A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

Should I taper any lower at my age? Have other problems, too...but taper is horrible!

[Ka...]

Hi, Folks, glad to have found you, yet wish I hadn't....lol

I am a 72 year old female, who has been on clonazepam since 2010. Was able to go from 2 mg. to 1.5 several years ago with little problem. Am trying to get to 1mg, as, at my age and health, I don't think I can take the withdrawal to go all the way off. At any rate, I have cut .125 from the 1.5 and am almost a month out and having pretty nasty nausea, which increases the anxiety. I also suffer from IBS, which complicates things, not knowing which is causing which. Any advice is welcome.

My main reason is my age and worry over falling or confusion, although I haven't had that problem, as yet. At my age, I am thinking I may stay on it, at least 1 mg for life. Too many problems for me to deal with withdrawal.   :-[

Edited by [Ka...]
add emoji!

Hello @[Ka...] and welcome to Benzo Buddies!

Everyone must decide what is best for themselves, whether it be staying on benzos or tapering off.

I’m also 72! I started my taper when I was in my 60’s because the drug was actually making me ill. How are you doing in general on the clonazepam?

Clonazepam is a strong benzo, so even a reduction of .125 can bring on symptoms. Some people taper very very slowly, making small reductions. I’m not an expert in this method, my taper was not at all organized. If you start a thread on the Taper Board I’m sure members can provide more information.

It seems you are aware of the possible effects of taking benzos long term such as cognitive issues. This was also a concern for because I am still working. 

Please ask questions, we’ll be happy to help and share our collective experience.

pianogirl :smitten:

Hi, @[pi...], I am working with a new psychiatrist who is very empathetic with those of us who are now physically dependent on these drugs. I am so blessed and grateful to find him. What I CAN'T find, however, is the Taper Board..lol...can you direct me?

Thanks so much, and nice to meet you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [[K...] said:

Hi, @[pi...], I am working with a new psychiatrist who is very empathetic with those of us who are now physically dependent on these drugs. I am so blessed and grateful to find him. What I CAN'T find, however, is the Taper Board..lol...can you direct me?

Thanks so much, and nice to meet you.

@[Ka...], it’s great news that you have a provider who is caring and will help you through this process. In my experience, this is very rare.

Here is the Taper Forum.

https://benzobuddies.org/forum/120-taper-planning-adjustment/

Why don’t you start a thread, let others know your situation in terms of medication, dosage and length of use. There are many members who are very knowledgeable about taper plans and will give you good information so you can move forward with your taper.

My taper was rough and somewhat disorganized. I didn’t find this forum until after I finished that part of the process, but BB was my lifeline during my recovery.

It’s a pleasure to meet you too!

pianogirl :smitten: