A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

Advice needed on avoiding kindling after very short term usage after previous discontinuation.

[Oz...]

After attempting to commence prozac to address increasing depression, my nervous system/brain chemistry went haywire and I got servere agitation, possibly akasthisia that went on for days (I used for several years a few years back - no problems).

I presented at ER and they prescribed me 5 mg of valium PRN for short term usage which I held off taking for several days, then out of desperation then took 2.5mg a day for 4 days. Today I feel stable. 

Given my my usage of 5mgs of valium for 6 months then the taper to zero for 6 months last year and the moderate to high level of withdrawal symptoms on complete discontinuation for several months; should I taper this short term usage or stopping is ok? 

My nervous system does seem very sensitive now, I can't even drink anymore without days of significant anxiety after. I also still have exercise intolerance.

I'm now praying I haven't upset things even more now! 🙏

Any advice greatly appreciated

Edited by [Oz...]

@[Oz...],

I do not believe you need to taper with such short term use of Valium. You might feel some effects for a short time but they should ease up quickly. The longer you stay in a benzo, the stronger the potential for dependency, and you’ve been down this road before.

When you speak of drinking, do you mean alcohol? Alcohol targets the same receptors as benzos so many people have negative effects. I did not have an alcoholic drink until I had been healed for a good while. Still, I’m a light drinker, just a glass of wine on occasion.

pianogirl

• Like 1

4 hours ago, [[p...] said:

@[Oz...],

I do not believe you need to taper with such short term use of Valium. You might feel some effects for a short time but they should ease up quickly. The longer you stay in a benzo, the stronger the potential for dependency, and you’ve been down this road before.

When you speak of drinking, do you mean alcohol? Alcohol targets the same receptors as benzos so many people have negative effects. I did not have an alcoholic drink until I had been healed for a good while. Still, I’m a light drinker, just a glass of wine on occasion.

pianogirl

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, sorry I meant drinking booze. I'm going to continue not drinking indefinitely! Fingers crossed I don't get major rebound anxiety and/or the return of the worse of the withdrawals again like insomnia from this small amount 🤏 of valium for 4 days. It's been 2 days no without. Given its half life I suppose i need to wait a week and see. 

Edited by [Oz...]