A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

things that have been helping

[am...]

hey guys,

just thought i’d share some things that have been helping me through this wave - for context i’ve been in a wave since around July where i’ve been experiencing mood disturbance, emotional blunting, shock pain, visual snow, floaters, burning pain, pins and needles ect. i’ve been in c/t withdrawal since august last year and am protracted :) i thought i could report on what i’ve found helpful to manage some of my symptoms. not sure if i’m posting in the right place. 

1) i’ve recently, as in very recently, e ewwww i started meditating and am finding it really helpful in the mornings. i use the headspace app and it’s helping me to feel a bit more grounded in reality as sometimes i wake up quite disoriented. they have heaps of different meditations but i usually do just the shorter ones as my mind easily wanders. its helped me feel more positive about my situation so far.

2) for shock and burning pain cold showers have helped. idk if this will work for you but i basically stand in an ice cold shower for a few minutes and then make it warm and i feel like my nervous system has been reset, at-least temporarily. apparently there’s studies behind the use of ice baths to reduce stuff like chronic pain and mental illness ect. something about blood flow and shocking the system? just thought i’d let you guys knows it somewhat helps me when i’m desperate. i’m not a professional and if you’re sensitive to temperature maybe give it a miss. 

3) pressure really helps if i’m getting shock pain at night. sometimes i layer pillows on top of me or get my weighted blanked. it also helps if i’m feeling a bit restless. i don’t know if it reduces the amount of pain per se. but i do feel like it helps me be more grounded in my body and helps me to focus on my body as a whole rather than the parts of it that are being shocked or burning. 

4) tea - drinking tea helps me feel calmer if i am feeling anxiety and also if my pain is high. i feel like it helps to ground me. i try to be careful about what sorts of teas im drinking, as i cant have any caffeine. so i drink mostly peppermint or herbal types. i know some herbal teas can have an affect on the cns so i like to research them before i give them a go. for me it’s not really about the benefits of the herbs or anything, i just like the warm feeling and it acts as a distraction and helps me feel relaxed. 

those are just some things that have helped me. they’re probably really common and i don’t think i’ve said anything groundbreaking but i think it’s important to share my positive experiences along with my negative experiences. 

hope you’re all doing well,

Ambs 

• Like 2

Hi @[am...], it doesn’t matter if these suggestions have been given before, its important we see them over and over again because this reinforces the fact that they can help, we’re not helpless or hopeless.  Thank you for letting us know what works for you, any tips to lessen our symptoms is much appreciated. :smitten:

Thank you @[am...], I agree with Pam, and I also think that all of us need to read about things that have helped, the thing is...that when one is in the muddy mire of benzo wd or post wd, thoughts are not about things that will help. Most are having looping thoughts of what is going on, and most can not get outside of their comfort zone and realize, that we have to help ourselves to feel better, will it take away all of the pain and horrible things that happen, no, but if we can find sometime to hang on to, we are one step ahead of the benzo >:D this is so true. I think it is also so important to share the good with the bad, and to let others know that we can cope during both. Stay Strong.💖 Peace and Healing.

"

3 minutes ago, [[b...] said:

Thank you @[am...], I agree with Pam, and I also think that all of us need to read about things that have helped, the thing is...that when one is in the muddy mire of benzo wd or post wd, thoughts are not about things that will help. Most are having looping thoughts of what is going on, and most can not get outside of their comfort zone and realize, that we have to help ourselves to feel better, will it take away all of the pain and horrible things that happen, no, but if we can find sometime to hang on to, we are one step ahead of the benzo >:D this is so true. I think it is also so important to share the good with the bad, and to let others know that we can cope during both. Stay Strong.💖 Peace and Healing.

"

I might try that app