A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

Withdrawals from Mirtazapine (Cold Turkey?)

[ca...]

hello! i dont want to make this too long so i'll write the gist of what went down.

May 2022: i had panic attacks then i started taking paroxetine 10mg for 3 months (i think) but stopped cold turkey because they weren't working for me. thats when my insomnia started. i didnt know stopping cold turkey was bad. my doctor didnt tell me then. after that, he told me to take clonazepam 0.5mg for about 3 months then stopped. took quetiapine 25mg for 2 months (this helped with sleep for a while like i actually felt drowsy after taking it until it stopped working).

Feb 2023: i started taking mirtazapine 30mg for about 3 months then went to drinking 15mg, then down to 7.5mg until August.

August 2023: I decided to stop drinking mirtazapine in August because of the STOMACH ISSUES. i'd feel SUPER bloated and have acid reflux and NAUSEA. i didnt like to eat at all. i lost SO MUCH weight. i wanted to just puke everything out. days after i stopped mirt, i felt A WHOLE LOT better. but then the stomach issues came back!

update, Sept 2023: for almost 2 weeks, i'm going through horrible withdrawals right now. i went about 1 week without proper sleep (30mins-1hr a day only) but it has gotten better since. i've been getting 4-6hrs of sleep without any sort of medication now. only problem is that i don't feel sleepy or tired! i sort of just close my eyes (for hours it feels like) then drift off to sleep (thank God, better than no sleep at all!) right now, it feels like its hard to breathe because of the acids in my stomach (it even feels like its up to my throat now). is this normal? i'm taking antacids to help with the discomfort. 

i know for a fact that it's from the withdrawals but i'm still pretty worried that maybe my gut got inflamed or something? or if this gut issues doesnt go away. or maybe my sleep won't go back to normal? please let me know your thoughts on this and thank you for sharing 💖 hope you're doing better!

Hello @[ca...], welcome to BenzoBuddies,

You sound really miserable, yes, many of us weren’t aware these medications need to be tapered, I’m sorry to hear you’re still experiencing issues. Which medication do you feel is causing you the most difficulties?  Did you experience withdrawal symptoms when you discontinued the Clonazepam?

Pamster

Hello! Thank you for replying! when i stopped taking paroxetine last year, i think that was when my insomnia started. my sleep didnt get better since then. the clonazepam helped but i also didnt want to depend on it too much so i stopped that too.

i was on Mirtazapine for longer i think. from Feb to August 2023. i might be going through withdrawals from mirt. the stomach issues on this medication is pure torture. my throat feels like its closing as i'm typing this. it makes it hard to relax and sleep. it really just feels like acids but the fact that i cant breathe is the cause of my panic from before. so thats why i'm worried. does this get better?

my nose is also getting super runny! maybe the throat thing has something to do with my nose but i'm really not sure. and i don't want to take any medication for this like antihistamine because it might mess with my sleep