Important Survey - Please Participate ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

Has Anyone had Experience with Librium Cross Over to Valium?

[Pa...]

I know few people are on Librium, and I also know that some people think you can taper from it since it's long acting like Valium.  But I'm struggling and have been for a year.  I should be off by now instead I'm stuck at 40mg and miserable.

There is no real info on crossing over to Valium. The reason I want to do this is because I can not tolerate multiple doses per day, and while Libriums active metabolite is the same as Valium,  the half life of the Active part of Librium is a good deal shorter than Valium.  My doctor would be on board with a switch, but I want to make sure I do it right.

The conversion ratio alone is so confusing when it comes to Librium, I'm guessing it's because it's such an old drug.  Ashton says 25 librium = 10 Valium.   But there are calculators online that put my 40mg dose of Librium right around 12 to 13 MG.  Then a few says it's only 8mg of Valium while another says as high as 30 MG.

Its all just so confusing. I'd just stay on librium if I could tolerate this , and I know Valium is no guarantee of symptom relief.  But on Librium it doesn't matter how long I hold I never get stable.  I think my big mistake was last year when I was down to 25mg librium , went into a heavy wave and jumped right back to 50mg Librium, and that dose "stuck" since then I've been slowly tapering in tolerance.