Important Survey - Please Participate ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

Non-engagement response to withdrawal symptoms

[Li...]

Fellow benzo withdrawal traveler and psychotherapist Jennifer Swantkowski shares her ideas about using a non-engagement response to ‘hack’ (deal with) benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms in this audio clip:

• Like 2

This is great. Thank you for posting this. I imagine this technique would be especially helpful to those who tend to perseverate on symptoms. I also like it because the individual still makes note of symptoms, which can certainly help inform decisions throughout a tapering process. However, a non-engagement response won’t “fuel” the symptoms, whatever they may be. It’s a big ask for many folks going through this, but I think it’s worth a try for sure. Very cool.

• Like 1

@[M....] Tip of the hat for providing us with a spot on summary of the key points made in this audio clip!  You’ve also made an excellent point of your own — the need to monitor symptoms to inform the tapering process without making them worse by obsessing/ruminating/catastrophizing about them. 

Jennifer has another audio clip you might enjoy on how to use online benzodiazepine withdrawal and recovery support communities such as BenzoBuddies in a healthful manner. I especially like her concept of feeding our minds a ‘nutritious diet’ rather than ‘junk food’ during benzodiazepine withdrawal and recovery.