Important Survey - Please Participate ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

Bad wave, request support please

[Ac...]

So early 2023 was going well.  It was going so well that I started to feel like testing the waters with a non-alcoholic beer.  The thought first crossed my mind September 2022, but I refrained, waiting for a time when I was more healed and I passed my 2 years off anniversary.  In April I tried one and it went ok.  I tried a few more in May, and maybe 8 or so total until today.  Again these were all non alcoholic and 0.5% or less.  All went ok.  I don't have any desire to drink real beer, probably ever again - NA beer is good enough for me, frankly.  

Well yesterday I had another even though I started dealing with some windows and waves in July and August.  I didn't sleep much last night and feel very symptomatic today- shaky, tachycardia, can't focus, or sit still.  

I'm terrified I set myself back and kicking myself for being too brave.  Can anyone help me or provide some reassurance?  

I am not sure what to tell you.   I am assuming that non-alcoholic beer is completely devoid of alcohol.    How long have you been off benzos?

My thought would be that you are not having a setback, but just the normal ebb and flow of symptoms.   It is quite common to be doing very well, and then have a reoccurrence of symptoms.

Hopefully some others will weigh in who have had experience with non-alcoholic beer.

I'm still tapering k and at a fairly low dose of 0.276 and do drink NA beer from time to time.    I know we each are different but I haven't had any issues with NA beer.  You have consumed NA beer before without incident so I agree with @[de...] that this is not likely a setback from drinking NA beer but the normal ebb and flow of recovery symptoms.   To play it safe I'd hold off on drinking any NA beer now just to be sure.   There are NA beers with 0.0% alcohol.

You have come a long ways and are 2 years off, which is great.    I pray this tough time will pass very quickly for you.

53 minutes ago, [[d...] said:

I am not sure what to tell you.   I am assuming that non-alcoholic beer is completely devoid of alcohol.    How long have you been off benzos?

My thought would be that you are not having a setback, but just the normal ebb and flow of symptoms.   It is quite common to be doing very well, and then have a reoccurrence of symptoms.

Hopefully some others will weigh in who have had experience with non-alcoholic beer.

No it's not completely devoid, it's 0.5% or less which is about 1/10th a normal beer.  That's why I held off for a long time, but tried it before with no repercussions.  There are some that are devoid and I was ok with those too.  The one last night was a 0.5 or less, which is why I'm panicking about setting myself back

48 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

I'm still tapering k and at a fairly low dose of 0.276 and do drink NA beer from time to time.    I know we each are different but I haven't had any issues with NA beer.  You have consumed NA beer before without incident so I agree with @[de...] that this is not likely a setback from drinking NA beer but the normal ebb and flow of recovery symptoms.   To play it safe I'd hold off on drinking any NA beer now just to be sure.   There are NA beers with 0.0% alcohol.

You have come a long ways and are 2 years off, which is great.    I pray this tough time will pass very quickly for you.

I won't do anymore.  It's just not worth it.  When I had them with no issues I was happy I could handle that and feel social but if there's any chance at all I feel like this then it's not worth it.  No more.  

I just don't want to pay for it for an extended period of time. :-(

2 hours ago, [[A...] said:

So early 2023 was going well.  It was going so well that I started to feel like testing the waters with a non-alcoholic beer.  The thought first crossed my mind September 2022, but I refrained, waiting for a time when I was more healed and I passed my 2 years off anniversary.  In April I tried one and it went ok.  I tried a few more in May, and maybe 8 or so total until today.  Again these were all non alcoholic and 0.5% or less.  All went ok.  I don't have any desire to drink real beer, probably ever again - NA beer is good enough for me, frankly.  

Well yesterday I had another even though I started dealing with some windows and waves in July and August.  I didn't sleep much last night and feel very symptomatic today- shaky, tachycardia, can't focus, or sit still.  

I'm terrified I set myself back and kicking myself for being too brave.  Can anyone help me or provide some reassurance?  

@[Ac...] Everyone is different, but I honestly would be surprised if the NA beer - even with less than 0.5% alcohol - caused your symptoms. I think it's a coincidence and just the flow of life.  I don't have experience with NA beer, but I have had beer diluted with sparkling water, and I didn't feel like it derailed my taper. I may not have felt GREAT for a day, but by the next day I was "back to normal". Hoping you feel much better soon!