1

To anyone reading this, I am not sure what a wave and window are. Somehow today (yesterday) I was able to make it through the day in some kind of tolerable state for the first time. I was able to cook a full meal and do things around the house without feeling in pain. It seemed to be lessened. Before today, I have been in distress all day and night without a break. Today I thought I was got a reprieve and if this was a sign it was stopping.  I guess that was asking too much right now.  It started up again in intensity a few hours ago, but right now I feel a little calming again as I did earlier in the day. I didn't take anything, not even a Tylenol. It's not completely gone, but maybe tolerable enough that I can get a few hours of sleep.

Did I get a little break throughout the day -- like a window?   Is the wave when the pain comes back and in intensity? 

I don't know if these are signs that I may be squeezing this crap out of me as if I will (hopefully) be starting to have longer, better days if it continues on a trend.  I won't count my chickens before they hatch.

Thank you

• Like 2

I believe that you are experiencing a window. It is a wonderful feeling :) I am very happy for you! I think the windows are getting longer and waves will be less intense. I am still trying to figure these out... I think it depends on many factors, mostly stress (physical and emotional) and even on your thoughts and mindset. I have tried many different things that seemed to have a connection (good diet, light regular excersise, CBT, distraction), but I am still in the process..... :classic_blink:

• Like 3

@[Gr...] I agree with all that Reuben posted, having a better day is indeed a window. And even in the thick of things, how we react to stress will indeed cause our sx to get worse. I think you are on the right track, keep distracted and enjoy the time when you feel better, acceptance....is key to getting through this hard time. Fill your mind with good things, and try not to dwell on what can happen, and if it is this or that, you are in early acute wd, and we do not have a time line, it gets better in time. Stay Strong.💖 Peace and Healing.

• Like 2

@[Re...] @[be...]  Do you think it really could have been a window?  Am I grasping straws and imagining it happened?  I am not sure what was going on. I hope I get some more signs. I am keeping a log. Without sounding like a broken record, the facial burning is the worst, as well as confusing to me because I don't know why it is there? Last night when it became bad for those hours, it was excruciating as if someone had burning Saran (plastic) Wrap stretching across my face. I could not move my facial muscles, they were tight and burned. I never had Botox so I don't see this being a weak spot for me.  I didn't sleep. 

I am still inflamed up between my brows. That is something that came up in the last week. Odd. 

Thank you for the words of encouragement. 

12 minutes ago, [[G...] said:

@[Re...] @[be...]  Do you think it really could have been a window?  Am I grasping straws and imagining it happened?  I am not sure what was going on. I hope I get some more signs. I am keeping a log. Without sounding like a broken record, the facial burning is the worst, as well as confusing to me because I don't know why it is there? Last night when it became bad for those hours, it was excruciating as if someone had burning Saran (plastic) Wrap stretching across my face. I could not move my facial muscles, they were tight and burned. I never had Botox so I don't see this being a weak spot for me.  I didn't sleep. 

I am still inflamed up between my brows. That is something that came up in the last week. Odd. 

Thank you for the words of encouragement. 

Yes I think it was a window.:classic_smile:

• Like 1

1) Do you know if everyone gets protracted?  I saw Dr. Witt-Doerring who said not everyone gets it. 

2) How about gray hair after withdrawal?  Is that an uncommon or rare symptom?  I see here some people had that problem mostly with Klonopin. I never had a gray hair. I don't see it yet.

3) How about hair loss? Is that rare and uncommon?  My hair seems to be in better shape. It actually became dry while I was on Xanax and Ambien over the summer. One of the reasons I felt the meds were doing something to me and needed to stop them.

4) How about premature aging?  Is this uncommon where I shouldn't be concerned?  

These are a few of the things I dread happening to me. If I count the average 50 hours it takes for Xanax to leave my system,

September 27 (today) is 6.5 weeks since Xanax taper

September 28 will be 1 month since the stupid very last dose of 0.25 I took on 8/25 and 8/26 -- I have no idea why I took those 2 small doses. Weakness?

October 13 will be 1 month since completely stopping Ambien. 

Should I wait see when October 13 rolls around to see if these symptoms subside?  

I am petrified of this and what is is doing to me. 

@[Gr...]I honestly don't think that you would be weak. On the contrary! You're in the thick of withdrawal for many weeks now. I believe this tells a lot about character, it requires a lot of strength. Don't beat yourself up because of those 2 doses. As I read it happened to others as well.

Though I am going through this too right now and I am afraid, I honestly don't believe that everyone would be a protracted case. 

This process makes us to zoom in all our fears and weaknesses. It is so hard to tell which one of these fears makes sense at all. Everything is exaggerated and full of terrible toxic fear and decay. It is horrible. I hope it eases on, for all of us... 

I don't have the experience to tell if hair loss or grey hair, or premature aging is a thing in this process or not, but practicing good, even better self care may be of good use. I hope a more experienced buddy can help you with this question. 

[ab...]