A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

Symptoms are back.

[...]

Hi all.  I cant believe I am back . . . 

A bit of history: 32 months  since my ativan jump and 20 months since my horrific setback from steroids.  I was 80-90% recovered and decided to leave BB to get on with my life last week.  Seriously, nearly no symptoms at all.  And now this.  

I have been suffering with daily migraines and decided to go on a preventative, Norvasac, a calcium channel blocker.  I did all of my research and found nothing that would cause a setback or even a wave.  The moment I got on them 4 days ago the migraine went away.  I was on the most micro dose ever 1.25mg.  

I am up this morning at 2:30 am with the worst wave ever:  burning skin, severe anxiety, pacing around my house, crying, it is horrible.  Am I never going to get on with my life?  Am I never going be able to tolerate any medications?  This is awful.

The med has a 30-50 hour half life so I am in for some terrible days ahead.  What is this doing to my body.  My god I hope this is not a setback!!  I can’t do this again. 

• Like 4

I am so sorry to read that you are suffering, it is so unfair to have such sx this far out....but our Brain is so sensitive to medications and such, even a very stressful time, can bring on problems. Have you found out what is causing your migraines? I will say that when I had my first Cataract removed, I was sick for a whole week after it, felt like wd at times...when I asked the Doc that gave the meds for pain and such, he said that because he felt I was anxious, he added a little bit of Valium :classic_rolleyes: not happy when I heard about this. Well the second Cataract removal I did fine...no Valium!! So I think our bodies and brain are still sensitive longer than we think. I hope as the days go by, you feel back to your normal and the headaches cease. Stay Strong. 💖 Peace and Healing.

• Like 1

JBen:   I am sorry you are experiencing symptoms again.  This is such a difficult process and we never know when we might be sensitive to a new substance.   

Are migraines something you struggled with before you started taking Ativan?   

• Like 1

Hey all.  Thank you for the responses.  It always helps to know there is support and a community here.  Last week I was feeling so good I asked to be discharged from my CBT therapist and now I feel like maybe I need to go back to her again.  Ugh.

I’ve had migraines since I was 15 so this is not new.  From 15 to 50 the migraines have gotten progressively worse.  Five years before the ativan incident I was on a migraine preventative that worked really well.  Tried to go back on that and it gave me a horrible wave and now this one gave me a horrible wave.  Ugh.  

What is interesting is that about 6 months before the ativan incident I was diagnosed with H Pylori and given 4 antibiotics to take.  After taking all those antibiotics I didnt have a single migraine for 2 years!!  So, while I am not sure because I have not been tested, I think they may be related to a gut bacteria problem.  I do have other triggers like perfume and pollen but the migraines are coming every three days and lasting three days so I have pretty much had a headache at various levels everyday for the last 3 months.

On top of all that I have stenosis in my back and it is causing severe leg pain.  So if I am adding everything up, my head is in severe pain, my legs in pain, my nerves are burning from this new wave and my chemical/physical anxiety is out of control!

if nothing else, all this pain is teaching me how to be resilient lol.  Just gotta keep going.

Ahhh relief.  It seems most of the wave has past.  I am off the meds.  My body is stronger!  This is not a setback but just a wave.  I got through it!!  I am back to baseline now!!!

• Like 3

It has been a little over a week now . . . It is a setback . . . Maybe about a month or two . . . Not super terrible but I am experiencing a LOT of symptoms that I havent been experiencing in months.  All from a single pill that has nothing to do with benzo or gaba receptors or anything like that.  My neurologist (and I trust her) says that my body has created ‘protective neural pathways.’  And that most anything is going to set my body off until it learns there is not actually a threat.  May take a year or years . . . She doesnt know.

And yes AD I am still experiencing LOTS of migraines.  We are trying to find the triggers.  I dont think I can take any more preventative drugs for it.  Heck I cant even take a tylenol without my body going into severe shock for a few days.

• Like 1

So sorry, JBen, to hear of this setback!   You and I seem particularly susceptible to reactions to meds and foods.   I also am still having headaches, but my most recent MRI, MRA, and EEG tests show a healthy brain with no migraine type headaches.  Mine seem to relate more to allergy and sinus headaches that come and go, sometimes within a few hours of onset to gone with the wind.  What is so weird is that I house and dog sat last weekend for two nights and three days and had no headache and no other symptoms.  My doctor has asked me to have our all cedar wood house fully checked for mold and mildew.  My house is set on a heavily wooded lot with lots of mulch surrounding it.  We have quarterly insect and termite inspections, but will now have a company who specializes in mold and mildew check our house next week.  I had no prior history of headaches before taking Valium for one year.   We certainly have suffered enough and need to feel the healing!

Big hugs,

GG

• 2 weeks later...

So sorry to read this. I am also that sensitive. I also seem to be affected by the most benign things such as d-mannose even so even supplements are no go. 

I am over a year into a setback which began with one med and then I had to take a few drugs (infection in pregnancy and then c-section) and I feel like I am never going to get any better and possible uti or something similar that will require me to take something just makes me terrified because it seems I am not healing at all because I always end up needing something. I think I would have to take zero meds or supplements for a few years in order to heal at all. I do have beautiful windows with few symptoms when I start living again like a normal human being and then there are horrific waves that leave me shattered.

Edited by [Wi...]

Just want to say I used to get migraines.. I found out the hot baths I was having was the cause and stopped. Not had a migraine since

Get well soon everyone.

Edited by [Bi...]