A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

Feeling Effects of Cuts

[al...]

For those who are tapering,  how long on average does it take you to feel symptoms after you've made a cut?   I've been tapering Valium and its been taking 12 days to feel symptoms from a cut.  Seems weird that it would taken that long to feel symptoms that far out from a cut. 

Hello @[al...],

I am not tapering, I completed the process years ago. However, ultimately I tapered from Valium. Yes, it does have a long half life so it can take a while for withdrawal symptoms to appear. I always cut on Friday because the worse symptoms happened over the weekend. When I jumped off I had a honeymoon of sorts. I felt great for more then a week and then withdrawal hit pretty hard. While 12 days is a while, I wouldn’t doubt it’s possible.

pianogirl

9 minutes ago, [[a...] said:

Piano girl, when you made your cuts on a Friday, would you feel the cuts THAT weekend? 

Gosh, I meant to put that I cut on Thursday. Withdrawal is so far in my past i sometimes forget. Yes, I felt the most intense symptoms over the weekend. But, I was never really symptom free throughout the process. 

Everyone will have a different withdrawal experience, we’re all unique individuals.

I know when I make a cut from being stable that is, it dose not effect me until day 12-15 then I feel it really bad.

This has been my experience though just lately at a daily dose of .94 mgs. To a daily dose of .92 mgs. My GI stuff has gone crazy. Always have some of that stuff but never this strong or this long. It sucks

I'm tapering from Xanax, which is short acting, so when I cut, if I feel anything, I feel it 2 days later- but it is usually mild. 

Valium's active metabolite has a long half-life- roughly 40 hours, so about 10-14 days out is when you will feel it. 

27 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

Valium's active metabolite has a long half-life- roughly 40 hours, so about 10-14 days out is when you will feel it. 

Hello @[Be...]. Thank you for lending a helping hand to the OP. 

A point of clarification, if I may …. 

Per StatPearls (link below), diazepam/Valium has two main active metabolites — diazepam and desmethyldiazepam. The half-life of diazepam is 46 hours and the half-life of desmethyldiazepam is 100 hours.

@[al...], you can get a rough estimate of the time it will take for a drug to be eliminated from the body using this calculator: 

Drug Half-life Explained: Calculator, Variables & Examples

Link:
Diazepam - StatPearls - NCBI Bookshelf

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies.. just so strange how I feel normal after a cut but that it's taking on average 12-13 days to feel it.   Messes with the head a bit

@[al...] Maybe think of it this way, it could be much worse, you might be in horrible wd and in the depths of despair, but you are doing better than some and and it takes 12-13 days to feel it. I guess what I am saying I am glad you are not being slammed right away. Stay Strong.Being  Grateful is one of the keys  to recovery I think. 💖 Peace and Healing.

Edited by [be...]
spelling
  • Like 1