Important Survey - Please Participate ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

Benzo-wise therapist?

[je...]

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know of a benzo-wise therapist?

I do not know if I even think it will help, but I feel like I am actually losing my mind and I'm scared and have to at least exhaust all options.

I am in Brooklyn, Ny. but since most therapists do telehealth now so I don't think location matters.

Thank you very much for any leads,

xJenny

Hey there!    

If you go to the Benzodiazepine Information Coalition website at  "benzoinfo.com", you will find lots of resources.   They have a list of benzo wise doctors in NYC.  Those doctors may know of therapists in NYC that are benzo wise.   Just a thought!   

There is also a list of "coaches" that could help as well.  

Where are you in your taper?     If possible would you be able to put your benzo history in the "About Me" section of your profile.  This information is really helpful when responding to questions you might have.

I am sorry you are struggling.   I have read where many members have received a lot of help from therapy.    

1 hour ago, [[j...] said:

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know of a benzo-wise therapist?

I do not know if I even think it will help, but I feel like I am actually losing my mind and I'm scared and have to at least exhaust all options.

I am in Brooklyn, Ny. but since most therapists do telehealth now so I don't think location matters.

Thank you very much for any leads,

xJenny

I found the benzo coaches really helpful.  I've spoken to nearly all of them to find the ones that I click with the best.  The downside is they are private pay where most therapists accept insurance.  I am able to do therapy for a small copay and then periodically visit with coaches as my needs and budget allows.  

I know for me "regular" therapy didn't really help until I was further out.  For me, the rational part of me wasn't present strongly enough to manage emotional responses and my runaway limbic system.  I think it's helped a lot of others though, it all depends on the person.

I know there are some benzo wise therapists though so your question is a good one if you could get "coaching" and therapy!  

• Like 1

Hi Decatur, Thank you very much for responding. I have gone through the list on benzoinfo.com, but unfortunately the list is totally outdated and the doctors listed are no longer available. In fact I just went to the site and it looks like the state by state benzo-wise doctors list is no longer on there. Maybe I just cant find it.

I have tried to transfer my history from the former benzobuddies site, but I'm not sure it worked. In short I was on 6mg Ativan and finished my taper at the end of January. Of course there is much, much more to my horrific story but to keep this brief I'm just focused on what is happening now. I am now suffering from intense waves of extreme depression, panic, SI, dysmorphia, depersonalization etc. I am aware that is the brain and cns damage and that talk therapy may not do much, but maybe it would be helpful in some way. And thank you for mentioning that some other members had good results with therapy. Thank you for the information about the lecture. I will check it out.

xJenny

Hi Accidentaldependant,

Thank you for replying, I really appreciate it. I have spoken to several of the benzo coaches and did not really get much useful help there. I'm sure we are all so different and I'm glad you have had some help there! I have not spoken to Baylissa and I do like her talks on youtube very much so maybe I can try her.

Thank you for letting me know that therapy has been useful to you, it encourages me to continue to pursue that possibility.

xJenny

My experience with therapists is that they will focus on your emotions and what is going on in your life. They generally won't want to focus on medication because that is out of their arena and it is not something they can directly help with. That said, therapy can be extremely helpful in dealing with issues in your life that contribute to making withdrawal more difficult.

I'll tread lightly here, but I know my own impulse was to blame every single issue I had on the medication, which turns out, was not productive. I believe that issues we are already dealing with are exacerbated and made worse by withdrawal, no doubt.